Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

mauman posted:

Just found this this

Looks like a combination of wizardry and Shadowrun IN SPACE of all things

Still early access so I haven't decided if I'm going to buy it, but it definitely looks intriguing if you're into this kind of game.

God-loving dammit, now I know what my review budget is going on this month, as soon as I actually have some money. To find out about this the day after my birthday, too, is just plain annoying. Oh well, wishlisted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Meanwhile, back at the room...

I'll keep watch. you owe me...

Well, maybe not if the looks on their faces will be like I think. Tee hee!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 22, 2016

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Chokes, you're a fuckin' star. I couldn't stop laughing through most of this update. Also yeah, there are lots of unofficial scales. My personal favourite is the Eye of the Beholder scale of Enemy Dickery, going from "Single Kobold" (Awww, look at this widdle guy doing d6 damage... Oops, I grazes him and he fell down!) all the way to "Four Mind Flayers Hiding Round A Corner" (You'd think "Beholder" was at the top of this list, but no, Beholder bullshit has nothing on "INVISIBLE All Party Paralyze Projectile")

You can tell how badly a game is balanced by this scale, because it goes up and down hilariously quickly in EoB (Lvl 1: Kobolds. Lvl 3: Wait, Did Someone Misread the Kuo-Toa Entry, Where Did That Lightning Come From? and then... Lvls 4 and 5: Infinispawning Poisonous Spiders Before You Get Cure Poison. Level 6: Uhhh, Thri-Kreen can paralyse people, sometimes. Also Groups of Kenku with a non-homing Magic Missile, I guess.)

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

It's spelled 'Llewellyn' though, isn't it?

As the resident Welshman, I can in fact confirm that Llewyn is a perfectly valid welsh name that's been used, as a short form of Llewellyn , or possibly a corruption of Llawen. Due to the fact that Welsh is, effectively, a language that's been necromanced to hell and back (Although it has some very simple rules regarding concatenation and grammar that are similar to German, so we can be fairly confident of all but the more recent welsh words and phrasings), we can't be 100% sure.

Nonetheless, it may be interesting to note that Llewyn would, technically, translate to "Of the Lion" , although this is considered a folk belief. To further muddy the waters, a lot of these opinions come from english scholars. The same english scholars who somehow managed to turn what's most likely a scottish onomatopoeia into a folkloric monster, and claimed that Annwn is a land of the dead or fairies (Annwn, original spelling Anhwn, Lit. "Not here".) :haw:

Other welsh names have other interesting potential meanings. For example, some from the Mabinogion.

Pwyll - Literally "Prudence/Prudent." Highly fitting, considering his story arc in the Mabinogion.
Branwen - Fran y wyn, "the White Crow." Supporting this is her big brother (in every sense)
Bendegeidfran - Ben dy Gwyd Fran "Head of the White Crow" (Gwyd and Gwyn are both spellings of white)
Blodauwedd - "Floral Guise" . She was made of flowers to be the bride of...
Lleu Llaw Gyffes - Etymology unclear, but if you want someone who had an even sillier weakness than Achilles, look no further!

How to kill a Welsh Hero in the most convoluted manner possible. And still gently caress it up. posted:

Blodeuwedd tricks Lleu into revealing how he may be killed, since he cannot be killed during the day or night, nor indoors or outdoors, neither riding nor walking, not clothed and not naked, nor by any weapon lawfully made. He reveals to her that he can only be killed at dusk, wrapped in a net with one foot on a cauldron and one on a goat and with a spear forged for a year during the hours when everyone is at mass. With this information she arranges his death.

Struck by the spear thrown by Gronw's hand, Lleu transforms into an eagle and flies away.

:stare:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

vorebane posted:

That seems like a decent way to be mostly invincible. But how did he figure out how to turn into an eagle?

Oh, that's easy. He was part of Math's branch of the family, who were all wizards, and so could shapeshift, make illusions of vast wealth, make wives out of flowers then turn them into owls (A nickname for white owls is Blodau Wyn - "White Flower", and they were considered baaaaad omens as a result of Blodauwedd's treachery) when it turns out that doesn't work out so good. :P

• Locked thread