Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Silegna posted:

This poo poo practically writes itself.

This sequence of posts should really be included when this gets archived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I continue to greatly enjoy how you take the sole lines of dialogue from souls getting sucked up and make them even better.

Regarding evasion, I've personally not found it all that worthwhile. As far as I can tell, evasion doesn't seem to do much to allow you to avoid enemy skills, and those are what are truly dangerous. Their regular attacks are easily enough stifled by crippling or blinding them (geez that sounds crueler than I thought) or just debuffing their strength (thanks Ziggy).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I definitely feel the game is best played on Hard. It makes the start a bit rougher but that's not so bad aside from Gilex, and it makes the second half of the game less of a cakewalk than on normal.

I don't think I've seen anyone mentioned the Imp, who is pretty much just straight up the best character for a long time since he starts with a party hitting Sleep spell. It works on 90% of enemies and even some bosses (including Myles). And even later on when that becomes less useful his natural damage reduction is sky high (plus I think he absorbs fire or something because I notice later on a lot of enemy attacks straight up healed him) and he gets some really cool utility spells.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Silegna posted:

If I remember right, his wife said that after this he should take a break from LPs, because things always go wrong.

Well then, he either took her accurate advice or...oh no :ohdear:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Is it kosher to inform what each upgrade does?

e: Either way I'm voting Knight Magus.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 27, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DGM_2 posted:

I did arch-magus and I can tell you there are a couple of nice spells on that path. There's a full-party frost attack (complete with agility debuff and DoT) and one that lets us muscle in on Vlad's turf by draining HP and energy from a single target.

I never played with knight-magus, but I recall the description saying that you could use better swords and heavier armor.

Since I've already seen arch-magus I'll vote for knight-magus. Besides, our sorcerer doesn't seem smart enough to unlock the mystical secrets of the universe. Hitting things with other things seems more like his speed.

I meant that as in could I say generally what each does. I've played through with both upgrades and I definitely prefer the Knight Magus, although both are really good so there's no wrong choice.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mauman posted:

Well, not the only thing. AM does have one attack that I really like, but it's more of a convenience thing than anything. Nothing that a few extra turns/some crowd control or items can't bring to the table.

Imo the primary benefit of the AM is the AOEs, not because of the direct damage they do, but because they also apply different DOTs. The Sorcerer by himself can end up sticking 4+ DOTs on an enemy, which is really nice for bosses.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mauman posted:

Also, dots of the same type don't stack. So if you have a troll (bleed), imp (arcane), Dryad (frost, poison), or witch (fire, poison) you're being redundant.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. E.g. the AM sorcerer ends up getting two frost DOT-causing spells and they stack.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mauman posted:

Interesting. I know poison/arcane/bleed skills don't stack. They might be considered two separate dots. A few of the skills work wildly weird in this game (see scorch)

I'll take a look at it if I give the game another go.

If that's so then the Arch Magus is a bit better than I thought. Still nowhere near as good as the Knight though. And still frustrating as hell when your magic does near-zero damage (dot's not withstanding) while doing nothing against defense.

My memory could totally be faulty here, but yeah I'm pretty sure if it's a different named DOT then it should stack.

Not that I disagree about the KM still being better.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mauman posted:

That's exactly what it is. Use it on a mage, if the mage survives (somehow) he won't cast spells.

Not that this works on bosses as far as I remember.

I've tried and it absolutely doesn't. Either they just have way too huge energy pools or their skills cost a pittance, cause I've never seen 'em unable to use an ability.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pyroi posted:

How did I miss this for most of a year? Seriously, Chokes' LPs are the best.

On the plus side you now have a backlog to binge on.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Nightshade causes Sleep, which is very helpful for these huge brawls. As with most RPGs, Sleep shuts down the target until the next time they take direct damage. It'll eventually wear off on its own, but on the scale from "miss a few turns in Final Fantasy" to "instakill against gold box D&D monsters," it rates a solid "poison and kite in EverQuest."

It's worth noting that the Imp starts with a party-wide Sleep spell. It's also worth noting that "direct damage" means regular attacks; physical skills will not wake up a target. And Sleep works on a surprisingly large amount of enemies (even some bosses; it completely destroys Miles' gimmick). What I'm saying is Imp is basically the best party member in terms of utility, though he does fall off in the lategame since he never does anything especially big in terms of pure damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Why not use OBS to record? It's fairly lightweight, has a lot of options, and I've never run into issues with it corrupting footage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ninja update too short. The people demand more!

The betrayal went about as well as I expected. Good ole reliable Frank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

At last, my (second) favorite moment in the game and one that reminds you: "Oh yeah, this game actually has some pretty funny writing." You can definitely see the influence of the classic Wizardry games and The Bard's Tale in scenes like this. And Chokes' writing and this game's go together like PB&J so that just makes it even better.

• Locked thread