Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windmaster Manwe
Oct 30, 2012

Maybe I could show God some jammin' Latin rhythm, ja?
Hey, this game! I actually just beat it the other day with a Witch/Werewolf/Skeleton party, which is about as boring and basic as parties get, but eh. One thing that kind of annoyed me about this game was that while the game does let you summon more dudes eventually, as Chokes has said, there's one mechanic in particular that makes it pretty much a bad idea to swap people out. Which kinda sucks, because a lot of your dudes are really specialized and being able to switch your party up every once in a while would have done a lot to mitigate the slog that a lot of people have been talking about (and I agree with.)

When we get to the later levels I'll actually talk about what I mean, but this game definitely has some... interesting approaches to balance. Namely that it doesn't approach it. I did enjoy it quite a bit though, especially given that it's was pretty much done by one dude in his basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmaster Manwe
Oct 30, 2012

Yeah, The lategame can get a little sloggy, but the loot situation doesn't factor into it nearly as much as it does in the earlygame. You get enough loot in general that unless you're incredibly unlucky you won't really be in trouble, and midgame I honestly just stopped looking at my equipment for whole blocks unless I got something that looked particularly tasty.

Windmaster Manwe
Oct 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure the creator cited SMT as an inspiration, so the effectiveness of buffs/debuffs was probably intentional. And I love it.

• Locked thread