Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I've managed to beat this thing once on hard, but that involved a hilarious amount of slamming my head against a wall and lucky drops. It's an interesting enough game, and the music tends to get stuck in your head, for either good or ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I... don't think I ever made the connection between the ball of light and the dead rat before. Huh.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Zore posted:

You have six party slots, not counting the Sorcerer. Only four can be in battle at once, and the Sorcerer is required, so you essentially have a party and a backup party by the end of Block 3.

The problem is you can't really keep everyone up to date with training because its stupid expensive.

You can still use their skills out in the map even when they're not in your party though, just not in battle. I did a hard run that involved having the Cultist in the backup group as a healing battery between combats.

I'll toss my vote in for the puppet as well, mostly because I never bothered with it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shiva Asori posted:

I don't mind hard games but when later encounters can go like this: battle start, enemy 1 uses running slash, enemy 2 uses running slash, hope is lost, game over. When this happens, it kinda shows that fairness wasn't a concern to the maker.
But my biggest complaint is how buggy it still is, more then 2 years later and there's still bugs that can force restarting the game.

I think I just went through that exact same fight earlier today when I was replaying it - the only way I managed to get through it was consumables spam.

Hopefully they patched up a bug late in the game involving the various puzzles since the last time i played. THAT was annoying.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well, I'm back on the last bit of the game and have rediscovered two things.

1) If you only have one item of a particular type remaining the option to use it doesn't disappear until after the round - this means that you can have everyone spam the same thing. This made some of the more egregious group fights more palatable.

2) The last puzzle for the remaining floors remains as borked as it ever, and if you reload a save after solving it it has both reset AND used up the item required to solve it. You might want to keep that in mind as you're going forward, Chokes. If you'd like more details I can PM them to you before I forget.

I knew I should have been keeping two different saves.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The "use the vampire as a walking blood bank" is part of the reason i tend to pick the cleric and the witch as side line buddies. I really should give this another go with a more varied party.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

KataraniSword posted:

I'm still here! I'd never pass up a Chokes thread, and I'm as patient as need be. Just, y'know, not much to add to the discussion.

Same.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Minotaur . Never used it before.

Also, may I just say that I am just loving all of the legit, sound financial advice that Frank is handing out off the cuff? :allears:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well, I plowed through the game again over the last few days and I can vouch that the Minotaur/Vampire/Abomination PUNCHFACE team is exactly as effective as you'd expect. Had a few lucky drops come my way which helped out quite a bit. I also got the puppet, although I rarely if ever actually used it.

I might give it another go, either on Normal again or trying out Hard. The DoT and Defensive stuff helped out at the start of the game but towards the end most strategy went out the window and was replaced with "hit things hard". Not sure if my willingness to go back to town every few fights played a role in that or not.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Chokes McGee posted:

Minotaur/Shadow/Ghost :unsmigghh:

Team RNG all the way.

What level is the party currently sitting at by the way?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't remember if it's been mentioned, but how do you deal with out-of-fight healing? Can you use Vlad's abilities, and if so how does that interact with the energy system?

The Vampire heals based off of HP for the most part - you can use that outside of combat and then Blood Sword an enemy once you get in to another one.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm now pondering giving this game ago, explicitly using the various characters that aren't being used in it. I gave Chokes' current set up a try and it basically lead to me stomping my way through it. and now I'm looking for a challenge.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Since I'm starting up another play-through anyway with a different group of characters do you want me to give Berias a go to see if his Shade is resistant to physical debuffs? Can't guaranty how scientific a test it'll be but i can spend a few rounds thwacking away at him and see if any of them actually stick.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just stack literally everything on Sorcerer, because, what, you're actually going to value the other party members? What kind of group is this anyway?

The price gets really absurd really fast. It's typically better to spread out low level stuff among every one before deciding who's going to focus on what.

I also think that your attribute ratings (strength, magic, agility) eventually cap out. But i could be wrong.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

He's certainly getting luckier than I am with the drops. I swear my game is just taunting me - it's been nothing but warhammers and greatswords in my werewolf/skeleton/imp run for the most part. I'm also having a hard time getting Scorch to stick on anything, whether that's a boss or a common enemy, and whether i do damage with it or not.

Interestingly enough, I'm not sure either the Skeleton or the Werewolf get a +energy skill for combat, or at least I haven't noticed it so far. But the werewolf does get an AoE that it can use every round so there is that. The Imp's kinda pulling its own weight at least - almost completely useless up until "oh hey Sleep".

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Chokes McGee posted:

>=(

Alright, I'll edit that back in as the Director's Cut or something. Like I said, I swear I clicked on everything but the game gets really sneaky with some of its triggers.

e: Oh for poo poo's sake. The "Search" bubble doesn't appear until you're right up on it.

Stuff like that was why i got in the habit of just smashing my party's heads against the wall and walking against it to make sure i didn't miss anything.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Thuryl posted:

I'm pretty sure having a Goblin in your party does in fact let you bypass a couple of the "find key for door" puzzles, but, like, you can just do the puzzles instead, they're not that hard.

Those are RNG based I believe, and the Minotaur has at least one thing like that as well. Not so sure about the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Speaking of exploits...

I might have mentioned this previously but if you only have one of an item (such as, say, a Fire Bomb) you can still have each of your characters use it, since it doesn't vanish from the inventory until it's actually used. Not sure if this was finally patched out but it made some of the later enemies and bosses easier when you could just throw the same jar of Acid in their face again and again.

• Locked thread