Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I checked the first post, hoping to see something about this issue but did not, so I send out a post of hope in this almost-thousand page thread to try to get some help.

I'm on an Asus Swift X laptop, Windows 11. AMD Ryzen 7 5800U and NVidia RTX 3050Ti.

I had previously played Doom Eternal and loved it, uninstalled it. Now, maybe a year later give or take, I reinstalled it and an exciting variety of things started to happen. I wanted to note that I've had the same computer the whole time.

Initially, this all began with me trying to start it and getting the error like "cannot enumerate graphics device". I heard about disabling the primary GPU and using the AMD Radeon graphics instead (?!) just to get it to work.

I updated drives, etc. Now what happens is when I try to launch from Steam, I get a flash of a Steam bordered window and then nothing. Running the id launcher as admin gave me a dialogue box in steam that said "+com enablecrashhandler 1 +in_signaloncrash 0000000000000444 +win_spinoncrash 1". . And then, nothing.

It's so frustrating and I've spent hours trying to find resources online for anyone else who may have had this issue. So I'm reaching out to ya'll in this thread to check if anyone knows what I might be able to do. Thanks for any responses. And I'm Team Mick.

edit cacosnipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ugh, I had the same issue at one point but unfortunately I don't remember how I solved it. I only remember that it was something simple, like updating my GPU drivers or something.

EDIT: Oh right, I think I solved it by going into the BIOS and disabling the integrated GPU. Have you tried that?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 5, 2023

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
That's one of the options I haven't tried because:

1. I generally don't like screwing around with any BIOS settings, for obvious reasons.

2. Wouldn't my 3050ti be better for handling doom's requirements?

Edit I did disable the primary GPU in Windows settings though,to no avail. The thing is that it used to at least tell me that it couldn't enumerate the graphics, but now (with the same settings), it doesn't even say that. Stream just tried to load it and then drops it.

Floodixor fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 5, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Floodixor posted:

That's one of the options I haven't tried because:

1. I generally don't like screwing around with any BIOS settings, for obvious reasons.

2. Wouldn't my 3050ti be better for handling doom's requirements?

Edit I did disable the primary GPU in Windows settings though,to no avail. The thing is that it used to at least tell me that it couldn't enumerate the graphics, but now (with the same settings), it doesn't even say that. Stream just tried to load it and then drops it.

There is degrees of stupid when it comes to simple on/off testing BIOS settings. Doing that one change and testing and then reverting if it didn't work won't be much cause for concern.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

That Mighty Doom mobile game just came out, at least for my phone. It's pretty much a straight rip-off of Archero, but I liked that game quite a bit so that isn't the biggest strike against it. It does have one of those lovely energy systems, freemium currency, loot boxes, daily login rewards, etc and the interface between runs is an absolute dumpster fire because all of it is trying to grab your attention at once. There are also some p2w-looking alternate slayers available for straight up cash--they have perks like a damage bonus when your health gets low, or giving your kills a chance to recharge your secondary weapon.

That said, the actual gameplay is pretty fun for a fairly mindless, bullet hell-lite phone game. I've only done the first 2 stages, but it also seems like it took Archero's approach to all the mtx bullshit. It's there, but the progression/upgrade scheme doesn't really feel like it's pushing you to buy stuff. That does kinda make me wish they had just charged $5 for it or done ads with an IAP to remove them, but them's the breaks I guess.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's on hold right now unfortunately because I ran out of cash, but rest assured the Doomslayer cosplay will be finished. I have someone really talented in costume construction on it. Here's a teaser, it's not much but I think it looks cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

It's on hold right now unfortunately because I ran out of cash, but rest assured the Doomslayer cosplay will be finished. I have someone really talented in costume construction on it. Here's a teaser, it's not much but I think it looks cool.

translation: you're paying spoa in cans of soup

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ATiZ1JxExs

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I played Doomy Turtle for a little bit when it first came out, but got distracted by other games and never finished it. Finally giving it another go and almost beat the main campaign. Game is a huge rush. The combat is smooth and fluid and I just love the constant ballet of murder and movement. I’ve been playing Doom since the first episode was Shareware, and this might be the best FPS I’ve ever played.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still haven't beaten Ancient Gods Part 2. Part 1 was ball crushingly hard at times but I'm kinda annoyed that they went back and tweaked it to be a bit easier. Gimme that possessed Baron on a narrow ledge in Blood Swamps, you bastards.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arc Hammer posted:

I still haven't beaten Ancient Gods Part 2. Part 1 was ball crushingly hard at times but I'm kinda annoyed that they went back and tweaked it to be a bit easier. Gimme that possessed Baron on a narrow ledge in Blood Swamps, you bastards.

I’m looking forward to digging into the expansions. Do I get to still keep my fortress in the DLC? I like roaming around in it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chaosapiant posted:

I played Doomy Turtle for a little bit when it first came out, but got distracted by other games and never finished it. Finally giving it another go and almost beat the main campaign. Game is a huge rush. The combat is smooth and fluid and I just love the constant ballet of murder and movement. I’ve been playing Doom since the first episode was Shareware, and this might be the best FPS I’ve ever played.

Preach!

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Arc Hammer posted:

Most of the tweaks were reverted. There's one or two I believe in blood swamps where Hugo has said it just introduced enemies in the wrong order so it didn't flow correctly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MJBuddy posted:

Most of the tweaks were reverted. There's one or two I believe in blood swamps where Hugo has said it just introduced enemies in the wrong order so it didn't flow correctly.

Oh so is the possessed baron fight back in, then? Last time I played he'd been replaced by an imp swarm and it sucked.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I really like Doom Eternal, my only significant complaint is horde mode. I really wanted some kind of gameplay to make the game, uh, eternal, and give it replay value. Horde mode sort of does that, but the levels are static and not randomly chosen from a larger pool. The demons are the same each time too I think, just the bounties can vary. If horde mode was considerably different each time, I would have been very happy.

Node fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 17, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I’m looking forward to digging into the expansions. Do I get to still keep my fortress in the DLC? I like roaming around in it.

No fortress in the DLC unfortunately.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I should get off my rear end and replay the game and finally play the Ancient Gods DLC.

When Eternal came out I think the bit that chafed the most was the plot. Like yeah I know, “lol, plot in a Doom game”, but Doom 2016 did it right by having very little discernible plot although if you wanted to go read lore stuff you could totally do it.

Doom Eternal not only tried to shove the plot front and center and expected you to give a poo poo, but it half-assed it and had a massive disconnect between the first and second game by having a ton of poo poo happen off-screen and didn’t even bother explaining it with an exposition dump or anything.

How did the Doom Slayer escape captivity after the first game? Where did his space fortress come from? Who on earth is the Maykr and where did she come from? If we stopped the demonic incursion in the first game, how did Earth get totally hosed? How did Samuel Hayden get all hosed up? All of this stuff happens off-screen in between games I guess. That would be okay I guess if the game didn’t try to get you to give a poo poo about the plot and its “lore”. What the gently caress is Nekravol, or Exultia? Hell doesn’t need elaborate lore or backstory or geography or spelled-out mechanisms of what souls do in Hell and how Hell’s soul-economy works; it’s Hell, a lovely abstract godawful afterlife plane of existence where bad people go when they die, and it’s full of awful demons that desperately need to be shot to death.

You know that gigantic body you find underwater in the Maykr’s world? Did that end I having any payoff? Was that the Icon of Sin in stasis, just floating there? Or were you just supposed to find it, say “oh, that’s neat”, and then it never gets brought up again?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

You know that gigantic body you find underwater in the Maykr’s world? Did that end I having any payoff? Was that the Icon of Sin in stasis, just floating there? Or were you just supposed to find it, say “oh, that’s neat”, and then it never gets brought up again?

Prevailing theory (somewhat supported by the lore) is that it's a Makyr body awaiting the transplant of a new Makyr (if they'd gotten the Father, or to supply a new Khan Makyr had Hell not invaded after the Icon of Sin was released after its binding heart was destroyed)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Xenomrph posted:

I should get off my rear end and replay the game and finally play the Ancient Gods DLC.

When Eternal came out I think the bit that chafed the most was the plot. Like yeah I know, “lol, plot in a Doom game”, but Doom 2016 did it right by having very little discernible plot although if you wanted to go read lore stuff you could totally do it.

Doom Eternal not only tried to shove the plot front and center and expected you to give a poo poo, but it half-assed it and had a massive disconnect between the first and second game by having a ton of poo poo happen off-screen and didn’t even bother explaining it with an exposition dump or anything.

How did the Doom Slayer escape captivity after the first game? Where did his space fortress come from? Who on earth is the Maykr and where did she come from? If we stopped the demonic incursion in the first game, how did Earth get totally hosed? How did Samuel Hayden get all hosed up? All of this stuff happens off-screen in between games I guess. That would be okay I guess if the game didn’t try to get you to give a poo poo about the plot and its “lore”. What the gently caress is Nekravol, or Exultia? Hell doesn’t need elaborate lore or backstory or geography or spelled-out mechanisms of what souls do in Hell and how Hell’s soul-economy works; it’s Hell, a lovely abstract godawful afterlife plane of existence where bad people go when they die, and it’s full of awful demons that desperately need to be shot to death.

How did the Doom Slayer escape captivity after the first game?
- not really mentioned, unfortunately. I'm guessing something to do with VEGA's backup being stored in the Praetor suit in DOOM 2016 -> magically getting him to a convenient Fortress of Doom.

Where did his space fortress come from?
- A vague mention of the Night Sentinels's empire, and their visit to Mars/Earth in their history; and how they built outposts like the Fortress of Doom to keep an eye on things. How did the Slayer get a hold of one and make it his home. ummmm....maybe VEGA did some magic? Maybe there was one around Mars that Sammy had as a backup before it all went to poo poo?

Who on earth is the Maykr and where did she come from?
- Khan Bitch is super-consciousness of all Maykrs, which were created by the Father to help out with creation stuff (DLC spoiler - actually by the Dark Lord)

If we stopped the demonic incursion in the first game, how did Earth get totally hosed?
- Mars demonic incursion was masterminded by a Hell Priest (who we don't see in DOOM 2016), using Olivia Pierce (poor girl). Hell survived - Earth's demonic incursion is basically part 2, with more Hell Priests involved.
- (DLC spoiler - the Slayer's entire thought progress is basically "gently caress this small thinking, I will literally kill God, Satan, and blow up everything to stop Demons forever")

How did Samuel Hayden get all hosed up?
- Sammy came back to Earth after stealing the Slayer's crucible in 2016, and was all like "Heeey ignore what happened on Mars, I got the touch, I got the Argent Power!". Then it all went to poo poo when Hell invaded Earth, and Sammy was like "Heeey actually I saved the day on Mars, I can do it here, I got the touch". He got hosed up in a (off-screen) counter-attack which failed, and lost his power.

What the gently caress is Nekravol, or Exultia? Hell doesn’t need elaborate lore or backstory or geography or spelled-out mechanisms of what souls do in Hell and how Hell’s soul-economy works; it’s Hell, a lovely abstract godawful afterlife plane of existence where bad people go when they die, and it’s full of awful demons that desperately need to be shot to death.
- Nekravol gives Argent Energy to Urdak, the whole deal between Hell/Urdak is kinda why we're killing her.
- Exultia is just a Sentinel town, which has a portal to Hell where we go see Velen get our Hell Priest detector + titan heart stabber (you can see Nekravol from here!)

You know that gigantic body you find underwater in the Maykr’s world? Did that end I having any payoff?
- Not confirmed, but this is the next Khan Makyr's body. Khan Makyrs die every 10000 years, and a new one is chosen from all of the Makyrs. But since the Father disappeared, this process isn't possible, so Khan Bitch Makyr is now in charge.....forever (so long as she gets Argent Energy, which means a deal with Hell, which means Earth gets hosed)

Was that the Icon of Sin in stasis, just floating there?
- Nope, the Icon of Sin is a Titan with a Night Sentinel warrior's heart (Velen's son)

Or were you just supposed to find it, say “oh, that’s neat”, and then it never gets brought up again?
- NO READ CODEX, JUST RIP AND TEAR

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 17, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really liked reading the codex for Eternal. I like digging into dumb world building like that and Eternal's is pretty well thought out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I loving love the goofy over the top plot poo poo in Doom Eternal. I like seeing back story and neato poo poo that sort of gives some depth to the original games. But I'm a nerd. Finished Eternal today...what a ride! Game is just the right length, every level is just a huge art showcase, and the performance of the game is pure black magic. I can run the game at 1440p ultra nightmare setting and average 180-200 fps. It's insane. Going back to older levels now and finding secrets and tomorrow I'll start the DLC.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the doom eternal plot is what a 14 year old would imagine in their heads while staring at a death metal album cover and it could not fit more perfectly with the whole game's vibe

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ll be honest….I watched all the cutscenes and read a decent number of codex entries and still have no idea what the actual story is. I get the gist but that’s about it. Also not sure if it’s ever explained what happened between Doom and Eternal that the Slayer is out of stasis and has a cool rear end base. Is that on the codex somewhere?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The fortress stuff is one of the only bits of Eternal's lore that I think really lands.

For about 90% of its run time and outside of a couple of moments, Doom 2016 is happy for your only approach to the narrative to be "oh gently caress YEAH!", and the leap from how 2016 ends to the Slayer riding through space in a castle is dumb enough to fit in with that perfectly.

It's the bit of Eternal that's intentionally stupid & cool enough to require no further thought or questions, before the rest of the game takes a.. well, different approach.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bumhead posted:

The fortress stuff is one of the only bits of Eternal's lore that I think really lands.

For about 90% of its run time and outside of a couple of moments, Doom 2016 is happy for your only approach to the narrative to be "oh gently caress YEAH!", and the leap from how 2016 ends to the Slayer riding through space in a castle is dumb enough to fit in with that perfectly.

It's the bit of Eternal that's intentionally stupid & cool enough to require no further thought or questions, before the rest of the game takes a.. well, different approach.

Well that’s the issue I have with it. I’m fine with poo poo being vague. But the game is extremely wordy, I counted no less than 14 or 15 codex entries on just The Sentinels. Yet didn’t see a single one about what happened between games.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Doom Guy got super mad, broke his cage and found a sky castle. Hell probably put demons between him and it.

Eternal did what it did, thankfully they hit the right spots more often than they didn't. Even some of the dumb bits work brilliantly memetically. The longer the Icon of Sin is on earth, the stronger it becomes!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Doomykins posted:

Doom Guy got super mad, broke his cage and found a sky castle. Hell probably put demons between him and it.

Yep, and this is a perfect assumption that completely fits the games and requires no additional context. I love the confidence in being able to open Eternal the way that they do and tell you gently caress all about it. It's fantastic.

It's the rest of Eternal that creates the juxtaposition in terms of how the narrative is approached, but that's obviously something that's been covered to death.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

I think everyone in Doom Universe goes to hell no matter what

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

the doom eternal plot is what a 14 year old would imagine in their heads while staring at a death metal album cover and it could not fit more perfectly with the whole game's vibe

It's rad as gently caress, yes.

Not telling you everything is in many ways just like how they don't tell you anything in Doom 2016. They're both equally rad for different reasons.

You know who is NOT rad? The Dark Lord. I don't like that fight and cannot do that fight. I have no problem with double Marauders. Marauders are easy as long as you have some kind of splash damage. There is someone about with huge guts, that's all you need to know.

Did they ever retune that fight?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Dark Lord should've been a Quake Arena fight against a Doomguy-sized enemy fine-tuned off the enemy AI who you'd have to keep on top of or risk him glory killing a fodder enemy and getting all his health back

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I will say that the refinement of Eternal did strip out some of the fun fluff bits from 2016. The lore and upgrade menus in Eternal are perfectly functional but they have zero style compared to the funky monster database in 2016 and the Slayer upgrade screen just being DoomGuy smoldering while he waits for you to pick your suit upgrades.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's rad as gently caress, yes.

Not telling you everything is in many ways just like how they don't tell you anything in Doom 2016. They're both equally rad for different reasons.

You know who is NOT rad? The Dark Lord. I don't like that fight and cannot do that fight. I have no problem with double Marauders. Marauders are easy as long as you have some kind of splash damage. There is someone about with huge guts, that's all you need to know.

Did they ever retune that fight?

Why is the Dark Lord just a guy? I guess he's got red eyes, but I was really hoping for some eldritch abomination.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He took the form of the most dangerous being in existence.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

The Dark Lord should've been a Quake Arena fight against a Doomguy-sized enemy fine-tuned off the enemy AI who you'd have to keep on top of or risk him glory killing a fodder enemy and getting all his health back

fuckin this

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The slayer gate in the first mission of the DLC drat sure turned up the heat on me.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Arc Hammer posted:

He took the form of the most dangerous being in existence.

I mean.....technically....actually...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Why is the Dark Lord just a guy? I guess he's got red eyes, but I was really hoping for some eldritch abomination.

Yeah same. I get it, canonically, I guess. But I wasn't excited by it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my disappointment with the dark lord was entirely mechanical, in that the conclusion to a high intensity weapon swapping FPS game should not involve me precision shooting the most basic enemy in the game in the knee for glory kills to fill up a meter

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What pissed me off about the final DLC level is that you can't pick up and use that energy rifle that the hell guards shoot you with. give me another gun!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/1660575027576668162

:thunk:

I'm sure he's just playing it, but now I'm trying to imagine what a Blomkamp Doom movie would be like