Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

The funny thing about people praising Wolfenstein: The New Order and Bulletstorm compared to Doom 4 is that the latter two were actually heavily story-driven games with a shitload of dialogue and cutscenes, they were just done well enough that people didn't mind.

Agreed. You can do your own thing and make it appealing. Bulletstorm succeeded in having Trishka, Grayson, and Sarrano's voice actors sounding like they were having a ton of fun insulting one another and hamming up their roles. Wolfenstein had characters who could be sympathetic and endearing, while doing word-building of a lovely new world. The inclusion of a story doesn't mean it needs to be this perfected narrative. It could be, yeah, but it could also just be a chance to cool down and hear Steve Blum and Jennifer Hale scream at each other for a minute or two.

I didn't hate the idea of Doom 3. Hell, for most people in the '90s, the first run of Doom 1 or 2 played out more like survival horror since you didn't know the level layouts as well, and were hurting for ammo/meds since you didn't know all the secrets yet. It was just really repetitive and predictable after a while when I was ready for an imp behind every door, and for every pickup to spawn an enemy. I like where they're going for Xbox Doom One. Hopefully the aliens are a bit more easily-differentiated this time around, though. If they plan to have a mixture of them, I really don't want that Doom 3 issue of every enemy being some tan-colored copy of another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Plan Z posted:

Hopefully the aliens are a bit more easily-differentiated this time around, though. If they plan to have a mixture of them, I really don't want that Doom 3 issue of every enemy being some tan-colored copy of another.

From everything we've seen so far, this is the case. There's a lot of distinct designs among the various demons.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Black Baby Goku posted:

Well, I've been calling this game Retard 4

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I think while the game is being designed around being playable on a controller it has no hope of being a good doom game. I play other fpses designed for consoles like bulletstorm or borderlands but they have interesting extras, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
But guys, E1M1 is, like, THE DOOM level. Doi.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Overall I predict the metacritic of Retard 4 to be around 60

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

Overall I predict the metacritic of Retard 4 to be around 60

Come now, Bethesda's marketing budget is bigger than that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Prav posted:

They probably should've came up with a better name than Retard 4.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prav posted:

They aren't really pushing Retard 4 to be honest. After the horrible reaction to each video I think they are just throwing Retard 4 to the wolves

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

elf help book posted:

They probably should've came up with a better name than Retard 4.

If nothing else I appreciate the honesty.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

It just better not be like 6 hours long like bulletstorm and rage were.

A 6-hour runtime would make it longer than Doom 1 was, though.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Black Baby Goku posted:

They aren't really pushing Retard 4 to be honest. After the horrible reaction to each video I think they are just throwing Retard 4 to the wolves

Lol The games going to sell millions and Bethesda does not give the slightest gently caress what a bunch of shut in hyper-nerds on a dead forum thinks about them or their products

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Doom...... Is good

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Lol The games going to sell millions and Bethesda does not give the slightest gently caress what a bunch of shut in hyper-nerds on a dead forum thinks about them or their products

You are delusional lol

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Black Baby Goku posted:

You are delusional lol

Doom...... Is good

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
As long as it has the "open the door, face hundreds of imps, shoot them all with shotgun" feeling of 1 and 2, and not lovely horror of 3, that's fine game by me.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Black Baby Goku posted:

You are delusional lol

no you

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doom 1 and 2 are good games. This game (Retard 4) however looks like modern shooter garbage. Slow, QTES, pay to win multiplayer lol, piss filters, it's bad bad bad.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Bombadil posted:

As long as it has the "open the door, face hundreds of imps, shoot them all with shotgun" feeling of 1 and 2, and not lovely horror of 3, that's fine game by me.

It doesn't have that

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good one

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Black Baby Goku posted:

Doom 1 and 2 are good games. This game (Retard 4) however looks like modern shooter garbage. Slow, QTES, pay to win multiplayer lol, piss filters, it's bad bad bad.

Doom...... Is good

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Black Baby Goku posted:

yeah none of that matters. it's a doom game released by bethesda, all they have to do is show up to the party and there will be people lining up around the block for it. sorry about your tenuous grasp on reality

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah none of that matters. it's a doom game released by bethesda, all they have to do is show up to the party and there will be people lining up around the block for it. sorry about your tenuous grasp on reality

Show me the people hyped for the Retard franchise still please? This thread barely has 100 posts and the game comes out next month lmfao. The majority of people talking about how bad Retard 4 looks and how they ruined Retard. But whatever, have fun with a player base smaller than Evolve lmfao.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Well it doesn't have any of my interest (someone who doesn't give a poo poo about Doom) and it's alienated people who actually for some reason do give a poo poo about Doom by not being Doom-y enough. So who precisely is the demographic here? Looks like yet another modern remake of a lovely nostalgia series that doesn't pay attention to why people like the original game. I predict middling sales.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
tbh from the trailers and gameplay, although slow it does look kinda fun. But I'll probably still wait til in the future when the game is like $5 cause I don't trust bethesda to make a good game. Whens the last time they made a good game, morrowind?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Black Baby Goku posted:

Show me the people hyped for the Retard franchise still please? This thread barely has 100 posts and the game comes out next month lmfao. The majority of people talking about how bad Retard 4 looks and how they ruined Retard. But whatever, have fun with a player base smaller than Evolve lmfao.

Doom...... Is good

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Doom 3 wasn't anything to write home about gameplay wise, but the campaign was fun enough to play through as a graphical showcase. It had extremely impressive lighting for 2004. That said, Half Life 2 wound up being the real show stealer that year and Valve put Carmack to shame with the Source engine. What it lacked in advanced shading the Source engine more than made up for with its far more advanced facial rendering and realistic textures.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

EAB posted:

tbh from the trailers and gameplay, although slow it does look kinda fun. But I'll probably still wait til in the future when the game is like $5 cause I don't trust bethesda to make a good game. Whens the last time they made a good game, morrowind?

Bethesda isn't making it, they're just publishing.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

YOURFRIEND posted:

Well it doesn't have any of my interest (someone who doesn't give a poo poo about Doom) and it's alienated people who actually for some reason do give a poo poo about Doom by not being Doom-y enough. So who precisely is the demographic here? Looks like yet another modern remake of a lovely nostalgia series that doesn't pay attention to why people like the original game. I predict middling sales.

kids durr

my teenage girls and all their friends are super hyped for it. I don't think any of them have ever played a doom game before

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

you should have them play good games, like Doom, instead of bad games, like this

but you're probably right that the demographic for this game is people that haven't played Doom

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Doom...... Is good

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

YOURFRIEND posted:

and it's alienated people who actually for some reason do give a poo poo about Doom by not being Doom-y enough.

Where are you getting this from? Most of the guys at Doomworld seem to love it, apart from the very few spergs who want a 1:1 remake of Doom 1.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Prav posted:

you should have them play good games, like Doom, instead of bad games, like this

but you're probably right that the demographic for this game is people that haven't played Doom

I've thought about it actually, but I'm worried they'd think it's dumb old gay stuff for dumb old gay men, and I don't know if I could look them in the eye after that.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lmfao

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

doom....... is good

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Design inspired by Frankenberry.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to pirate Retard 4 and then play 10 minutes to confirm its bad, then uninstall it

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm going to pirate Retard 4 and then play 10 minutes to confirm its bad, then uninstall it

You wont be able to play online then so be sure to install Quake Arena along side it and use a controller.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

You wont be able to play online then so be sure to install Quake Arena along side it and use a controller.

Quake 3 on dreamcast was fun. Retard 4 will not be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Black Baby Goku posted:

That is a good plan.