Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah agreed with the above, it seems like Mick has kept it close to his chest because he doesn't have the power in this situation and Marty did what he did because he did. This isn't final, definitive proof but if you ask me whether or not I think a corporation has somebody in a position of power with an abusive ego...

The same reason in DLC2 that you have to journey to a single point on Earth to take a portal to Final Hell City but then your generic allies magically teleport in behind you, ruining a classic Doom Guy moment, so that we could get yet another Avengers Endgame reference. :v:

no really the loving point, the god drat meaning of the knowing laugh the player feeds themselves when all your enemies line up and are like WHAT'RE YOU GONNA DO, FIGHT AN ARMY BY YOURSELF, is that we chuckle and think "Yeah sounds like a good final level" and then actually do it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look TAG2 should have had one moment where you drive a Sentinel Mech on a battle with a giant demon and ram a crucble spear into its heart.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm embarrassed to admit I still haven't finished TAG. I got hung up on the floating-eyeball-in-a-cube boss fight a LONG time ago and then just never felt like finishing it. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The final boss of Blood Swamps is a ball buster and is the weakest part in otherwise my favourite level in the entire game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just learn to quick switch ballista/heavy cannon snipes, they're my go to for any target with a big ole eyeball that isn't cacos for some reason.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I liked Eternal, and have all sorts of opinions on it, but I'll just say that I've been having way more fun replaying Doom 1/2 (and eventually TNT/Plutonia) with the D4T mod on Hard/Max Monsters than I did with Eternal.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Reminiscing and lolling about some old posts from when Marty posted on reddit

unless you think the corporate representative was lying about a situation to make their side look better,

The reddit comments beneath Marty’s open letter are filled with the most gullible dolts on the planet fawning over id and saddling Mick with all of the blame.

I’m not really surprised that your average gamer doesn’t understand that corporations will lie when it comes to labor and contract disputes but none of them really take any time to consider the situation: this is one man, a freelancer, being blamed by a lead executive at a company. I’m not saying I would have known it was a farce from the beginning but I feel like anyone with some critical thinking skills could have seen the open letter (posted directly to Reddit of all places) was manipulative or, at a minimum, not the whole story.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Just learn to quick switch ballista/heavy cannon snipes, they're my go to for any target with a big ole eyeball that isn't cacos for some reason.

yeah, the game kinda assumes in the DLCs that you know what quick switching is and are actively using it. maybe a poor assumption considering it's in a single tutorial popup like 1/3rd of the way through the base game and not really needed otherwise, but everything from cyber-mancubi to marauders to bosses is about a billion times easier if you're actively quickswitching

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think pretty much as you escalate the difficulty, the game assumes you learn those skills. Hell, a loading screen now shows off quickswitching as an important way to put out more damage much quicker, even showing off variants for popping weak points and mixing weapon types with different speeds.

Especially with Ancient Gods Part 1, which straight up feels like they wanted to make a modern Plutonia. You probably can coast on by on easier difficulties but on the highest diffs don't be surprised if you're greeted with repeated rear end-kickings until you learn.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I think it comes down to Doom 2016 rewards you for quick switching, while Doom Eternal punishes you for not quick switching.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

I think it comes down to Doom 2016 rewards you for quick switching, while Doom Eternal punishes you for not quick switching.

It really all boils down to this

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think the reason I bounced off of Doom Eternal is that it has a very specific playstyle that it wants you to adopt, and goes out of its way to punish you if you don't adhere to that. 2016 on the other hand gave you a lot more freedom in how you wanted to approach encounters, and for the most part let you take them at your own pace.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder how Eternal feels if you gave the weapons the same ammo counts they had in 2016 so you're not reliant on Always Be Chainsawin'

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wooooww Mick Gordon got screwed over big time the poor guy I should’ve never judged him harshly he deserves better

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Wooooww Mick Gordon got screwed over big time the poor guy I should’ve never judged him harshly he deserves better

:hai:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm real bummed out, man. It just doesn't make sense to me, this complete collapse of their working relationship. We've heard no issues at all about Gordon scoring Doom 2016, the OST release went swimmingly, they even went and had him perform the music at the VGAs that year, and this was with Stratton as director for 2016. Afterwards, it apparently ends up being a complete shitshow when Hugo takes over as director for Eternal and Stratton is now Executive Producer, but for this game, Gordon's beef lies solely with Stratton?

This sucks, man :(

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lmao imagine taking the word of a soulless corporation over an independent contractor who carried an entire game on his back

2x lmao at the soulless corporation looking at the success of their 2016 game and thinking they should treat him like poo poo

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm real bummed out, man. It just doesn't make sense to me, this complete collapse of their working relationship. We've heard no issues at all about Gordon scoring Doom 2016, the OST release went swimmingly, they even went and had him perform the music at the VGAs that year, and this was with Stratton as director for 2016. Afterwards, it apparently ends up being a complete shitshow when Hugo takes over as director for Eternal and Stratton is now Executive Producer, but for this game, Gordon's beef lies solely with Stratton?

This sucks, man :(

Did you read Mick's response? He goes over what the problems were in detail (Incredibly mismanaged, barely had any material to work with, did not have an actual contract to make the OST release until well after the announcement).

And this was years after the fact, after going through official channels to try to resolve all of this. It is kind of clear that this is basically his last resort and he did not take this lightly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have, it's why I brought up Doom 2016: he had nothing to say about any issues with that game's development, scoring, and mastering the OST despite working with the same team, just with the two lead personalities changing positions for the sequel. He even points out that he handled the OST for 2016 without iD doing anything, but the opposite for Eternal. What the hell happened?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm real bummed out, man.

This is where I land too.

Mick seems like a great guy. I've always considered id to be an amazing studio. Doom 2016 and Eternal are two brilliant games (2016 is GOAT territory, I really do consider it a modern classic) and the soundtrack loving SLAPS hard.

I mean, welcome to the games industry I guess, but this is one of those things that just sucks.

On the games themselves, I've gone back and forth on which I like more since Eternal came out, but I'm playing through both at the moment on Steam Deck and I'm 100% now on preferring 2016. I think Eternal feels like the zen perfection of what they were aiming for in terms of fast paced FPS mechanics.. but I just think 2016 feels so much more cohesive, with a much more focused sense of place, better pacing, the combat feels less like it's forcing you to engage with it in a certain way. Just a great game.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 10, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Doom 2016 was 12 years after Doom 3, which itself earned a very divisive status in the fanbase and is still considered the odd one out or even "the bad one" depending on the fan discussing possibly the most legendary single series in gaming short of Mario. Doom Eternal was after the absolutely perfect retaking of the throne 2016 achieved so yeah, I can see a lot more humility and grounded management at stake in 2016 vs Eternal. They didn't know 2016 would make them kings until it released.

Going into Eternal they can pick up any number of dangerous "success is guaranteed" attitudes. Eternal is great, of course, but there are so many stories of corporations birthing unholy egos. 4 years for management to get really god drat dumb and complacent and seeing what we've seen of Eternal where even a casual playthrough will tell you that at the very minimum the writing and level layout had a gigantic shuffle mid production, I see where it's possible.

The real mystery of course is why? It was mostly before covid so that's not at play and it seems a bit too much to just say "Marty Bad." He seems to be more a symptom, so what is going wrong with Bethesda? When poo poo gets rotten the lawyers back up Marty and defend his right to keep up his reddit ego tribute. It may be a stretch but Bethesda are the same publishers who raked Obsidian over the coals for pennies over New Vegas, the greatest pillar of the Fallout IP. Video game corps being jackasses is sadly not that unusual.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 10, 2022

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

The Clap posted:

The reddit comments beneath Marty’s open letter are filled with the most gullible dolts on the planet fawning over id and saddling Mick with all of the blame.

I’m not really surprised that your average gamer doesn’t understand that corporations will lie when it comes to labor and contract disputes but none of them really take any time to consider the situation: this is one man, a freelancer, being blamed by a lead executive at a company. I’m not saying I would have known it was a farce from the beginning but I feel like anyone with some critical thinking skills could have seen the open letter (posted directly to Reddit of all places) was manipulative or, at a minimum, not the whole story.

I automatically assume management to be nothing but sociopathic snakes, that’s the default. I never read the letter Mr. Marty originally wrote, don’t play doom. I do listen to the sound track all the time though. As a gamer and (lovely) music composer I will never pay cent on an id or Bethesda game ever again. Well, until elder scrolls 6 comes out. So yeah won’t pay em another cent.

Soggy Muffin fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 10, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I know capitalism and all that is the answer. But what gets me is how integral the dynamic music system is to DooM 2016 and how much of its identity the music became. But then they came up with that time table for music for Eternal that just seems so dumb and doomed from the start.

I came away from it back then feeling bummed things didn't work out and now it's just sad.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 10, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remember that Id and Bethesda also did not want any guitars in the Doom 2016 soundtrack. I doubt anything would be as psychotic as working on Eternal's music but I don't doubt for a second that there were also headaches and bone headed executive decisions tampering with 2016.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Games journalism.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They gotta be careful. Without those quotation marks they might get blacklisted from any curated preview events and free copies.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Jack Trades posted:

Games "journalism".

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

can't imagine why people would want to be careful about taking one sides version of events at face value just weeks after a lot of people made fools of themselves by taking hellena taylors version of events at face value

i wouldn't be surprised at all if mick is telling the truth, but that's not the same as it being proven to the degree that a journalist could treat it as fact

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's not about being careful about telling the truth, it's about defending themselves against litigation from Bethesda/Id. They aren't scare quotes, they're meant to indicate that they're quoting Mick's words.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mick has receipts for days and taylor's downfall was having no receipts at all so no respect for people who trot out that excuse tbh

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wtf is wrong with covering ones rear end with such a simple thing as quotes?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Wtf is wrong with covering ones rear end with such a simple thing as quotes?

Especially when writing about a story that we’re only now hearing the other side of after extensive back and forth between lawyers.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You know a key part of Taylor loving up was after Jason Schreier confirmed she was on some bullshit after her initial post, she then responded with...fuckall and claims that Big Corpo Is Covering Things Up, right?

As if maybe we should at least wait to see if iD/Bethesda have their own receipts or something

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

You know a key part of Taylor loving up was after Jason Schreier confirmed she was on some bullshit after her initial post, she then responded with...fuckall and claims that Big Corpo Is Covering Things Up, right?

As if maybe we should at least wait to see if iD/Bethesda have their own receipts or something

If id/Bethesda had anything, anything at all besides the hot air of an exec who was doing his best to cover his rear end in 2020 and is now most likely sweating, do you think they wouldn't have used it... back in 2020 when they tried throwing Mick under the bus?

"Receipts" doesn't begin to cover it. That piece of poo poo Marty already spelled out in the reddit post that they started selling the OST with Mick's name on it without ever writing a contract. They were selling something they didn't have but knew they could squeeze out of Mick once they threw his name to the press and started taking preorders. People still lapped it up.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah but it's also been three years since that post, along with neither party at the time showing receipts. Considering this reveal by Gordon on an equal level with the open letter due to some who shot first thinking is pedantry I'm not even going to humor. I'll wait for a response, and if they don't then that's iD's answer. But I daresay they might have something to show too, if people keep playing up Zenimax's reputation as lawyer-heavy.

Log off Marty.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, go gently caress yourself

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tortolia posted:

Especially when writing about a story that we’re only now hearing the other side of after extensive back and forth between lawyers.

It would have been easy to rephrase as "Responds to allegations" and by committing the word 'false' omit the need for scare quotes. idk I dont think its malicious but it is sloppy.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

toasterwarrior posted:

The time to present receipts would have been when the guy speaking on behalf of the $7.5 billion corporation posted a tell-all directly to reddit under the guise of "speaking directly to the community". There's really no ambiguity about the fact that it was a smear campaign designed to deflect blame to Gordon - it was posted to reddit a few days after Marty planned, and then backed out of, a joint statement with Gordon.

It's a labor dispute between a single contractor and a billion dollar corporation (now owned by Microsoft) that has been using high priced corporate lawyers to intimidate and threaten the contractor. The stakes are pretty clear, not sure why we need to wait and see if id has any of their own "receipts".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'd be very interested to see id/bethesda/microsoft's response but i am definitely not giving them the benefit of the doubt when there's this much extensive documentation of the problems mick describes, and i think anyone who does may not be properly considering what the actual situation is here

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Man that sucks, I hate how some of the more seemingly "cool" people end up being complete rear end in a top hat chuds :smith: I just hope that's not the case for everyone because I really like Hugo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Man that sucks, I hate how some of the more seemingly "cool" people end up being complete rear end in a top hat chuds :smith: I just hope that's not the case for everyone because I really like Hugo...

Given Mick's timeline of events and communications it does beg the question of how much Hugo and other management were aware of with regards to the developing issues with the soundtrack and then OST.