Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zzulu posted:

I don't really understand anything Hayden has done. If he is the traitor seraphim, then it implies he had an issue with the other angels getting hooked on hell energy so he buffed the slayer, stole father and split. Yet when he gets to earth the first thing he does is... start mining hell energy? (???)

I don't think it's too inexplicable. His implicit goal is the destruction of the Khan Makyr and the fall of Urdak, seeing his people as having become decadent and corrupt. The most efficient way to do that is to siphon the argent energy they depend on away from them, which also gives him the ability to develop the kind of weapons needed to fight against the demons. Much like with the Doomguy, he wants to impart the power of destroy both Heaven and Hell to the ordinary person. His plan falls apart because he underestimates how badly the UAC has been compromised by the Deag priesthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's a shame that Prey (2006) is basically forgotten at this point. It had a fascinatingly weird aesthetic that's close to being unmatched in sci-fi video games, and it was, at the time, one of the only video games featuring Native Americans and their mythology that actually bothered to bring on Cherokee advisors to ensure that what they had was accurate. I don't think I'd like a sequel, necessarily, but it absolutely should be on Steam or GOG or something.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Perhaps as someone mentioned before, this was supposed to be an earlier level and they didn't bother adding humor to the later levels.

The fact that you randomly take a Plasma Rifle from the guard - a weapon that you've had for several levels, by that point - all but confirms for me that it was intended to be a much earlier level at some stage of development.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

koren posted:

Did I play a different game to everybody else? You just jump over their head when they charge at you and shoot them in the bum once with the ssg. A non-entity of an enemy.

You can also use the meat hook to do a Tarzan swing around them, or freeze them and shoot them, or just pick up the shield upgrade for the Chaingun and shoot them until they're dead. There's a lot of good ways to deal with them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

yeah, while mercifully it's been limited to the multiplayer mode the level ups and milestones and free to play mechanics have the fingerprints of bethesda "we made fallout 76" all over it

The "Weekly Challenges" thing seems so bizarrely out of place in this game. How they could've conceived of Eternal ever becoming some "live service"-esque deal that keeps people coming back month after month is beyond me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The weekly challenges actually remind me a lot of the challenges in Quake Champions, and tbh that part may well have come from id for all we know

It might just be my age showing. When it comes to relatively linear games without a large amount of playstyle/build variety like Eternal, I typically enjoy them once or twice through, perhaps with an increase in difficulty, while otherwise letting 'em rest between playthroughs. The idea of going back to replay sections every week in a singleplayer game for unlocks is far outside my reference space.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's likely only of niche interest, but this game is comically busted for speedrunning purposes. (Full game, so don't watch if you haven't played.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not really sure how to deal with them though; I get to blow off the arms but they keep showing up at maximum range so it's snipe with a rocket or get in close, but usually everything else is dead by then.on?

Either use the Precision Bolt mod for the rifle to strip their cannons or just hit them with rockets. It took 4 direct rocket hits to kill one on HMP.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

The snake demons' weaknesses are their hook weapon things right? I've killed them all so fast I haven't actually seen what I'm doing to them lol

Anything that restricts their movement or homes is their weakness. The Ice Bomb, SSG Meathook, and Lock-On Burst all gently caress them up fast.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tommy 2.0 posted:

OK, I've gone all the way back to page 758. WTF is the deal with the giant creature in the water on Urdak? After getting a look at Khan Maykr without her helmet/dress it made me wonder if that was The Father. Thoughts?

I think it's supposed to be the previous Khan Maykr. The Father is VEGA, who was stolen by Samuel Hayden - aka Samir - when he fled Urdak.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sounded like a loving terrible idea tbh

The big problem with invasions as a mechanic is that the absolute volume of invasions someone's going to encounter is only rarely going to be high enough to meaningfully create a "fair" matchmaking metric. The probability of you being matched against an invader of roughly your own skill level is pretty goddamn low, meaning that it mostly ends up being a tedious chore instead of the kind of epic duel or cat-and-mouse situation most people envision. I'm not surprised they cut it, especially for a game with as much skill expression as Doom Eternal.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Marauders are fine. The Dark Lord is horseshit. Still haven't beaten him, I've had to walk away from this game for now.

having the optimal strat for the final boss of the game that prioritized speed and aggression above all other things be "gently tap zombies in the knees with your gun so you can glory kill them and charge the hammer faster" is such an egregiously dumb blunder that i gotta wonder what kind of timetable they were working under

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Just learn to quick switch ballista/heavy cannon snipes, they're my go to for any target with a big ole eyeball that isn't cacos for some reason.

yeah, the game kinda assumes in the DLCs that you know what quick switching is and are actively using it. maybe a poor assumption considering it's in a single tutorial popup like 1/3rd of the way through the base game and not really needed otherwise, but everything from cyber-mancubi to marauders to bosses is about a billion times easier if you're actively quickswitching

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the doom eternal plot is what a 14 year old would imagine in their heads while staring at a death metal album cover and it could not fit more perfectly with the whole game's vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my disappointment with the dark lord was entirely mechanical, in that the conclusion to a high intensity weapon swapping FPS game should not involve me precision shooting the most basic enemy in the game in the knee for glory kills to fill up a meter