Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does there exist a re-mixed OST to Eternal? I can find some fan-made ones on YouTube but I'm curious if Mick ever released his own mixes after the big controversy. I literally deleted the official OST off of my computer, some tracks were way too slammed.

In a tangentially-related question, is there a cosplay subforum or thread in DIY somewhere? I have big plans for Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It's a fallen makyr named Saytyn

Lucyfyr

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Bayl

EDIT for new page content: Big things have small beginnings.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 8, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
We're making progress.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I just wanna know how the Slayer got his sweet whip, the Fortress of Doom.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Well gently caress me straferunning. I definitely don't need this but I've kinda gone hard on the DOOM merch. Slayer cosplay is coming along nicely, just picked up some clear Worbla for the visor today, but I need a fix.

I should probably finally beat the Icon of Sin, eh?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Slayer cosplay update: I got some new kicks.

They're an old pair of DCs inside, I'm standing in them while the E6000 adhesive sets to the soles, then we're filling them up with spray foam (hence the plastic bags).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Jack Trades posted:

Usurper. A false idol.

Yeah. I'm sure Hulshult is a great composer and he's clearly got the guitar chops, but DOOM will always be Mick Gordon's sound to me. You can throw all the extended-range guitars and drop-tuning in the world at it and it's just not DOOM without that perfect synthesis of guitar djent riffs and equally-punishing neuro industrial sound textures. This just sounds like some metal band did an album inspired by the game.

I even quite like a lot of the Eternal soundtrack that's been dumped on. I thought the ambient/non-battle music perfectly fit the environments like Urdak and Hell, especially those gang vocals. And nothing compares to BFG Division, but The Only Thing They Fear Is You comes drat close, especially that part at about 2:48 in where the guitar track takes a quick walk down a fifth while the synth melody plays - every single time, the hair on my arms stands up.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I do have tiny little hands, but this thing is tremendous.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

tuo posted:

I googled like crazy once I saw that. Am I right that it's 3d printed? Or is someone actually selling that?

I'm pretty sure it's just made in a big plastic cast, like an oversized Warhammer model. I don't think it's solid inside, but it's also not completely hollow - there's some weight to it. InspireProps sells them on Etsy, with the option for them to paint it as well (they also once had a full Slayer cosplay for like $4k). Lol gently caress that, that's 90% of the fun, and finally a part of the cosplay process in which I can actually participate.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Hasturtium posted:

It's been nearly a year... After the dustup between Mick Gordon and id, I suspect some kind of legal hilarity ensued and everyone has been sworn to secrecy. Whether that's ongoing or was quietly settled is anybody's guess, but the fact that the soundtrack is unavailable for streaming outside of YouTube this long after release is very conspicuous.

If we ever get an official soundtrack release that isn't smashed to oblivion by compression, I'll eat quad damage.

It's not happening.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Arcsquad12 posted:

The current timeline that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things is:

Where does the hit 2005 movie with Karl Urban and Dwayne Johnson fit into all of this?

quote:

Doom 3 is in there somewhere but it's easier to pin as another dimension spinoff. Heaven/Urdak and Hell are consistent across all the games but between them in the mortal realm are various realities and dimensions. Multiple realities of Earth and quite possibly Quake and Wolfenstein if you really want to take the references in Eternal and New Colossus way too seriously.

Serious question; where's the bit of canon that suggests that Doomguy and Blaskowicz (and Commander Keen, IIRC?) are related?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

massive spider posted:

The bit with the compressors I ripoff for sound design frequently.

I don't want to get too off-topic into music dweeb chat here but are you talking about his 'Instrument' flowchart with all the parallel effect chains effecting a simple sine? Or was there something else I'm not remembering? I loved the concept of eschewing traditional additive/subtractive synthesis in favour of hosed-up parallel chains of effects so much that I tried to build a few mockups in Ableton using native effects and VSTs (something I do more than actually writing music) but they all sort of fell flat; I wish I had that hardware grit. Also creativity.

Still gotta finish DLC1 but drat this new one sounds like a jam.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Guess what finally shipped today!

Also came with a little floppy disk pin with the classic logo on it, and a poster of the original box art. The helmet is MASSIVE. Don't know what I expected but it's significantly wider than even my biggest motorcycle helmet. Visibility is virtually non-existent. It is also, unfortunately just too snug on the inside to fit my DJ headphones in - I guess I'm going to have to order a pair of in-ears, because I really want to spin a set with it on. I've DJ'd wearing worse.

I'm still working with buddy on the 2016/Eternal Slayer cosplay (more accurarely, acquiring supplies so he can build it), although our work has significantly slowed down with local covid measures. AFAIK the suit just needs paint, we need to form the visor, and he wants to run some EM wire through it for the glowing details. The SSG, though, is basically finished except for some barrel burnishing and nuln oil. I'll get pics next time I'm over at his place.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Starting to come together.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

massive spider posted:

I wish there was some way to replace the crap DLC soundtrack with this guys work. he completely nails it. 6:04 for the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYiXgd2FOpo

This is so good, thanks for sharing. It totally apes Gordon's style, but I really missed that. The breakdown at ~9:24 is especially cool.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

BFG Division is GOATed forever

BFG Division has my heart forever, but I kind of dig the riff in The Only Thing They Fear Is You more. I wish that song weren't so meandering with the synth parts, and I wish there were more repeats of the part at 2:46 where Mick drops the guitar riff down to the fifth/fourth (I think). That sudden harmony change still gives me goosebumps.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Mick Gordon is the singular exception to the axiom "never trust a man with two first names."

I trust Mick.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm embarrassed to admit I still haven't finished TAG. I got hung up on the floating-eyeball-in-a-cube boss fight a LONG time ago and then just never felt like finishing it. :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm sweating it a bit because of this:

Bushmaori posted:

the cost and stress will gently caress over Mick and not matter to Bethesda

He indicates that they already sort of have been doing that, Bethesda's legal team running classic lawyer bullshit; not just being unreachable but constantly cancelling and rescheduling calls, etc.

I was really sad to see their official response to it today. Really disappointed, although IDK why I ever thought a AAA game conglomerate would act any differently. Maybe I just didn't want to believe it would happen surrounding my literal favourite game franchise of all time.

Get hosed Bethesda, Id and Marty.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I hope Mick has the lawyer equivalent of the Doomslayer in his corner.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's on hold right now unfortunately because I ran out of cash, but rest assured the Doomslayer cosplay will be finished. I have someone really talented in costume construction on it. Here's a teaser, it's not much but I think it looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ATiZ1JxExs