Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A friendly reminder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wait a minute, known moron Zaphod42 might be dumb about a thing? Wibby wa wa whammy, I can't believe it!

God drat it, now I want a Doom game starring Rick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

The scope makes the heavy machine gun get a damage upgrade when zoomed in. I was able to run around headshotting demons even during the frantic Gore Nest cleanings. Will agree with the rotary upgrade on the chaingun. It would be better suited if this game had a linear upgrade path.

Yeah, the scope is insanely good. Yes, you're looking through a scope but it's basically only slightly different from regular shooting and in exchange you get insanely powerful bullets that pierce enemies and do ridiculous headshot damage. They burn through enemy health bars like it's nothing and ammo is plentiful. It's my go-to default weapon because anything short of the highest-end enemies is dead in seconds.

Also poo poo, how is this game so fun?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The stun grenade was the first thing I maxed and it is basically a win button.

Honestly the only thing I don't like is the chainsaw. It feels too limited for what it is so I keep forgetting to use it unless I need ammo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It gets pretty useful in certain situations later, especially when two Barons spawn at once. Chainsaw one, focus on the other one.

I admit my go-to there is stun grenade and maybe decoy but stun grenade and decoy break a hilarious amount of combat encounters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JerryLee posted:

If you want to be reductive, "running backwards in a circle throwing ordinance downfield" is the/an appropriate strategy in many Doom1/2 PWADs as well.

It is Mr. Bibs. You're not going to actually get through to him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Glory Kills are a good addition I think. I'd argue they're better than medkits in that they encourage you to get back into the fight instead of frantically searching around for a box. I wish the speed they had with the Glory Kills Go Faster rune was the default but that's about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor of Cats posted:

So I skipped ahead of 1000 posts; now that the game is released; who are the idiots eating their words? Is it still Retard 4 or is this an awesome game?

The multiplayer is kinda rear end but otherwise it's really fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I went for Glory Kills From Further Away (way more useful than stagger + I think), Armor On Kill and Equipment Power.

Holy poo poo people, if you don't upgrade equipment give it a shot. High-level grenades and Holograms are like cheat buttons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't have the BFG yet but my weapon wheel is full, where does it go?

It's got a dedicated thing like chainsaw.

The BFG is just basically a "I don't really want to do this fight" button more than a regular weapon. I actually didn't use it much because the fights are so fun I don't want to skip them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bardeh posted:

I've had two bugs in the final two missions where I've had to restart from latest checkpoint, and then in the final mission I have to restart the entire mission to get past a door that won't open. It looks as if it's open but there's an invisible wall there. :sigh:

I got stuck inside places that I couldn't jump out from a few times and once I got to the last area it crashed multiple times. Very annoying for otherwise polish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really loathed the motion blur and turned it off and don't really miss it, but it looks great even without it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your weapons are already absurdly powerful and zombies already go down in mere seconds. If anything I felt enemies were too squishy beyond a certain point. Having more of them wouldn't help with a Super Shotgun already clears a bunch with a single shot anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaa Boogie posted:

Well, think about when enemies show up.

In classic Doom the first guys were the zombie soldiers then then imps. They're your first tier enemies

In Nu Doom first is the possessed scientists and then imps. Possessed soldiers you can consider the next tier and considering how they've patterned them they're more than just grunts.

Also it's worth remembering that DOOM has headshots now too, which changes how damage numbers should play out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ostentatious posted:

none of you are taking the deep and intricate plot of the doom franchise seriously what the gently caress

Exactly, haven't any of you ever read the Doom novels? This Doom doesn't even go into the glory of Mormonism

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I like how MisterBibs is doggedly pushing the World of Warcraft interpretation of this game's plot instead of the more interesting and better-supported version :lol:

Please don't get him started on honeypots again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish I liked the pistol. It's the only weapon in the game I basically never used outside of the first level or two. I get they wanted it to be your backup weapon and not be too powerful but it just feels so crappy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like just being able to play the frigging game and not having to do a bunch of cutscenes and in-between bullshit to get to the fun parts.

This is gonna ruin shooters for me for the next few years probably. At least single-player ones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I feel that I have to stop moving to use it and who the gently caress does that.

You don't. Not even a little. The scope is basically just a pure upgrade, it's crazy.

Plus it's hilarious for cacodemons since they like to spawn across the map and can't do poo poo while you put a dozen bullets right into their eyeball.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

There's too many Gone Homes and Life Is Stranges IMO, and until recently there haven't been enough Dooms and Wolfensteins.

This is really silly. The number of games-that-are-games dwarfs the number of 'walking simulators.' They may not be exactly in the flavor you want but there are plenty of Bayonettas, Marios, Binding of Isaacs, or countless other games. Maybe if you narrow it down to just first-person games there's a greater disparity but even then there are plenty of things ranging from Call of Juarez: Gunslinger to Borderlands to Overwatch.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 20, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

frisk will become doomguy's friend

It's been done already. :colbert:

the OFFICIAL DOOM NOVELS feature a sequel where the Doomguy returns to Doom (perhaps, as you say, in a NG+) and rather tha killing demons he converts them to Christianity where they become his friends.

This is a mechanic that Doom 5 needs to borrow I feel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

easily the most fun I've had with a shooter in a year. I only wish there was co-op multi in the campaign.

If there are a good hoard mode (not the eh snapmap stuff) or co-op mode I may never stop playing the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I like that kind of cutscenes. What I don't like is people talking and not letting you kill stuff or break things.
There are a few cutscenes where you can't do poo poo but to listen to people.

There are a couple of annoying ones where you're locked into staring and they stand out because nothing else in the game is like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Primetime posted:

So how long before someone mods the game to have a permanent berserk mode? One of the most disappointing things to me is that they give 1-2 packs for the first few levels, then around level 5 you never see one again.

There's at least one berserk pack in every level, usually somewhere in one of the big fight arenas. I know there's 2 or even 3 in the later stages.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because Doom plays differently from those games and some people prefer how it plays?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Fun game. I am literally glory killing everything possible and I'm not sure if this is awesome or a problem with the design.

I genuinely think Glory Kills are well designed.

Early on you can do it to everyone but as the game progresses they last long enough that you don't want to do it stupidly unless you're using the Rune that speeds them up. It's sometimes faster to just shoot enemies than to Glory Kill them and since enemies drop health when you're low on health (if less than a Glory Kill) it's not obligated to get back into the action. It's a good risk/reward feature.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Co-signed on the siphon grenades in boss fights. The last boss in particular has some big windows in which you can get the full duration out of the siphon dome, and if you're at full health, the siphon will switch over to topping up your armor. Also, siphon grenades seem to recharge super fast compared to everything else.

Yeah, siphon grenades are absurdly powerful. Once you get them you're basically not going to die unless it's too quick for you to respond. It's great, especially with the equipment power up items

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Necrosaro posted:

I can play Doom for a good half hour or so, but it will usually CTD with no error during a fight. I have the latest Nvidia drivers and my video card isn't overclocked. Is this a common problem with anyone else?

It happened to me 2 or 3 times throughout the game, usually in the Hell segments for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuel Hayden's voice literally only makes me think of the Council guy from X-COM. He isn't the same voice actor but he feels like the same voice actor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I really hate the checkpointing in this game and would kill for a manual save slot.

It's so massively lame when you get a chexkpii by before a big fight but you have stocked up yet, and you have to run around collecting poo poo just to die 2 minutes later and do it all over again.

It sounds like the flaw there is that you're running around collecting ammo and health instead of extracting it directly from the enemy's face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Like 90% of what I have said about the game is positive :confused:

It really hasn't been that bad until I ran into that encounter that took me like 40 tries. I know how to play it. The summoners just really sucked in that big arena.

Are you using your equipment? Holograms, grenades and syphon grenades are effectively infinite and replenish quickly. Holograms in particular are incredibly strong and will give you plenty of time to wreck dude's faces while they shoot ineffectually at the fake mans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChristopherRobin posted:

And then he would lose his mind when the Xbox One CTDs. It's kind of sad now that consoles are not above issues that used to be exclusive to PCs.

There was never a console that couldn't crash.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

So people really love the super shotgun right? It's seemed super bad to me since I got it. Is there some upgrade I need? Because it seems worse than the regular shotgun.

The maximum-level upgrade lets you fire two shots which takes it from "good" to "broken" but even by default its base damage is absurd. Get right up into their face. It can take out ANYTHING in a few shots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

I'm pretty sure my SNES never crashed once unless someone kicked it or something

It is extremely trivial to force a SNES game into a position where it freezes, glitches or crashes. You could do it in FF6 just by using basic moves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Rocket Launcher is a good solid all-around weapon but it's not the biggest stick on the field which takes some getting used to. The Gauss Cannon is more Rocket Launcher than Rocket Launcher and honestly the launcher is better if you don't try to conserve ammo for a 'big' enemy and use it more willy-nilly.

I absolutely preferred the scope for the HMG though. The fully upgraded gun tears through poo poo hilariously easily. I'm sort of tempted to do another playthrough and just try all the upgrades I didn't favor to see if it changes my mind but... eh, Overwatch in ~4 hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I don't think that snapmap lets you collapse a roof leaving you trapped and not able to kill.

Holy gently caress I just realized that the way the demons manage to imprison the Doom Slayer is by collapsing a roof thereby leaving him trapped an not able to kill.

... hahaha holy poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not super fond of the chainsaw largely because a one-hit kill isn't that useful to me compared to 5+ free refills of ammo and if I really do need to oneshot something I have a bunch of BFG ammo I forget to use anyway. I'm not sure how they could have made it better though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I can't enjoy Snapmap because the multiplayer changes completely gently caress up the feel of the game and it sucks.

Also the multiplayer weapons are rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, I feel like if you can see through the hyperbole and stop worrying about whether or not he likes the game, you can usually count on a zero punctuation review to actually highlight a game's flaws remarkably accurately for a comedy routine.

Absolutely not. He frequently gets basic mechanics wrong, claims things are flaws that aren't actually flaws he just misunderstood something, and very obviously will repeat criticisms he heard elsewhere and didn't fact check when he doesn't like a game enough to get far into it. He's really bad even just as a "the guy who lists the bad parts of games" unless you're specifically looking for someone to echo chamber your own opinions.

I liked the new Wolfenstein but I can't replay it because the non-combat segments really really slow the pacing down a lot. If there was an "arcade' mode that just pushed to the stealth/action segments then I'd gladly play that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Liu posted:

maybe they'll remove the tactical scope upgrade and replace it with literally anything else.

The Tactical Scope upgrade is super-good though. It is insanely high damage output and can trivialize a lot of enemies.