Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

It's not inherently bad as I've enjoyed a bunch of the CoD games in the past, but these days I just want some barebones "pick up a gun and shoot another person" kind of MP from back in the day without all the other crap on top of it but maybe I'm just an angry old man yelling at a cloud in the game industry these days. :(
Holy poo poo you are not alone in this. Multiplayer shooter designers have gotten so loving lazy these days that they cover up a lack of creativity and diversity in their arsenals by letting you slap one of two dozen scopes, lasers and grips all over the guns that they couldn't be bothered to make interesting, fun or balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Doom 3 wasn't anything to write home about gameplay wise, but the campaign was fun enough to play through as a graphical showcase. It had extremely impressive lighting for 2004. That said, Half Life 2 wound up being the real show stealer that year and Valve put Carmack to shame with the Source engine. What it lacked in advanced shading the Source engine more than made up for with its far more advanced facial rendering and realistic textures.