Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Wrong.

Id software was acquired a long time ago. They were still Id software at that point. The folding is something far worse that happened later when Carmack left.

They were aquired in 2009. Carmack didn't leave until 2013 to go work on VR. Very different.

Id in 2009 was still Id. In 2014 though they were gone.

Its more like saying Konami's next game is ... non existent. And that's the case. Kojima left, and Konami may as well not make games anymore.

Carmack left, and Id may as well not exist anymore.

Id Hasn't been in good shape since John Romero left. John Carmack and John Romero were a good team intill they got too big for each other. John Carmack making very good streamline games quake 3, doom 3. John Romero making wide random jumps that end badly, daikatana. If the divide didn't happen I think Carmack would of stopped Romero take those retarded risks and they could of made better games than what followed.

I think they complemented each other in making the first games that are agreed to be good doom, wolfenstein, quake.

Rage was a pretty bad borderlands game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oswald ownenstein posted:

You can't post images of that guy without posting the stuff he types on his monitor

Man I really loved Doom 3. The audio logs were still the best audio logs in any game I've played. Course I played through it before I picked up HL2 so the experience wasn't tainted by how amazing HL2 was.

Doom 3 had some good stuff near the end, it only had 2 boss fights though. I really liked the story of it going through the logs.

There was one of those rooms you follow the robot, the last one you don't get a light. I ran through there with the shotgun waiting for the imps to start their fireballs to show me where too shoot was really fun. I bought the ultimate edition but never really played it, the game is really dated.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Broose posted:

Well, they were a step up from serious sam by actually being varied and interesting to look at sometimes, but it was just "oh, you defeated everyone in this arena? Okay this locked door is now open, please proceed to the next arena where everyone spontaneously spawns in around you, and you kill them to unlock the next door to the next area." It is incredibly forced and the enemies are boring to fight most of the time. I forced myself through it, but I don't think I'll ever willing play painkiller ever again. Not to say that there weren't some levels in there that broke the mold, the amusement park comes to mind.

Shadow warrior was the same, but actually had a decent overarching story as well, and varied the enemies sometimes. I found the guns boring to play with though.

Serious Sam is not a serious game. It's meant to be played in a lan on the highest difficulty with unlimited spawns.

Serious Sam SE is the best, serious Sam 2 is complete poo poo, serious Sam BFE was pretty good!

Last level of BFE actually felt like a SE level, it took like 4 hours to play it with hundreds of monsters on the screen.

gently caress those were good games.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oswald ownenstein posted:

Tbh I found the game scary as gently caress. As in I couldn't play more than a few hours w/o getting too creeped out. Hadn't really played any survival horror games before that.

About halfway through either due to the change in level design or just getting psychologically hardened, it shifted into more of blasting poo poo.

Still remember that early sequence where the guy is like "up here!" and I'm like "yes. lets just live here and wait this whole thing out"

After the floaters chased the truck I was like :frogout:. But I just toughed through it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

GUI posted:

I love Doom 3, but by the time the game gets going there's only 7 levels left. Everything from the beginning until you reach Hell, which is around 17 levels I think? Is almost always Imps, Imps and more Imps, all which you can instakill with your shotgun while they're doing their teleport/growling animation. By the time the game starts varying up enemies, switching to mid-long range encounters, and getting somewhat challenging, there's only two hours left, tops. The Resurrection of Evil expansion pack was a bit better about this despite its love for that new enemy they introduced (that faster Imp variant), but it also had that lovely gimmick artefact that trivialized a lot of the combat.

The regular doom 3 artifact made the game super easy too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Its weird, Bioshock gets all the credit for the audio logs

Thats because it was on the Xbox and all the kids who played Halo(The First First Person Shooter, online multiplayer game). I'm pretty sure a ton of games had audio logs.

System Shock 2 had audio logs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The fight about QTE's begins.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rikimaru posted:

Was there ever a story about this other Doom dude on the left?

Playing doom with a friend like 20 years ago. We got to the end then I turned around and killed him, he was so pissed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

I've never played the expansion, I guess I should give it a go.

The Xpac was basically, oh poo poo HL2 came out a month after our game and loving owned.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Carmack and his linear train of thought.

Would later bring us Rage, the worst borderlands game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought the Doom movie was not the worse video game to movie translation that lost everything about the video game in the process. I think they did a good job cutting it together and keeping the main details there.

Except for the kungfu battle at the end.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

Well the main details except "demons" and "hell" of course.

It was just after doom 3 so yes it was correct.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

Related to this, how were the modern Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior remakes? I own both on Steam but haven't had a chance to play them yet - my PC largely poo poo the bed and I haven't been able to rebuild it yet due to other expenses.

Shadow warrior was amazing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That last boss fight in Shadow Warrior was like an hour long. The boss fights were so satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUfTNLIZlyo
Watch it, YOU HAVE THE TOUCH!, YOU HAVE THE POWER!

Heres a alittle more serious trailer if you cant handle the power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ezugAzc18I

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 28, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

"I'm looking for the doom guy."

Also he just looks like a head for a torso.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I will enjoy playing and beating Doam 4 on friday night.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You mean lovable!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
53 gigs to instal............................

The last l shattered in to a million pieces.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When can us temporary Australians unlock this game?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deakul posted:

Right now.

:getin:

Ok so when I get home from work.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

InterFaced posted:

Listen here, I paid 60 dollars to play loving DooM. I was prepared to play bad DooM. I knew the score.

Lol having to justify buying a video game to play for fun.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hello Mates, I got me some Fosters and some Doom to play. Ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I gotta go post the most racist stuff in the Austriallian DnD thread brb.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Holy crikey it takes 8 entire minutes to unpack doom. bonza thing i got me some liquid-gold to bevie!

I found an Aussie translator.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wamdoodle posted:

This game needs to unlock right the gently caress now in my timezone!

You should just become a temporary aussie! you could be already playing the game 'n' drinking liquid-gold 'n' yelling 'n' fighting the demons of hell on mars!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wamdoodle posted:

As tempting as that is I have to be up early tomorrow anyway. Probably better that it's not. Lol :)

Have a good sleep and don't eat a Dingo's breakfast, mate.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

princecoo posted:

Pretty keen to get in after work.

She'll be apples mate.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

alf_pogs posted:

seems like the verdict from the thread is that game is good?

I played it for about 5 minutes cobber 'n' its kangaroos loose in the top paddock!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The bout of Were-Austriallian is about over. How many levels are there?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like the shotgun rapid fire.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm waiting to monday to hate it like a cool person.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

You really said to the guy "I call it Retard 4"?

And then he gave you a cool poster?

Hes the guy who goes to Game Stop to check what games are out. Let your imagination take over now.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

We're back, baby!

Please do not make fun of Final Fantasy 13.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gropiemon posted:

It didn't feel like classic doom to me at all. It feels like Halo with cheesy gore. No run key, have to upgrade armor and guns, got a lot of buyers remorse on this one.

Getting lost on maps is one of the things that feels like the old games. No reloading is odd. Always sprinting and unlimited stamina makes me feel more hellish than the demons.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I wish it was possible to discuss anything at all on this website without some outspoken LF degenerate or 'alt-right' cocksucker dragging their overwrought bullshit internet culture war into it.

Sure sucks they drove Retard 4 into the ground right?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bardeh posted:

There are a crapload of settings to fiddle around with and I don't know what most of them do or what effect they have on performance.

AA will always have the biggest performance hit. Followed by texture size/detail.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Now is the time to love the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

Well poo poo, the goon hivemind wins again. Installing D04M... :spooky:

e: Goddamn how is this install file even bigger than Shadow of Mordor.

One of us, one of us.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nobody Interesting posted:

where can i download the first episode

On the Internet through steam!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How many levels are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My favorite rune is the infinite ammo above 75 armor. It loving destroys.