Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you look at screenshots its easy to get a bad impression, but if you watch all the recent trailers that I have posted in the OP, its not nearly as bad as you think from the screenshots.

The more recent stuff looks way better, but it's still not colourful enough. One thing that's really iconic to Doom for me is how visually distinct all the monsters are, and I don't really see that here. Other than that it does look pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, the Pinky and the Cacodemons and the Mancubus all look pretty distinct to me in those videos, but the imps and zombies and skeleton / revenants are pretty samey yeah.

I honestly didn't notice there were pinkies shown. I saw cacodemons and mancubuses, and then just a bunch of generic looking zombies/demons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah just ignore any amount of common sense when it comes to architecture and perfectly recreate the maps from a decades old game that were mostly that way due to engine limitations

perfect

If they used common sense and realistic architecture, multi-floor maps wouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing you've probably even used them yourself to find something in a multi-storey shopping centre? Having multiple floors doesn't make it impossible to make a useful map, the problem is video game architecture that makes no sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

Multi floor malls don't tend to be all that complex inside, a your typical one the building is just 3 or 4 main hallways per floor, or maybe a loop for one part.

Yeah, real buildings are generally designed to be easy to navigate and make efficient use of space. You don't get the long winding corridors, secret passages, inaccessible areas, and dead ends that video game buildings have for no good reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

And they have to get some love for the way they incorporated the touchpads and cursor seamlessly into the game for when you were unlocking cabinets.

Zaphod42 posted:

But yeah, the seamless interaction with touchpads was loving awesome
What does this mean?

(I played a tiny amount of Doom 3 and either didn't see or didn't notice whatever you're talking about)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rikimaru posted:

Was there ever a story about this other Doom dude on the left?

The backstory for the first game is that there are a whole lot of marines and you get left behind with just a pistol because you punched a superior officer or something, then all the other marines die and you have to go in by yourself. You find their corpses all over the place. I assume those guys in the picture just end up being two of the corpses you come across.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

He's your co-op mode pal.
Players 2-4 are grey, brown and red. :colbert:

Zaphod42 posted:

The pump action is good, but the SSG in Doom 2 is the real poo poo. That is the most satisfying weapon in any FPS. Boom, chunk-chunk. Boom, chunk-chunk. Mmm, soo good.
It's certainly a contender. The stake gun in Painkiller is pretty awesome too though. Or Quake's Perforator. Unreal Tournament's Redeemer. Rise of the Triad's drunk missile.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Those are all good, but the SSG is the king. :colbert:

Also personally I would rank the Flak Cannon above the Redeemer as coolest UT weapon, but I'd have the redeemer slightly ahead of the Rocket Launcher. Redeemer was fun times. But man I love that Flak cannon, what a great weapon. The two alt fire modes were very distinct and useful in different situations, but they made sense coming from the same gun and both felt great to use.

I think the flak cannon is the best weapon in any game. Its two fire modes make it useful in just about any situation, but it's not overpowered or unfun to play against. And I generally found the redeemer all but useless. But if we're talking about how satisfying they are, the flak cannon is pure functionality whereas the redeemer is big and impressive and really makes its presence felt. Whether you're landing a missile in the middle of a bunch of people and seeing them all obliterated or dodging behind a pillar to avoid the shockwave, it's a weapon that demands your attention.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I really like the enforcer? Whatever pistol it was that you start out with in UT99. It was very effective as a starting weapon.

All the guns in that game are good, really. I know a lot of people don't like the GES biorifle, but I think its main flaw is just being outclassed by most other weapons, and even so it still has its uses.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Related to this, how were the modern Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior remakes? I own both on Steam but haven't had a chance to play them yet - my PC largely poo poo the bed and I haven't been able to rebuild it yet due to other expenses.

I've played a bit of RoTT, and I'd say that if you liked the original you'll probably like this one too. I was never that big into RoTT though - it had awesome weapons, but I found the levels pretty repetitive and irritating after a little while.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

dogstile posted:

If you didn't enjoy the Doom, Silent Hill films or the Resident evil films, you may be taking your films a bit to seriously. Watch them while drunk.

Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter are both great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The executions kinda rub me the wrong way, they don't really feel like Doom. Like, the first 3 games were about being a desperate soldier tackling insane odds and fighting your way into and out of Hell, but it was still a harrowing, dangerous experience. Seeing the player character willingly "rip and tear" demons with his bare hands as if he's doing Mortal Kombat fatalities on everyone in sight makes him seem like a sociopath.

Have you forgotten about berserk packs? I'm pretty sure that it was only technological limitations preventing that from being more visceral than it already was. To me it always clearly implied tearing people apart (rather than people just exploding when you punch them for some reason). For that matter, the exploding deaths themselves are all obviously meant to be extremely gory and represent extreme overkill. There's also the teeth-bared, enraged face the protagonist makes when you hold down the attack button and the grin when you pick up a new weapon.