Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How's the replayability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

maev posted:

Rather good id say if you're interested in trying for all secrets, different weapon masteries - rune combos and trying ultra nightmare runs like a real doom guy.

I'm on the fence because $60 for a one run SP game is just not a thing I do anymore... but I can get it for $45 which is on the edge of impulse buy.

Heard lots of good things about the SP, so whether I'd run through it a bunch or not is a big deal.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Zaa Boogie posted:

http://kotaku.com/how-a-guy-nearly-broke-dooms-snapmap-to-make-a-moba-1780165993

Here's a game designer who designed a Moba in Snapmap. Actually has some interesting things to say about it.

The fact that he did this on PS4 is pretty :stare:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm getting monster frame drops/loading/something - the game will be running smooth as silk at 60+fps, then it will drop to like 1 fps for 10-20 seconds. I'm basically paralyzed and stuck in molasses until it stops.

Is this a known thing or just :pcgaming: I need to resolve myself?

It first happened at the very first gore nest, then again when I went past the first blue keycard door outside.

I checked system utilization and I was sitting at comfortable cpu/memory levels, and its on an SSD so I dunno wtf.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Had a great time with this, went through on UV my first run, but I wish the later areas had more demons :saddowns:

Once you got your full arsenal it was super easy to mash everything in the arenas into paste.

Granted, it was really fun to do so, I just wanted more of it :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doom remains king of being Doom for all time I guess

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Soooo I own a Nvidia 760 with 2GB VRAM, Vulkan won't even show as an option for me and since the last patch the game plays under 15fps for no reason at all (yes, I updated my drivers for vulkan support and yes, I had 15fps with the same drivers that previously gave me stable 50-60 fps before the big Doom Patch). I can't play the game at all right now unless I play an unpatched version wich, the way Steam works is not possible. At least I beat the game the first weekend and played a lot before the update, my only hope is that they unfuck something soon.

*Vulkan is not currently supported on NVIDIA GPUs with 2 GB of RAM on Windows 7 or on the GTX 690. Users with these GPUs need to run DOOM on the OpenGL graphics API.

:rip:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Last year: "I'll get a 960 2gb, it'll hold me over till the 1070s etc come out."

Oops :eng99:

Oh well, maybe it'll support 2gb cards before I get a new one? :unsmith:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

'Yeah, Doom had a pretty entertaining story'

... things I never, ever expected to say to anyone at any point

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

BaconCopter posted:

The "completionist style" of those other vids are leagues more interesting then any actual speedrun watch after your first.

Oh look he jumped on a rail and is across an entire level.

Oh, now he's out of bounds again!

Boosting with the gauss gun? Well I never!

The first time was fun, but holy hell does it not do justice to the game like any of the clockner runs do.

This line of thought will get you tarred and feathered in the speedrun threads, but I'm 100% in agreement for certain games.

DOOM oob skips are lame, DOOM marine murdering everything in sight with flair is awesome.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

Hugo is a guy who understands the concept of DOOM on a very fundamental level. he knows the nature of its very soul. I been saying it since 2016. he knows how to put together just the right amount of badass and stupid that you need for a proper DOOM game.

The one thing 2016 was missing compared to the originals was the feeling of dread and atmospheric exploration, but I think that ship has kind of sailed for new Doom...

which is fine really, there's other places to get that kinda feel (Dusk a bit!)

I wonder if we'll ever see a game as moddable and enduring as the originals. I go back to play them every few years to see it it's just nostalgia or if they're really that good (they are).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Szymanski posted:

Agreed. Doom (1994) weapons are optimal and balanced from the get go, no need to wait for mods to make them effective.

This, I think DE is a masterwork, but the reasons I like it are very different from what I like about doom, doom 2, doom 64, and (especially) doom wads.

Which is fine, plenty of people who love 2016 and eternal never touched doom and have no interest in that gameplay.

But it's also true that I don't want to boot up eternal as often because the combat loop is more complex, which demands a different mindset and mood (get it?) to enjoy.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The SP was crap (awesome music aside), the MP was all.

Seeing the game on a 3dfx for the first time was a singular moment in time though, tell you whut

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gently caress yes

... I'm gonna have to turn down the difficulty

... or replay all of Doom and dlc1 tonight on UV :thunk:

Been waiting for the second one to come out so I can play both back to back

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Holy poo poo for real?! Thank goodness I am completely stuck on the DLC 1 because I hit a brick wall of difficulty and this loving DLC isn’t showing me any mercy despite me playing on Hurt me Plenty

:stare:

carefully sets aside UV thoughts for dlc1

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Lol at how they went full clown zone with the tone of the story from Doom 2016 to now. I'm on board, cant wait for DLC2 to annihilate my wrists and fingers.

I think if they'd gone half way I would have hated it, but because it's so absurd I'm onboard

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I waited for both dlcs and still no separate ice keybind :mad:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finished part one.

Glad I waited, that's a hell of a cliffhanger

Several extremely brutal fights, the last fight in swamps, some of the arenas and the last boss were all pretty rough. I figured I'd have a tougher time getting back into the swing of things, but apparently demon murder is like riding a bike bloody hellbike, I was slaying comfortably again pretty quickly.

Spirits sucked rear end. Turrets are lame in every game. I still don't like the ice bomb.

loving awesome environments.

On to part two tomorrow!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Barudak posted:

Every single second of Doom Slayer on the dragon made me hope it would suddenly become Panzer Dragoon.

Talking to me playing Doom 2016 in 2016: "You're gonna be flying a dragon in a few years"

e: Yeah ok gently caress these new enemy types completely

victrix fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 20, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

which makes me wonder why they bothered introducing that enemy at all

dlc.txt

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also the dedicated "Grenade Swap Button" when there are only 2 grenade types is still Doom Eternal's greatest Sin.

This still annoys the hell out of me (:v:)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Im an Unreal Tournament man myself

well you can get ut weapons in Warframe, and I hear Fortnite is popular!!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I feel like Eternal is very similar in its relation to 2016 as modern Doom wads are to og Doom levels

... that is, insta-slamming the UV difficulty button is actually a bad idea, unless you consume Doom on the regular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

probably a lawyer statement for lawyer reasons, corporate accounts don't comment on this kind of stuff directly unless it benefits them in some way