Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Eternal's writing reminds me a lot of Blizzard's most recent output in the Starcraft and Diablo series. It's introducing a lot of complexity to the universe, while not actually making the universe any more interesting.

Humanity exploiting Hell to solve an energy crisis is great. Doomguy being the original Doomguy, and Hell being terrified of him is great. The UAC being a Hell cult with corporate speak (and the slow unveiling of that) is funny. There were a few bits in 2016 where the storytelling and gameplay didn't match up too well (the few unskippable cutscenes), but most of the writing in that game was fairly tight and either served the purpose of setting the mood, explaining what you were doing, or delivering a joke. Moreover, the presentation of the writing was decent. You could understand the plot without diving into the codex, and the codex just added a bit of flavor without getting too up its own rear end.

The "UAC is a cult" joke in Eternal is run into the ground, I don't remember rolling my eyes as much at the 2016 hologram as I do at the Eternal hologram. The horny scientist lady is pretty funny, but I don't think that was intentional. The plot makes no sense unless you read the codex, so they fixed it by having Hayden monologue at you in Nekravol. I don't think the Doom extended universe is very interesting either. The sentinels are boring, the Maykrs are boring, and the codex writing is verbose and not particularly well written. I feel like I stumbled less on awkward phrasing in the 2016 codex than I do here.

I don't think the writing has improved in either of the DLCs, and I think the plot developments are of a similar caliber to those in Starcraft 2. It is the same kind of puppetmaster plot.

Was the story really improved by having everyone from 2016 be alien gods? I don't feel like Hayden or VEGA became more interesting when the game decided they were Maykrs.

I think having Heaven exploit Hell for resources due to the same need that drove 2016 is a fine idea, but DLC2 then undercuts that by having the entire plot be orchestrated by the Dark Lord.

The Dark Lord reminded me of Amon. Pretty boring bad guy that makes all the other characters less interesting by throwing their motivations out the window in favor of corruption.

I wish there was a toggle to disable cutscenes entirely, including all the unskippable 5-second cutscenes showing you where to go. It would make the game flow better on replay. While the cutscenes in Eternal are generally skippable, there are many more of them than in 2016, and there are also a lot of unskippable little animations of a gate opening, or Doomguy putting in a battery, so to me, Eternal ends up having a worse flow during replays than 2016 had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

hazardousmouse posted:

Wait, what? Is this a setting I need to disable or something? Just came across the Doom Hunter and right as I start switching weapons it pops up with a little tutorial telling me exactly how to beat it.

You can disable those popups in the options by disabling tutorials.

Don't take those tutorials too seriously though, there are often many more ways to beat an enemy than the tutorial shows. For the DH specifically, the tutorial is not remotely the best way to fight them.

If you disable the tutorials and end up being unsure how to fight an enemy, the codex will usually give you the same hints as the tutorial.

Esran fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 5, 2021

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Eternal has an absolutely incredible combat loop, and it's probably my favorite FPS of all time.

It also made a really bad first impression on me, coming from Doom 2016. The story is what it is and can thankfully be mostly skipped, but I think the game does a pretty bad job easing you in to its mechanics.

I disliked the first 3 levels on my first playthrough. The demons are very fast compared to 2016, and without Air Control or the dash, Doomguy handles like a boat. I also had trouble remembering to use the flame belch and grenades, because without upgrades those cooldowns are just long enough that you can't use them all the time. The game frontloads some weird ideas (forced walks through purple goo, tentacles) and some tough encounters at a point where you don't have very much slack in terms of HP. The mancubus gently caress pit is one of these, but that level in general loves locking you in tight spaces. This all felt very frustrating as someone new to the game, particularly coming off the power fantasy of 2016.

The game started picking up for me around Doom Hunter Base. At that point you have the meathook, have picked up a some crystals so you can tank a few fireballs, and you have better mobility via the dash, meathook and maybe Air Control. There's a bit of an inverted difficulty curve going on where I think the first few levels are harder than the midgame.

Playing through the early levels again doesn't cause the same frustration, since I'm better at the game now and can deal with those early limitations, but I'm wondering if switching some unlocks around would have made for fewer people bouncing off the game. I think my preferred order would be getting the dash and fast cooldown flame belch first (giving good mobility and training the player early to use flame belch a lot), then maybe the ice grenade (as a get out of jail free card) and meat hook, then the frag grenade and blood punch last.

Esran fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 1, 2022

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I can't remember if they also do this in 2016, but in Eternal, imps will regularly freak out and flub their throws if you charge at them. They are definitely more accurate at long range. I think it's the case for a few other enemies too that they get less aggressive at short range. For instance, the cyber mancubus in Eternal shoots much faster and more accurately at long range than if you're at medium range or up close. A good example of this is the last fight in Nekravol 1, where the cyber mancubus will likely hit you on the way into the room because he's at the other end of the room from you.

So the answer might be to be more aggressive :black101:

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Doom 2016 is a less complex game, but it's not fundamentally different. 2016 just has a few weapons that trivialise encounters (siege mode, upgraded ssg) making it an easier game, and the equipment in 2016 was useless so there was no incentive to learn to use it.

2016 also wanted you to use weapon alt-fires, I'm not sure why alt-fires don't count as "shooting guns" in Eternal.

Eternal is still mostly about reaction time, positioning yourself so you don't get swarmed too bad, learning enemy behavior and shooting guns. I think the only abilities that are mandatory on lower difficulties are the chainsaw and flame belch.

Doomykins posted:

cyber mancubi trained me to avoid melee
I did this too initially, until I realized their AoE only hits the ground, so if you come from above or jump then meathook to them, they can't hit you with it

Edit: Just went and tried the first level on I'm too young to die, and even though you're more tanky than on higher difficulties you still feel pretty squishy (a melee caco will wreck you in a few hits), and the game feels punishing because the enemies are fast and you don't have the dash, flame belch or meathook yet. The early game doesn't feel great, even on easy.

Esran fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 8, 2022

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Mick Gordon posted:

I’m happy to hear Marty feels I deserve DOOM’s music awards because the truth is those trophies are kept locked in the id Software office. I’ve only ever seen them once. Behind glass. From a distance. Nobody has ever offered to send me copies. Thanks to the show’s producers, I was invited to perform at the Game Awards, but other than that, id Software never invited me to collect awards in person. Marty invited himself to collect the awards on my behalf instead. It would mean a lot to have a memento of all the hard work I poured into the DOOM franchise, but as it currently stands, I doubt I’ll ever see those awards again.

lmao. Mick sadly couldn't be here to accept these awards (because we didn't invite him)

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I don't know about that. The DLC has several tracks I think are bangers. UAC Atlantica Light feels very tense. Blood Swamps Ambient/Light are really moody. The credits theme has great riffs IMO, and I found it memorable.

Esran fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 9, 2022

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
How do you spend an entire week coming up with a response, and the best you can do is a 4 paragraph "He's lying, no you can't see the evidence"?

AndyElusive posted:

they're obviously not going to empty their pockets of whatever information they have to refute Mick Gordon all over Twitter.

That's what they did last year though, at a point when they had way less reason to fight in public at all.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

AndyElusive posted:

Well that's just :sloppy:

What even is time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Not that particular version of the chant you linked to, but there are English chants of Rip and Tear in both Meathook and Gladiator, I'm not sure if those parts are played in game, but they're on the soundtrack.