Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Game looks slow and corridory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
"this is what doom is all about" *canned melee qte animation plays*

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the most powerful pickup in doom 2 makes your hand explode enemies like a rocket launcher

what are you implying

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
thats a stupid thing to say and think

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Mr.Citrus posted:

Yeah except for the fact the devs have publicly said the first version of the game was call of doom

not you the guy who compared murderhand powerup to triggered melee execution animations on weakened enemies

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah, that's definitely a big enough distinction and issue to start being an annoying dork about it. Good call.

how rude

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
im gonna pirate it and not install it

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Rikimaru posted:

I dunno I thought this was pretty rad.

more enemies on screen than the entire actual game combined

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Bardeh posted:

haha yeah dude liking stuff is so cringe

so defensive........

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The real question is how does shooting a demon hell spawn in the face relate to femenism?

E. I kind of hope their is going to be some sort of Easter egg that let's you Samus Aran your helmet off and makes the game go from "brutal macho killfest" to "inspiring and inspirational"

lol

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
ya i also hate women

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i hate lefties, reds, commies and of course, pinkos

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i hate hiprsters

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
this new doom game is so good it just makes me want to kill or injure more than 30 people at a high school in colorado

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

is 'robocop' the new buzzword or something, i don't get it

Quote this post and see that I'm actually a giant idiot sjw

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i really dislike the melee kill prompts because it makes me have to run up to a dead enemy and actually make them dead or keep shooting an unresponsive dummy for a few seconds and it makes me not want to shoot poo poo far away or on the other side of a fence or whatever because they wont actually die

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I know theyre not invincible, i just find it annoying to have to shoot a functionally dead enemy even more. melee kills are repetitive and a chore

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

The intro to this game is so goddamn cool. I don't have time for story bullshit, rip n' tear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yThfdrdFL8&hd=1

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
that sure is a long commercial

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
doom has several mild flaws

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
on the other hand its half a year later and you guys are still mad about it

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Hell yeah baby more long walking speeches, more canned execution animations, more lazy rear end level design. Learning all the right lessons for this one

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
My favorite part of the game was also the cutscenes

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
doomguy is racist

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I appreciate you engaging me honestly but the way everybody else is so toxic I'm not sure if we should continue. But here goes.

1. Like I said before, notice that big ? question mark? That definitely seems like some kinda bonus thing. It seems likely that some of the jumping was from the campaign, but there was jumping in 4's campaign. Some of the things that are more "puzzle" looking, like the mario fire bars, seem likely something that could be just in a rune challenge. I don't know why climb-able wall texture is so bad, there was lots of wall jumping and climbing in the tower like we keep talking about. It wasn't my favorite part of doom 4 but it wasn't very long and didn't exactly ruin the game.

2. I'm not sure what that means, this isn't black and white. Like someone just said, "I don't want any platforming except double jumping in combat", so the line between "is this platforming or not?" isn't so clear. I guess wall clinging in combat doesn't really make sense, but if its purely just you climb a wall to get to the next part of the level traversal, does that mean the game is platforming now? FPS games involve walking around, platforming involves walking around, but walking around doesn't make it platforming. Where's the line? Battlefield has climbing and mantling, but its not platforming. So that's kinda vague and hard to answer.

I'll split this into 2B so it doesn't blend together: Would they code wall climbing just for rune challenges? The coding sure, they definitely code unique things for rune challenges. That said, the code isn't the concern, nor is the texture. I don't think its too likely they'll have movement mechanics in rift challenges that go completely un-used in the base game, although they may have you use them in a much more direct and harder way. Maybe in the campaign you just climb a wall at once place and that's it. And then in a rune challenge you have to actually climb a wall, then jump to another wall to climb or something more tricky. I don't know. But I'm not going to worry about that too much when Doom 4 was awesome and Doom Eternal looks good, it would be pretty weird for them to sabotage their own game like that. They know more about this than we do.

So you see where you're making this a black and white "they have platforming, the platforming isn't unique to rifts, ergo the campaign makes you platform" and I just don't see it being that serious? Doom 4 had platforming in the campaign but it wasn't ever really a big deal. I'm just gonna leave it there.

Until we've seen more, until we watch someone actually stream a full campaign level or we get a reviewer's impression or we play it ourselves, I think we should just be chill and err on the side of trusting Id to make a sequel to Doom 4 that's fun like Doom 4.

Doom 4 had lots of jumping if you wanted to get all the doomguy dolls. You didn't have to get them all, and they were a nice change of pace to collect, even if dying from jumping is kinda dumb.

TLDR: If climbing a wall means its a platformer, then its a platformer, but then Doom 4 is a platformer too. A rip and tear platformer :cheeky: seems kinda silly to me.

ive been calling it doom shiternal

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
ive been calling it get good eternal

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dyz posted:

Because its a shooter, not a technical action game. Having lots of buttons is great, if those buttons feel like options out of an arsenal. Doing something like drastically lowering ammo counts to force people to use the chainsaw doesn't make it feel like an option or another tool in your kit, it makes it feel more like mandatory busywork.

The fact that a bunch of zombies are added to each fight for the sole purpose of of being ammo/armor pinatas (instead of just adding more ammo/armor pickups) seems kinda silly to me.

Someone compared it to macro mechanics in Starcraft 2 and that makes a ton of sense.

Its a technical action game shooter. I mean thats clearly what they wanted to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Barudak posted:

I believe what changed is the codex/incidental dialog writers got swapped, which probably wouldn't be such a big deal if they werent so obviously a drop in quality.

are they