Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Conan's gotten a few games a week or two early before, but I don't know that he's ever done a Clueless Gamer for a game 3 whole months before release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5FWxCb_qU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm cautiously optimistic that the executions are completely optional. There's not way you don't get sick of seeing the same animation over and over again a la DE:HR. If it's something that I can use once or twice a level whenever I'm feeling up to it, and ignore it the rest of the time and play Doom normally then great.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just started playing this and it's sluggish so I'm looking at tweaking it. Everything refers to editing the DOOMConfig.cfg file in C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM\base but that file doesn't exist on my windows 10 machine, in that location or anywhere else as best I can tell. I'm showing hidden files, did a drive wide search, nothing. What am I missing? Mouse acceleration is devil, help me make it go away.

Thanks to the genius naming scheme, 90% of all google searches come up with Doom 1/2/3 stuff.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

sebmojo posted:

John Walker said everyone should stop being mean some people are just bad at games

It's a shame that being vaguely familiar with how to play video games is not a prerequisite to getting paid to play and review video games at a respected review site!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Polygon was given $750,000 to create a documentary about themselves that they accidentally let slip cost closer to $75,000. That's why everything they write about xbox and microsoft is amazingly positive and they played DOOM on an xbone with a garbage controller.

Haha, what idiots gave them that?

Who wants to create a gaming website with me? I can make the crap documentary, you can be wholly unfamiliar with how controllers work.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm sure posts like these poo poo up the thread far too often, but I can't find much help online. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get more than ~15 fps. I would write it off to not being much better than the minimum requirements, but the baffling part is the open beta multiplayer ran amazingly well on my computer a few weeks ago. Does anyone have any idea why the single player campaign would run so much worse than the beta did? Playing Doom is slow motion is not playing Doom.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tminz posted:

Did you figure this out? I'm running a 750ti and was getting about 5 fps until I updated my nVidia drivers to the most recent release. Running at 60+ fps at 720p now.

Not entirely, but turning the paging thing down helped, I'm at like 20-25 fps and I'm almost done with my first playthrough. I'm pretty sure the problem is it's a laptop with a crap laptop hdd. Otherwise I've got a 755m, 8gb ram, and an i7, but D44M does some really crazy hdd streaming doesn't it? I have my 720p laptop plugged into a 1080p monitor, maybe that's just asking too much of it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just looked it up and am I surprised James Spader didn't Hayden's voice, he really did sound like Ultron to me.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm kind of stuck. I'm at a part where I have to use a retina scanner to open a door. It's in this roundabout area that appears to be a bfg testing chamber or something.

I'm going to take a wild guess that I have to rip some poor corpses head off to get in the door, but the doors I came in are locked and there aren't any key cards or bodies in here as far as I can tell? What am I supposed to do here?

You instincts are correct. There's half a corpse somewhere you need, I think a security office nearby?

Also, have fun once you get that door open. :unsmigghh:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jiro posted:

How do people automatically not hear Frank Welker's voice? Optimus Prime made corporate as Hayden, or even the voice of original Toonami promos? It was immediately obvious as soon as I heard him talk in level 1.

I think his tone really helps sell him as Ultron to me. Vaguely sarcastic, exasperated, I am so above this poo poo robot.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Finally finished off the last level today. I was surprised that [spoilers]the mecha spider only had one phase, after the first two boss fights.[/spoiler]

I'm amazing at just how good this game is. I haven't enjoyed a pure FPS like this since Painkiller, which was the true Doom 3, that bumbling around in the dark game didn't count.

The story was perfect and had just enough ambiguity. Arguing over the minutia of official Doom canon is absurd, it's not supposed to be clear cut, they're not trying to write the Game of Thrones of video games. It's just supposed to be awesome and rip and tear and pound that badass metal soundtrack.

Since beating the game on Hurt Me Plenty didn't open up any new difficulties, I assume I have to beat the game in ultra violent to get nightmare, and then nightmare for ultra nightmare? Also I just want to check, is the ending/final cutscene different in ultra-nightmare?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

lazorexplosion posted:

Game is even better the second time around. Like the first time it took me most of the time to just get into the rhythm of jumping around like mad while also juggling multiple guns for maximum efficiency, second time now I can just style on nightmare demons.

I certainly plan to play it again. I missed the vast majority of the secrets. I didn't even see any original doom levels, a shameful doom slayer.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I played all 4 quake games a little bit, and I'm having trouble understanding what people mean when they say that Quake 4 game just doesn't feel like the rest. If you look at the first 3 quake games, I don't think you could find 3 FPS games that were more different from each other. What possible thing could the 3 of them have in common that the 4th one lacked?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I used the plasma gun as my general purpose gun, and generally started fights with it. Big, small, near far, it did okay with whatever I suddenly had to face until I knew what was up and could switch weapons. Also I was a big dummy and didn't do the armor/ammo trick. Something to look forward to in nightmare.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Michaellaneous posted:

lmao @ "Doom is a repetitive shooting gallery"

e: I found that guys issue. He just runs through the levels. He only has like 4 guns at the argent tower level. He probably doesn't explore anything at all.

Someone get that guy a job at Polygon!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think the reason people started to get exhausted right at the end was because the last level wasn't very good. As soon as you get a glimpse of magic power macguffin with the three laser beams you know exactly what is going to happen.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ometeotl posted:

"Well balanced reviews" is not something I'd ever say about Yahtzees reviews.

Zero Punctuation is the only outside source I would trust if I was on the fence about a game. I can trust Yahtzee to point out all the most irritating nitpicky poo poo in a game. If it doesn't sound like the kind of stuff that would ruin my enjoyment then it's probably worth buying. I'm sure it helps that his personal tastes are similar to mine, Portal and Painkillers were two of my favorite games before I ever saw his reviews. I'm fully capable of watching a trailer or looking literally anywhere on the internet to see the bullet point list from the marketing department of a game's strengths, so I'm glad he doesn't 'balance' his reviews by repeating them again.

That doesn't mean that he's God's Chosen Reviewer who is Without Flaw, but I've found his reviews entertaining and informative for years, and I can't think of any other source that is consistently either of those things, let alone both.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How common is cross platform multiplayer FPS games these days? I remember years ago I read something about how they were just starting to try it with Xbox/PC and they were delaying it and trying to figure out what to do because the PC players were absolutely demolishing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Daimo posted:

I do love this games sense of humour.

"Gonna do it anyway, gently caress the system!"

The best part about this one is it's deep in the negachurch of the satanic cult, which is hidden in the tier 4 only top secret research lab, and the hatch is used for sacrificial disposal and constantly covered in gore. I'm not sure which is funnier, the idea of your hardcore super researchers/cultists using such a hatch as a toy or the idea of them being dissuaded by a dock in pay.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Alteisen posted:

I hope it comes to consoles if only for the impotent :qq: from master race retards.

I hope it comes out on all platforms and there's cross platform matches. Then you'd see impotent :qq:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Section Z posted:

I love them, but that default recharge rate is a real ball buster. Even the first upgrade only turns it into "once per fight?" in the early game.

You need the two grenades upgrade, minimum, to make wanting to use it somewhat regularly overcome all the times you try to use it a second time during a fight, but it's still recharging.

Maxed out is much more comfortable to start treating like a regular item rather than a special occasion.

The various challenges and rune upgrades are really ingenious for training you to play better. I never used grenades until I had to upgrade a rune.

Except the challenges that require specific glory kills that are not death from above. I need to glory kill a bunch of dudes while standing at their 7 o'clock and targeting either the spot below their right ear or just behind their knee? gently caress you.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I missed the part where Fallout 4 was team multiplayer and you could chose between heroes with unique cooldowns. Weird.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Mini Rockets are great generally, but the problem is sometimes rockets do whatever the gently caress the want. I was caught off guard by a hell baron with the rifle equipped, so I pointed right at it and fired off like 10 rockets. I saw at least one hit a zombie way on the other side of the arena, and 2 or 3 explode against the far wall, even though I had the cross hairs right on the baron's chest.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought the cyber demon was okay. Maybe the fight itself wasn't stellar, but when it first appears and grabs you and throws you into it's room, and after you beat it and it's like surprise, round two mother fucker were both fun, exciting moments. The first play through at least.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I assume you need to be logged into an Instagram account.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yo, they're talking about the soundtrack, which was released.

This is a bad take.

Didn't we just establish a few posts up that it wasn't though?

And stop being such an insufferable victim god drat no wonder nobody likes you. Oh no I was shitposting and a goon called me a mean name 4 god drat years ago, let me tell you about it.

Edit: Sorry, I actually meant slur so that other goon was technically committing a hate crime against me lol

Actual edit: Oh I guess they did release the whole thing afterall.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I've been playing through and really enjoying this game until...

I decided to replay an early level with cheat codes, and if I'm understanding this right, my save file is now permanently locked out of slayer keys for all future levels? What the everliving gently caress kind of gameplay decision is that? At the very least they could have given some kind of warning. I know there was a mention when you first get cheat codes, but I just assumed the slayer key would be disabled on the level you're playing with cheat codes, not that it would gimp my entire loving save file forever. Now I guess I get to start over if I want to 100% it.

You should probably add some kind of warning to the tips in the OP.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So cheats are still enabled because I didn't go in and disable them, but they don't take effect on new levels, but because they're technically turned on still, new levels still have their keys disabled? That's weird. But significantly better than what I originally assumed, thanks!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I haven't finished but I assume I'm on the penultimate level.

I'm getting a little worried that the game is still constantly throwing praetor coins and argent batteries at me, even though I maxed out the suit and used all the batteries to unlock everything in the hub over a level again. Am I missing something, or is that just what the game does?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This argument is so embarrassing that I cannot pick a side.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maybe he didn't mean to say that saying get gud is the same as saying retarded.

Maybe he meant to say that saying get gud is retarded.

Probably some kind of autocorrect typo, it happens.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I finished it. There's more good than bad, but the story was definitely bad and dumb.

Yes I understand that I can not read the story but gently caress you I want to know what happens. Doom Eternal did a very lovely job of presenting it and should have tried harder. Once I got to pause and read History of the Night Sentinels part XIV or whatever I was about ready to give up on it though. I know 2016 had codex entries you could read too but they were shorter and there were a lot less of them. I always looked forward to those in 2016, they didn't feel like a chore. It's terrible writing when everyone knows what is going on except the player, including the protagonist. The worst part is the cultist/doom hunter bases. "Oh ho ho, you know me old friend from our complicated past together, and I think you'll be impressed with the old adversary that I'm bringing back to destroy you, given your long history together" gently caress you, who are you, and who is that poo poo on the tank? Why do I care about any of this? Not explaining anything at all about what happened between games is just lazy and insulting. They knew they could get away with it because they'll charge us $25 for that as DLC later.

I also really didn't care for how gamey the whole thing felt. 2016 felt like a facility in chaos and/or evil temple in hell that you could find the occasional secret in. Every level in DE didn't make any sense at all except as a video game level. I appreciate no longer having monster closets, but loot closets are just as dumb. Why does the courtyard have a little barred off alcove just big enough for a powerup? Because video game. Why is the switch to open the bars to that alcove three rooms over, just on the wall hidden behind that statue? Video game. Why would anyone design a hidden door to a closet where you have to jump on top of the fountain to trigger it? Why do you have to open the door to the evil pit to also open the secret door up in the tower that leads to a secret behind you? Video game. And why in the gently caress are there Super Mario firebars everywhere? With one exception in Urdak the platforming was never that hard, but it was not fun.

Combat was good once you get all your toys and you get the hang of it. DE felt a lot more challenging to me, probably in a good way despite my constantly swearing at my monitor over the last week. I beat 2016 on Nightmare and right now I cannot see myself doing that with DE, I had trouble doing so on Hurt Me Plenty. And sorry, the Marauders sucked. I don't think any of them killed me after the second or third one, but they are still unfun to fight. The Doom Hunter did a good job of being a complex dangerous boss you had to strategize to defeat without being a fun and attention black hole like the Marauders. Get this, sometimes when tons of people all have the same opinion, maybe its because they're onto something, and not just because they're all dumb or bad or whatever other contrarian hill those 3 guys insist on dying on in this thread.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The problem with the king is the same problem with every other character. They all act like they know each other and they have this history together, but as a player you don't know who the gently caress any of them are so why should you care about any of it? The game acts like you should though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Man, I'm beginning to see why sometimes its better to just lock a thread for a day and force everyone to cool off.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I had to do that stupid level 3 times to get the pinky challenge. What I finally ended up doing was shoot it in tail a few times to get it's health down, and then just shoot it in the face and slowly plink away at its health until it staggered. Looking at the tail too hard seemed to gib them. And there's only 3 in the level and you need every one for the challenge. I didn't learn until later you could immediately redo the level and keep your challenge progress.

GenderSelectScreen posted:

Same. The fact that this is happening to me makes me really depressed and hate myself more for not being able to play a game on the easiest difficulty. :suicide:

Take a few days off and reinstall imo.

I had a legit ragequit too, when the stupid archfiend was introduced. I saw glowing red demons and spent like a half hour running all over the arena desperately looking for the totem to destroy while barely killing any demons, losing my extra life cache, which I never really recovered from afterwards, until I realized what was actually happening. After taking a day or two off I came back, figured out what was happening right away, and turns out thats like one of the easiest arenas if you do it right. I also spent the last week constantly swearing at my monitor over this dumb game. It happens.

Or go play something that's more fun, you don't owe Doom anything. Lots of people don't finish the majority of the games they start, I know I don't.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So I know cheats disable slayer gates but can I go back and find collectibles with cheats on after I've finished everything else?

Also is there a point of no return with slayer gates or anything? I think someone mentioned upthread that you can't go back and unlock any that you missed after a certain mission (until you finish the game) so I just want to make sure that I miss any I go back and snag them in time.

You can do everything but slayer gates with cheats enabled.

The last couple of missions are all back to back and the game warns you about it beforehand, you can't go back to the hub during those missions, but after you finish the game you can keep playing and go back to the hub and finishing up what you've missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jack Trades posted:

You can get collectibles with cheats.
There's a point of no return for gates but the game will very clearly warn you about it.

You can go back and finish everything else, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do slayer gates too, assuming you have cheats off.