Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

abraxas posted:

This magazine I somehow still have a subscription to (I know, it's insane) has a huge Doom article in the latest issue. It's an interesting read and they make the game sound really good.

The one criticism they had after playing a pre-release version for a couple of hours is that the new engine has the same problem the Rage engine had, in that when you turn around quickly the textures start popping in. I'm not sure how much T6 still has to do with all the T5 mega-texture stuff and all but I remember that being really grating and stupid in Rage.

I hope they can either fix it until release or at least make it a lot less noticable than it was in Rage.

Considering this didn't happen at all in Wolfenstein: TNO or TOB which also used the RAGE engine I'm wondering if its just id that have no idea how to use their own engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

It was the first time it had been done, it wasnt as developed as it is now. most games use some variant of megatextures tech now, it's a super efficient way of packing textures and streaming them from disk. instead of scanning for hundreds of different files it's got one to look through which is super well indexed so it can grab only the area it needs considerably faster than loading all the tiles as separate images.

Had nothing to do with rage having pre baked lighting, they just decided to use pre baked lighting in rage because they liked how it looked. rage's texture streaming issues was because of a few decisions they made they didnt have time to iron out properly and working with super limited console ram. It's a shame people think megatextures is poo poo and at fault because it has made a big difference to that way people work with maps now.

there's a megatextures style plugin for unity available called amplify textures which we've been using - http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture-2/
Same concept, works great. Good writeup of how it works on their site. There's another different one on its way for ue4.

If the level of detail and variety in Wolfenstein is attributable to megatextures then I think it's a good thing to have. But RAGE's texture pop-in was a complete shitshow and id tried to pawn the blame on ATI/AMD (never mind that it was happening on Nvidia too). Hearing that it's possible that it could happen again after TNO is somewhat worrying, that's all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Everything gets better with open-world. How else are you going to pick up all 3000 mcguffins

By making the McGuffins bullets that go into your gun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anatharon posted:

A good Doom story:

You here

Demons there

Make demon body here and limbs everywhere else but here.

~fin~

Sounds like Serious Sam is the best Doom ever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whether or not the melee animations are weird or not I just want to say that whoever thought up the name "glory kill," or thought it was good enough to keep, should be glory killed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Doom is a state of mind.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Jesus crhist derndle the assets look like they came out in a game made in 2014 and it has a dumb progression system

Games released in 2014 likely had assets made in 2012 so it's very possible that the assets in this Doom were indeed made in 2014.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

For sure. Also, how odd is it that UT2003 was a thing, it was like a test run.

And full disclosure folks, I had too much caffeine today. It makes me post.

Here's some speculation station stuff for ya: what do you think id's next game will be? A new property, a Quake reboot, another Doom?

Ending DLC for RAGE.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

It'll be like sucking on a DDD titty

I'm completely unclear on what this metaphor could imply.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It does have the same general idea - the player managing large amounts of enemies with the given resources. That's why it was called something like Doom, not because it was literally Doom.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I just beat E1M1 in Doom.... for the SNES (original hardware, no emulation). It's really interesting seeing the myriad design concessions that Doom ports have to make, and I can't think of another game that's been ported to so many different platforms.

Lemmings probably exceeds it, thanks to it just being a puzzle game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you do nothing but run backwards in Serious Sam you're going to die really fast.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Did I correctly see a "checkpoint reached" in a video, implying the game doesn't have a proper manual save and reload feature?

Games can have both (mostly open world games come to mind - Witcher, Bethesda RPG's) but I don't think that's been a question that's been asked in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It just isn't the same without some random guy obnoxiously yelling out "OH YEAH!" every time something gets bisected or dismembered.