Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A true test of SnapMap, I think, would be if one could recreate every single level from Doom 1 and 2 in it. If so, party on :toot:

This is what I really want, but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out full price for a game that might be poo poo but has some cool community content like remade episodes.

(I guess that is pretty much in line with Bethesda's games, but still :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

And didn't even use the right song either, that plays during The Pit.

Shameful :argh:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I just want some loving vanilla DM, TDM and CTF (with some relatively plain classes old-school Team Fortress style), why is this so hard, game developers :smith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...generally FPS games still have those nowadays? Even the Call of Duty games have modes like what you're describing (or at least they did up to BLOPS 2, I kinda checked out after).

Yeah, with tons of perks, abilities, etc.

It's not inherently bad as I've enjoyed a bunch of the CoD games in the past, but these days I just want some barebones "pick up a gun and shoot another person" kind of MP from back in the day without all the other crap on top of it but maybe I'm just an angry old man yelling at a cloud in the game industry these days. :(

The Kins posted:

Yeah, I know, right? Just look at the millions of people playing Quake Live!

Yeah, hard to believe people don't really want to play an inferior free-to-play version of an arena shooter with changes no one asked for or want to deal with!

(Edit: or is it not free to play anymore? I can't remember how/when they started charging for it because Quake Live doesn't appear to have been run particularly well and might not be the best example)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey there KING human being OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM, would you care to actually explain anything in particular or any concrete detail that was wrong? Want to shed some light on the development process since you are so in the know? Nope? Just wanna drop in to say "lol ur wrong I work with Id and know more" uh okay guy, you're real cool!

:eyepop:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Doom is cool and I can't wait to try this game out, I hope it's as entertaining as this thread. :unsmith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

echronorian posted:

if your measure for entertainment is a gay thread on the internet youre gonna love reatrd 4

:getin:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Leyburn posted:

The gba port of Doom 2 was legit as gently caress.

Definitely a huge improvement over the Doom 1 port. For some reason the developers based that one off the Jaguar port? :psyduck: The levels look like poo poo, but the general map design remains largely intact in Doom 2 and the right songs are used on the right levels, versus the original which changed a bunch of them around.

I thought it was interesting too that Industrial Zone and The Chasm were both split into two levels (A and B I think) rather than being cut from the game entirely. The group that did the Doom 2 port deserves a lot more credit IMO.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

Jaguar port was done by Id themselves, and their cut-down IWAD was used as the base for most of the console ports of the era. The SNES port was exempt because it was developed in secret and presented to Id for approval once it was finished.

Doom 2 used a whole new, GBA-specific engine, Southpaw. There's a lot of work in that port...

Had no idea, that's cool though. Was Southpaw used for anything else?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kazvall posted:

Absolute scrubs in here talking down on Heretic without evening mentioning doom2's city levels.

Downtown :negative:

Those levels really are a chore to play.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

...No...no CTF?

:(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AirRaid posted:

From what I've read snapmap stuff has a 4 player limit though.

This sounds legitimately miserable.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I have this on mute on my laptop while I get some other poo poo done and I haven't seen any gameplay yet, just some goony fucks talking in front of a Revanant poster

:thumbsup: good way to get hyped for a game

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This video makes the whole thing look a bit more promising to me, so I guess I'll be one of the only ones who remains cautiously optimistic.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm finding it entertaining but man the loving melee kills from 30 feet away are bullshit

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ChickenHeart posted:

Melee does around 30 damage and misses half the time with how fast the players are moving, so I'm not entirely sure how you're getting punch-sniped; latency, maybe?

Yeah I'm not entirely sure, I see my ping never get above 90 during the hour or so I was playing but a lot of people have over 200 but I don't know how much of that is due to the nature of this just being a beta.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I am looking forward to trying out this new interactive entertainment experience called Doom and I am withholding judgment of this video game until I can play the finished product :)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I can't wait to use snapmap to remake wow.wad

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

You could create a Left4Dead situation where a couple dudes spawn as marines and a couple dudes spawn as barons and they duke it out with some zombies running around in-between them.

God drat, a L4D Versus-type mode sounds like some cool poo poo

Can't wait for the inevitable 2fort remake for CTF too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

this thread is

doomed?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:qq:

But what if this game actually turns out good, what will everyone be angry about then

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Plan Z posted:

I played the first Doom with a joystick because the only other video games our family had played were on the Atari 2600 and we assumed that's just how it was done. My first playthrough took a while to beat.

I remember my dad playing through Quake with a Sidewinder 3D Pro

It wasn't until Half-Life I discovered WASD :negative:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

echronorian posted:

It's a terrible book by book standards

I mean, it's not high art or anything but you can do a lot worse than David Kushner dude, book's fine

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

GUI posted:

Doom............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... :boom: will be good. :boom:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

widespread posted:

Wonder why they decided "HEY LET'S TACK ON MP PEOPLE REMEMBER DOOM MP RIGHT" when I don't even think Multiplayer Doom existed before Quake.

haha what

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This game is good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This game is fun as poo poo on Ultra Violence, I don't think I could play it on anything less. The challenge is good, the game is good, Doom is back

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Samuel Hayden's voice literally only makes me think of the Council guy from X-COM. He isn't the same voice actor but he feels like the same voice actor.

I thought it was Peter Cullen at one point

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mogomra posted:

It seems really strange to compare DNF to Doom 4. Maybe Doom 3, but 4?

I don't think it's too strange. Both were shooters from established franchises that had incredibly long development cycles that went through multiple iterations through different teams with elements that were either entirely scrapped/recycled into the game's eventual (and perhaps improbable) release. One game actually has a soul, though. The other has dick and poo poo jokes and outdated pop culture references.

I don't believe Doom 3 had nearly anything close to the kind of drama that happened behind the scenes as 4 and DNF.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Bethesda thought that Doom was basically like Call of Duty, a multiplayer shooter with a single player campaign nobody cares about bolted on. That's why the free weekend was the multiplayer beta- that's legitimately what the suits thought people wanted. The generally low quality of the multiplayer preview cratered the already skeptical hype around the game, and it wasn't until ity finally launched and people started playing and streaming it that everybody went "oh poo poo, this actually rules" and started buying it.

The biggest change in the skepticism came when Nvidia gave a demonstration of a singleplayer section to show off Vulkan IIRC. Up until that point any demo had been done with a controller and they were pushing multiplayer super hard but i remember when the Nvidia demo hit people collectively went "holy gently caress :stare:" and it recovered a bit of the hype back.

Then the game dropped and everyone was like "God drat the entire game really is like that, doom is actually back" and it took off like wildfire

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Double Barreled Shotgun, biggest dissapointment since Duke Nukem Forever.

You all got my hopes so high for that weapon, i was expecting it to be the screen clearing monster it was in Doom 2.

In TYOOL 2017 however, you need to get right up into the enemy faces for the TBS to do anything at all (and then it blows stuff up handily though)
Sure, it is kinda realistic, but realism is not really why we play Doom.

you had to be pretty close to enemies in Doom 2 for the DBS to work particularly well so idk what you're expecting, the gun absolutely destroys enemies, are you sure you're playing the right game?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I've been calling it Retard 5.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rage 2 looks rad

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lmao show the old trailer and then cut back to more talking, no one loving cares what you have to say

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

"this sequel to this new game is gonna be bigger better and more shootier than the last! Please welcome to the stage Mark Gamemaker and his associate community manager Hodge Podge Doritos!"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We could show you these new guns in game but enjoy these still renders instead - an actual video game presentation

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Level is flowing incredibly smoothly

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Looks great

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dragging the guy slowly by the key card lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This is what my 12 year old self imagined what would be going on in space during Doom 2 Hell on Earth

This is v good