Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Really?

Stormgale posted:

How do you do death from above glory Kills (On PC) I've trued jumping down and hitting F on Glowing orange guys

You have to be right above them. Jumping and pressing F won't work. You have to double jump (spoilers) + F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stormgale posted:

YOU CAN DOUBLE JUMP

You will eventually find double jump boots. You can't double jump from the start.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Weapon balance feels good. I've used every weapon roughly equally so far, even the standard shotgun. The secondary fire modes (there are two for each and you can cycle through them with one button push) means every gun has their uses. Some guys may prefer the rapid fire mode on the standard shotgun over the super shotgun for instance.

In fact, you can do a lot of "combos" by switching guns.
For example when taking down Barons of Hell from a long range you can do Rocket Launcher lock-on secondary, which will briefly stun him and give you enough time to switch to the Railgun and do a Siege Mode charge shot.

Also some guns have great secondary modes but mediocre primary modes so switching weapons all the time is really good.
I have even bound all the guns to my extra mouse buttons for easy access mid-fight.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Good game so far but good god the sound design. Do you ever stop hearing the raspy wheezing from the scrub enemies that you should rarely even bother to kill? Also the shotty is good but the pistol sounds so anemic.

Pistol sound effects are good at reflecting it's effectiveness.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

You know the mp is kind of fun when you're not dealing with the demon rune bull poo poo.

Is MP different from what it was in that open beta? Because that was some major shithouse.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In case you guys didn't know. You can actually unlock original Doom levels in DO4M by finding specific secrets on each level.
I have only found E1M1 but considering there's a whole menu for playing Classic Doom levels, I imagine the whole Doom 1 campaign is in DO4M.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Crusader posted:

between the absolutely bare minimal intro cutscene (if it can even be called that), and doomguy's active contempt for npc infodumps, I'm really digging the conscious return to anti-narrative here - the game knows what you're here for, and it's not half-life-esque story

There's like a plot and an anti-plot going on there.
On one hand there's this serious looking story about how the Doom Slayer (lol) is this godly figure that survived literal Hell but was captured somehow and this company freed him for some secret reason and yadayadayada.
But on the other hand Doomguy doesn't give a single gently caress about what's going on and he just wants to break poo poo and kill demons.

I am genuinely enjoying both sides of the plot. Doomguy's reactions to exposition are amusing and I'm interested to see what kind of ridiculously stupid twist they'll have on this whole "Doom Slayer" plot thing.

SigENeaT posted:

Note: The "secret notification" buff does not highlight where these god damned levers are. :S

Secret Notification thing doesn't seem to do poo poo. The only times I heard it beep at me was when I was literally pressing my face against the secret in question.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ever since Nvidia released Game Ready drivers for Doom, earlier today, the game runs with rock solid 60 fps.

Also, MAN! I got to the Cyber Demon and he's a proper loving old-school FPS boss fight.
With attacks patterns. Bullet Hell-style attacks. Weak points. loving amazing!

Does anyone know how long the game is and/or how many boss fights there are in the game? I got my first boss fight 9 missions in.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hmm, that's mine except with a 960 instead of a 970. Also, it very precisely goes down to 60 to 30fps when the frame rate drops. Is that intentional?

Set VSync to Adaptive (or Off but Adaptive is flat out better) in the options. That'll fix that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game has been crashing for me more and more often lately.
I used to be able to play with no problems but now it just crashes to desktop every 30 minutes or so, always in the middle of combat too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Where in the history of ever has anyone played a shooter with a good story?

Wolfenstein: The New Order, kinda? Not complicated but still very good actually.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

circle strafing only really works on the possesed and some imps and maybe a manicubus. the rest require charging, dodging, running backward.

Circle strafing works great on Cacodemons, Pinkies, Specters, shield guys and both type of soldier guys (laser and plasma varieties).
Provided you have space, you definitely can't go wrong with imitating a carousel unless you're fighting Revenants or Summoners basically.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, protip: Keep using the strong weapon attacks that have cooldown (basically all secondary attacks and the slower weapons) and switching to different weapons.
Personally I have bought all the weapons to different mouse buttons and keep changing between them like crazy mid-battle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The second boss is way less awesome than the first one.
All of his moveset is rendered moot by strafing and double jumping non-stop.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Bat the game. Eh, it was alright. The endgame really petered out hard, it fell into the exact same rigamarole as Serious Sam where they ran out of ideas for level design and just threw the player into big open arenas (sometimes with platforming) with a full refill of all resources at the end and so nothing was gained or lost except for time.

At least the areas aren't gigantic flat perfect squares like in that game. :sigh:

I was just about to say that I wish that arenas were larger and more open.
I keep getting stuck on terrain and in corners while trying to maneuver around.

Xaris posted:

Does that mouse smoothing fix that weird sort of resistive slow mouse look?

I loving hate that poo poo

That's exactly what it does.
The smoothing is loving horrible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I clearly missed the mandatory-to-be-a-decent-FPS player training segment for this, what's the gimmick for the second phase of the Cyberdemon fight?

I assume you have a problem dodging a specific attack. Which one is it?
Because other than that it's just unload your ammo until it doesn't move anymore.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

After completing the game I still find the first boss to be the best one. Second boss is quite boring to be honest and the last one while being great, didn't have very interesting attacks to dodge.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

gfanikf posted:

Has anyone done a text dump of the lore codex files yet?

"Demons are huge therefore they have huge guts."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish the game had a mode between Nightmare and Ultra-Nightmare that would let you save but ONLY between levels.
I'm not a fan of checkpoints in Doom. It feels like one step behind quicksave scumming.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone been doing SnapMap Puzzles?
I've been sitting with the Teleport Filter Challenge for way too long now and I can't figure it out. Anyone knows how to solve it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone have any tips for how to effectively deal with shield guys in early-game in Nightmare? They're somewhat messing me up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DOOMtm is loving great. What is badly needs though is more levels, and BIGGER GUTS.

More level packs instead of multiplayer horseshit please, I'll buy all of them. You can skip the cutscenes too, kthx.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Morter posted:

No, cutscenes are great. I want more problems being fixed with punches (and kicks).

I like that kind of cutscenes. What I don't like is people talking and not letting you kill stuff or break things.
There are a few cutscenes where you can't do poo poo but to listen to people.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

I like the button that quits the game after death because getting sideswiped by a baron after killing four of them and thinking that should be enough for now sometimes makes me want to destroy something beautiful.

Sounds like you need to rip some big guts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirDan3k posted:

My problem with "games as art" is people who push it seem to have a very narrow view of what art is. DOOMtm is art but because it doesn't explore the themes they want art to it's not art to them.

DOOMtm is totally art.
It's a beautiful painting made out of huge guts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sebmojo posted:

banging my head against second phase cyberdemon, got him down to 10% multiple times but nnngnggngngn

can't imagine how people could do it on ultraviolence, let alone permadeath nightmare.

are there any tricks, apart from don't die?

Shoot him until he dies.

Real talk, I don't remember all the attacks but what I do remember.
To dodge the waves you single-jump twice, it's a pretty easy.
To dodge the missiles you can just keep circle-strafing or if he walled you up, you can just walk left and right in tandem with them.
To dodge the mega laser you do the same thing as dodging Imp mega fireball. Walk into one direction and then when the laser is almost ready, double jump into opposite direction.
Are there any other attacks that you're having trouble dodging?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 21, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ChickenWyngz posted:

Trawling the bottom of the snapmap barrel is fun as gently caress. Coming across a childs "pls be niec" film of an imp falling over to weird music that cuts to a large "lol" made of pipes. A reminder of my own childhood innocence. Art.

There still isn't a single well-made survival gamemode on there.
I should just do one myself.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Don't use the rocket-missiles against the Cyberdemon since it's immue to rocket splash which does the bulk of the damage. Use the plasmae instead.

That made me want to play DoomRL again for some reason.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JerryLee posted:

It's interesting to me that they replaced all the pickups with sprites in the retro levels, but not the enemies. I guess the problem there was not having sprite animations ready to go for a lot of the poo poo the new monsters do. I.e., if you're using the old Imp sprite, you have to either sprite out new animations for when it jumps on a wall and charges up a mega fireball, or else have it look stupid.

I don't understand why they didn't just squish the models (depth-wise, kinda like what Dead Rising did for flat-mode cheat thing), lower the resolution on the textures and change the texture filtering to nearby on those models.
That would make them look decent enough as sprites without having to do any new content at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Augus posted:

Glory Kills are good design because they make you play the game the way it's supposed to be play, shooting demons. If you're low on health the solution is to shoot more demons. It's great.

and if you're low on ammo, you chainsaw some demons.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SP content when?

It's been said a million times already but Singleplayer in DOOM(tm) is the best FPS gameplay since Wolfenstein: New Order while the Multiplayer is hot garbage and I cannot fathom who would even care about DOOM's multiplayer and why won't they release singleplayer DLC instead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Kins posted:

It's not new single player levels per-se, but they're working on some stuff for Campaign. Namely, a score attack mode.

Sounds like it would be a very good reason to reinstall the game again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Why there isn't a survival mode where you just fight wave after wave after wave of demons in a huge arena until you die will forever be a mystery to me

There are many different ones in SnapMap but I haven't found a single great one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bushmaori posted:

Add a way to skip the few bits where you have to wait for people to shut the gently caress up and I'm so loving in.

This.
They should let you skip the "cutscenes" at least if you've already finished the game once.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Doc Friday posted:

I got this game yesterday. Killing demons is really fun.

Rip and tear. Until it's done.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit I would have liked seeing people besides Hayden, Olivia, and the Computer, game felt oddly quiet in certain parts

The only things I would've liked to see more of are demons.
The ripping and tearing stopped too early.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder if anyone has managed to finish the game on Ultra Nightmare on console (or more specifically, using a controller)? I can't even imagine that being possible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jum-Jum posted:

I got nerdy goosebumps when he said that, that was the best. gently caress DOOM SP was so good, I crave an expansion. The SnapMaps are cool but too limited for me to enjoy, finishing the campaign 3 times is enough for me. Especially since my Ultra-NM save got corrupted half-way into the campaign.

Same. They said they're making some sort of Score Attack mode for singleplayer. That will definitely be enough to make me re-install the game and go for yet another playthrough.
Ripping and tearing is cool and all but ripping and tearing in stylish fashion is even cooler.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

They nailed the Devil May Cry feel by having rapid weapon switching be an integral part of doing well in the higher difficulties. An actual combo system through score attack mode would kick so much rear end.

Yeah, that was great. DOOMtm was the first game where I had proper use for the million mouse buttons on my Logitech G700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

jonathan posted:

Doom 3 basically had me in a panic attack the entire time I played it (I'm a pussy for emersive scary games).

Doom 2016 makes me feel like much more of a badass bootfucking anything that moves.

I think the tossing of the computer screen at the beginning, cracking knuckles and punchingbthe elevator intercom does a lot to set the attitude for the game. I'm not scared, I'm pissed off.

DOOMtm had literally one jumpscare early in the game which kept me on my toes, waiting for the second one, but it never came.