Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I can't believe how something so mundane like centering the weapon model is bringing such a huge smile to my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Broose posted:

Is there a mod out there that turns the volume down on the possessed's raspy alert noise? It is so loud compared to everything else. It is almost like the game is glitching out and playing the sounds on top of each other, making them super loud like some other games do.

Yeah, that's really weird. Even a single Possessed sounds like a mob of them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They nailed the Devil May Cry feel by having rapid weapon switching be an integral part of doing well in the higher difficulties. An actual combo system through score attack mode would kick so much rear end.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I guess it's my fondness for the Quake playstyle but my weapons of choice were the divine trifecta of Super Shotgun, Gauss Cannon, and Rocket Launcher. The Chaingun didn't impress me since the three did enough burst damage that the DPS of the turret Chaingun wasn't enough to balance out the movespeed reduction.

Hell, only the rocket machinegun was worth using among the bullet weapons by endgame IMO; their damage and homing ability were really good for smoking Imps, and shone against everything else with Quad Damage.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Remote Detonation is so good I consider it superior to Siege Mode in concept, holy poo poo. It's a mod that, when fully upgraded, lets you be a bit more careless about rocket placement AND rewards you for direct hits; I cannot fathom how Lock-on is superior to making every rocket do a bit more than twice the damage with proper aim since even only catching a demon with the remote explosion is enough to flinch it for another rocket to the face.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

nnnotime posted:

I'm at Argent Facility (Mission #4) and finally getting the hang of the game, on Ultraviolence difficulty. Should I restart on Nightmare? With all the upgrades I'm wondering if that will start to make the gameplay too easy.

What's the difference between UV and Nightmare difficulties? I did a Google search but can't find any specific answers.

Yeah, UV is kinda easy once you get all your upgrades set. You may want to stick with UV until you've seen all the baddies, and then you can decide if you want to switch to a harder difficulty.

Nightmare basically ramps up the damage you take to "oh poo poo" levels. It's a lot more hectic because you do not want to get hit at all; a standard Imp fireball IIRC takes 40% health off, a charged one is practically OHKO, and getting too close to a shield zombie is asking for a reset.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also, higher difficulty doesn't increase enemy health pools at all, only enemy damage output. It's one of the reasons why the Quake triad of weapons (super shotty, rocket launcher, gauss cannon/railgun) are arguably the best; they'll still kill most things in the least amount of shots in Ultra-Nightmare without requiring you to slow down and possibly get hit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GUI posted:

Hello goons I woke up today and while in the shower I started thinking about how awesome it'd be if Doom (2016) had a Turbo mode like in Devil May Cry where everything is faster. Player movement, enemy speed, enemy attacks, etc. I think it'd be pretty cool especially in areas with the Haste and Berserk pick-ups.

Doom is good.

I've noticed Doom 2016 has this weird ebb and flow to some encounters where at times the action is insanely furious and my every move is on the threshold of giving me whiplash, and some other times where I'm roaming and looking back and forth for targets and they're either way out of range or just plain out of sight. It's usually Mancubi or Imps set to kite you that are the culprits for the latter feeling.

Turbo Mode would be nice, but I don't think I want it to apply to every monster. Turbo would be great for Revenants, Mancubi, Barons, and the zombies, but giving it to monsters that are already aggressive enough like melee Imps, Pinkies, and Knights would probably be a disaster to play.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bushmaori posted:

Fast monsters + permahaste?

Monsters already move quickly enough IMO, but a hypothetical turbo mode definitely should let them be able to attack faster. Generally melee monsters are much more dangerous than ranged, and it particularly shows with Revenants and Barons with how slow they shoot their projectiles. Cacodemons show just how deadly a monster that can move and shoot at the same time are, and if they can't move quickly, at least they should force you to do so.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The album release reminded me of the fact that Hell basically wrote the grimdarkest fanfiction on how Doomguy is the hardest motherfucker in the universe :allears:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bud K ninja sword posted:

only if you get a sweet electic guitar and you had a big button that just dropped some heavy poo poo all crunchy-like because its rear end kickin time

one of the co-op modes is doomguy being assisted by a night sentinel ghost bard rocking on a guitar, and the bard is basically playing guitar hero. the better you do, the more buffs doomguy gets

star power is hell power, and gives doomguy powerups

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy poo poo, Arcade Mode. It has:

1) No cutscenes nor secrets
2) Score multipliers for drat near every cool/skill-based thing you can do
3) Maxed out upgrades for Doomguy and the weapons he can access on that level
4) Non-stop demon murder
5) Leaderboards and rankings

Play Doom 2016, this year's GOTY

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit, where's that second Doomguy bonus in Foundry? I can clear the level now on UN and have an optimal path, but it's all I need for the Slayer rank.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh god. There's Bronze, Silver, and Gold rankings.

If you cross a hidden threshold (likely only possible by getting all Gold relics and the Doomguys bonuses), they combine into Slayer ranking.

Slayer ranking. S-Rank.

EDIT: Confirmed that you don't need all the bonuses, but they certainly help with crossing the threshold. No, I still haven't found the second Doomguy in Foundry :argh:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 22, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
yeah no, let me use glory kills as insta-teleports to fly around the arena and cut down my clear times in arcade mode, ty

good mechanic, best game

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Doom 2016's Imps are probably the best enemy I've seen in terms of maintaining overall gameplay flow. There's usually always one or two attacking you and keeping you on your feet, either through standard/charged fireballs or running up to claw your face. They complement every other enemy in the game; it's legitimately a fantastic piece of game design.

The only flaw I see in their implementation is that some Imps are just plain hard-coded to keep kiting you even if they're the last enemy remaining, instead of just rushing you to end the encounter. Gets annoying in some of the bigger arena fights. Still one of the best examples of enemy design I've seen.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I still want that DLC set in the fall of Argent D'Nur, with your weapons being future-tech medieval poo poo. Everything is a low-key tribute to Heretic/Hexen.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

The previous FPS i played was Bulletstorm which was loads of fun. In the Half Life era i played like all the FPSes, with Half Life 2 being the last one i played before Bulletstorm (and now Doom)

I just got the heavy machine gun which made Doom a lot more fun though, it feels really great to use. Using the shotgun just makes me miss the Doom 2 double barreled shotty.

Christ you're giving me a gamer heart attack here and turns out you're barely into the game, go on and keep killing poo poo

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

The multi-manual-detonation for the rockets is still my absolute favorite, to be honest. Always feel like such a badass when I lead my shots just right to blow up one person twice with the same rocket.

I thought micromissiles were kind of boring honestly, I want to be as directly responsible for all explosions I cause as possible, and they just... go off and do their own thing! Screw that.

I like the rifle/micromissile for Imp hunting, particularly in Arcade so you can squeeze every point and medal out of each of the little shits. Remote detonating rockets are definitely my favorite weapon/mod in the game though; it's such a flexible weapon and is pretty much king of midrange combat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Get the upgrades for that sucker. Get the one that lets you shoot twice before reloading. It is power beyond what you dream of.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, but it only liquefies like two, maybe three imps in one shot if you line them up right.

Imps in this Doom aren't dumb enough to stand in front of you and get massacred in one sweep, they'll be ninja-flipping and running everywhere like assholes. And then they get massacred anyway.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 7, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So if I wanted to get that one the first time, I should have taken the grab ledges faster Dexterity perk (instead of the "Detect secrets" one). I also unfortunately spent the second weapon mod on the shotgun as well, because the sneaky devs put the second mod pack in just before you can get the new guns on the level.

Nah man, the dexterity perk is for combat when you're jumping around and getting up a ledge a half second faster might be important when it comes to not catching an imp fireball with your rear end. You don't need any of the perks to access any of the secrets.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
so are people going to come in and scream RAGETARD 5 now

(I'm hopeful for RAGE 2; the first game lacked so much polish yet still showed enough good stuff and potential that the bad parts stood out more, so having two studios work on their strengths on a collab project sounds great on paper. Hopefully it works out.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I kinda liked the characterization of Ranger in Quake Champions. He's still clearly human, unluckily ending up as an eternally-wandering warrior crossing dimensions and worlds trying to find his way home and being weary of it. Contrast that to the silent Doomguy, who is "human" (big question mark) yet has completely accepted his mission to eternally wander space and time to kill all the demons, ever.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hell, I thought the glory kill animations were still just a tad bit too long (except with the faster GK rune, that poo poo's just hilarious), but the way they figured into combat regardless was brilliant. From starting off with glory kills as a way to refill your easily-spent shotgun ammo/not waste shotgun shells on a killing shot, to using them as an emergency health refills from big hits from big monsters, and them always being a good way to buy invincibility frames in a hectic situation, glory kills had a place in Doom 2016's combat. They were fantastic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah, yeah, that simple punch and boot is kinda lame. I wonder if it's missing some physics, like the imp is supposed to be sent flying after the hit. At least the berserk version has them exploding after a right hook.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
gently caress yeah Doom Eternal and DMC5. Kill all the demons, with style and brutality.

I hope they give the guns a balance pass. Shotgun is obsoleted by the Super Shotgun, Chaingun is too slow compared to the Machinegun (especially with rockets). Plasma Gun barely hangs on due to AoE stun and arcade mode point cheese.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I imagine the scene where you first meet Olivia Pierce would've been received better if Doomguy just started bashing the gently caress out of the glass barrier when he sees her instead of just standing there.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mick Gordon forever has my respect for making me mark out to the goddamn Doom 3 theme.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
2 Doom Slayers double-clotheslining a Hell Knight, except the Hell Knight gets decapitated

You say, the Hell Knight is taller than a Doom Slayer. Fool. The Doom Slayers are flying

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

What makes you think Doomguy is human?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

also give me an airdashing rune while were at it

it's called the glory kill range rune

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's been a while and i probably wasn't paying the closest attention but why does Mr Robot Science dude have full magical control (that even works when he's literally in hell) over the doomguy, is it like a handwaved suit thing or something

like couldn't the doomguy just get out of the suit and grab a random metal bar nearby and smash the tincans duracells in

I can't remember the exact steps but Hayden installs some tether software thing or whatever into the Praetor suit right before the BFG lab that will let him pull the Doomslayer back from Hell, which he does after Doomguy finds the skullsword they need to close the hellgates. They then have to get VEGA to nuke himself to create a portal to Argent D'Nur, which is where the hellgates are and also I assume is in either a different part of Hell or whatever.

Notably Hayden does trick Doomslayer by force-installing the tether through a door into his office, and he says he had to do it forcibly because the Doomslayer probably wouldn't be happy about it.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 13, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The demons going berserk trying to stop the UAC from reaching Doomguy's prison is one of the most awesomely understated bits of lore in the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

That's this? I don't remember this part.

Hah, yeah, hence "understated". It's in one of the lore entries, specifically the one for the Doom Marine himself.

quote:

Further deepening the mystery of his origin, UAC remote monitoring drones in service during the Kadingir Expedition recorded a protracted and deadly battle during the sarcophagus extraction -- the demons attempting to defend the tomb with an instinctual ferocity previously unobserved.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

quote:

"#str_achievement_27_name" "All Juiced Up"
"#str_achievement_28_desc" "Find all BFG upgrades."

This had better be in Doom Eternal

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah man, I've played Project Brutality and the alternate firing modes on the BFG10K were rad as gently caress. Let me use it as a smart bomb, the most dangerous plasma rifle ever to use in a game full of melee enemies, or a sickass railgun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
doomguy canonically already died at the end of episode 1 of doom, he just kept going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

ONCE YOU BEAT THE CAPRA DEMON AND
CLEAN OUT BLIGHTTOWN YOU'RE SUPPOSED
TO WIN, AREN'T YOU? AREN'T YOU? WHERE'S
YOUR CURE FOR THE HOLLOWING CURSE AND
TICKET TO ANOR LONDO? WHAT THE HELL
IS THIS? IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO END THIS
WAY!