Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So been playing this game off and on over the weekend and I love it. Today for shits and giggles I switched to my Xbox 360 controller and I gotta say it feels a whole lot better to me than mouse and keyboard. I'm the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Here's a video of me running through my map kind of poorly and if you look closely you can see a lot of the behaviors that have been mentioned. Including an imp leading me by a fair ways, and the weak nut shield guys that I dance around for awhile before I remembered I could just blast them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP39zXeR0pE

What i'm seeing here is quite impressive! I haven't touched snapmap yet so i'm not sure of its limitations, but it looks at least that you can string enough rooms/corridors/large arenas together to emulate the qualites of old school Doom maps.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xenomrph posted:

Doom3 got great reviews when it came out. Even the BFG edition was reviewed well.

I still love Doom3. I see Doom 3 and Doom 4 as two sides of the same coin. The original Doom had this side of "one man against the world" edge-of-your-seat thrill ride where you had scary dark rooms and monster closets and demon spawn ambushes, and crazy Hell iconography and blood and gore all over to really hammer home that you're just some dude with a shotgun fighting his way through literal Hell using nothing but sheer determination. But then it also has a bunch of power-fantasy moments where you're going hog wild with these crazy guns and mowing down bad guys like a maniac, or punching demons into bloody gibs with a berserk pack.

The reason the game could get away with having two radically tones like that is because it was a primitive video game, it didn't need anything like "consistent tone" or "character progression" or "coherent plot".
That kind of stuff doesn't really work with modern shooters, so Doom 3 and 4 each focused on one half of the experience. Like, both games are very "true" to the original Doom, it's just that they're true to *part* of it.

poo poo, even the basic plots tackle the same premise (UAC opens a portal to Hell, one Marine has to fight through demons) in really different ways, but they both feel like logical updates of the original Doom's premise.

Quoting this because I see Doom 3 the same way and quite enjoy it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ChickenHeart posted:

Hey you goombas, are you searching for that hip new Snapmap work of art that blows its competitors out of the water and pushes the editor to its limits and beyond?

Well, this isn't one of them. BUT I spent a metric assload of time working on this piece of garbage, to the point where I literally had to shave away cosmetic doodads and minor pickups just to make room for the last bit of scripting to make it into the object limit. I present for your entertainment...

W.A.D. - LEGEND OF THE IMP ZONE

SNAPMAP CODE HERE: TBRCKH8R (Download it and check out the stupidly-huge webs of logic chains littering the entire thing!)

As a member of W.A.D., you and up to 3 friends are tasked with exploring the unusually clean-and-well-lit ruins of the UAC research station GROVERDOM, whose inhabitants mysteriously vanished without a trace after reporting that their science team discovered the long-lost Hell-realm mentioned only in faded tablet fragments: The Imp Zone. Are you a bad enough dude to uncover their fate? Will you survive the Hellish gauntlet of Hell-based Helldemons who Hellaciously pursue you in every room? Can you stomach a 2-weapon limit? What does W.A.D. even mean?

As the first tentative release, I STRONGLY recommend going in this with 1-or-2 players: Initial testing has revealed that unexplained crashes occur more frequently with more players firing wildly and there may be weird logic-chain-bugs that I haven't caught yet. With that out of the way, here's the short list of features:

-8(-ish) hand-crafted rooms filled with uninteresting unique gimmicks, just like grandma used to make!

-Loadouts, complete with unnecessarily-obtuse upgrades and incremental stat bonuses!

-Bosses! Crack skulls with the Boner Brothers; learn Hellthy Beefboy's secret weakness; romance Goonther, the socially-awkward Mancubus; and more!

-Unexplained crashes to desktop, for that authentic 'babby's first mod' experience!

-Awful, and I mean really awful, attempts at humor/bone puns!

-Some explosive barrels managed to make it past the final deletion-sweep for extra resource-space! They explode I guess!

As my first foray into this horrible piece of software, I'm in dire need of feedback, so feel free to toss criticisms/hateful, antisemitic manifestos about anything that can be improved, whether it's a broken logic chain, possible changes to difficult sections/endless wandering, or just recommendations for better dialogue and boss names (I really need to come up with something better than "Hellthy Beefboy"). Oh, and currently the map is set to give you one life only, and glory-kills will only net you precious ammo currently, but if enough of you complain I can try to change that. Also, there's a couple things I caught after publishing that I'm looking into fixing for a future update:

-I for the love of all that is holy cannot figure out any way to establish a ghost camera or something for dead players. If anyone has a clue towards making it happen let me know

-For some reason the game will not count suicides for its end-game state, meaning you'll have to just leave the server to end this tire-fire of a map.

-Hellthy Beefboy's gimmick is that he's largely invincible until you kill his groupies. For some reason it's possible to damage him past his "regeneration" threshold and kill him legitimately, breaking the game somewhat. Also his groupies aren't getting marked on the map for some reason.

-Imp C. Hammer's room (the one after the Boner Bros) has a gimmick of spawning 4 maxxed-health mancubuses (invincibuses) that are meant to herd you around the map until you kill the boss (or waste a lot of ammo on killing them). For some reason they also aren't getting properly marked, so I might need to to something else to communicate their beefiness to the player.

-Occasionally (especially with 4 players) demon spawning will get hosed up if monsters aren't killed fast enough, leading to weird delays between waves and stuff not spawning at all. Lemme know where this happens for you guys and I'll try to adjust spawns to make it less frequent.

-Yes, you are supposed to die in the Imp Zone. I can't figure out how to change the end-game states to give the players a victory state condition once they enter the Imp Zone. Please lemme know if you have ideas for making it work.

Hurl your horrible comments on this heap of junk either in this thread or at my heap of junk Steam page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ChickenHeart/

I'm giving this a single player run through now and will provide a trip report.

E: maybe I'll come back to this with more players :angel:

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 29, 2016

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just beat the game in HMP. Now for a bit of the ol' ultra violence and secret finding! I was 13 when Doom came out and I had my brand new RadioShack Tandy 486sx 33. As a doom player of almost 23 years I'm proud to say DOOM is back!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can't you just start a private server now and invite nobody?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How's the snapmap scene for DOOM now that we're two years on? Any good single player campaigns and what not to extend the game life?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ilmucche posted:

It's impressive in that I don't even register what half of the enemies are, they're just gone before they seem to be all the way spawned in. It's like if DOOM guy from DOOM has spent 3 games perfecting his art and now knows the demons' entire playbook for DO4M

Isn’t this canon?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Omg! Retard 5: Hell on Earth 2: Eternal! It’s real!!! So erect!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Finally having a Doom game that will get the “hell on earth” aesthetic down pat is going to be extremely my poo poo. Doom 2 was great but even new its city levels were kinda lovely and weird and boxy. But this? A solid gold star here.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Broose posted:

Ah, yeah I see it now. He's got bare biceps and his old helm. Either this is a prequel, a trailer for a smartphone game, or doomguy ditched the praetor suit due to the tether system. I am cautiously optimistic but that sub title is really bad and throwing me red flags.

Didn't the final text scroll in Doom 2 mention huge tentacles thrashing around in death throes? That's a nice callback too.

The announcement guys flat out said that this is a sequel to 2016’s Doom.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having just beaten Doom 3 and RoE for the first time, I thought they were absolutely fantastic games. It was fun to try and figure out when and where monsters would pop up and nailing them first, or whipping around and doing a 180 degree shotgun blast to whoever just teleported behind you. I think it’s a poor horror game; but fantastic as an atmospheric shooter.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My favorite Mick work is the closing track of “Wolfenstein: Old Blood.” It’s a collaboration with Tex Perkins called “The Partisan” and it’s bad rear end.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s the slow noodly doomy song in the original Doom? Not sure the level name but it’s all “do do do do doooooo, do do do do do do do doooooooooo, beyewaaaaaaaawwwwww.” loving love that track.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My first PC was an Epson with an 8088 board and no hard drive, just 2 5 1/2 floppies. Drive A was DOS and drive B was whatever games came on those discs. Which at the time consisted of a learning tool for DOS and Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator. In beautiful orange/monochrome. Doom was the killer app on my new Tandy 486SX/33 with 4 megs of ram!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

what would really be cool is if the summoner and archvile show up in the same level and the summoner creates monsters and the archvile creates reanimated flesh golems from the giblets you create from the summoned monsters :unsmigghh:

I'm happy with roomfuls of Summoners who summon Archviles and Pain Elementals. :classiclol:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MysteriousStranger posted:

Just saw the great news that we have our expansion. Can't wait.

Expansion? Doom: Eternal is a sequel

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

gently caress it: Archviles who summon Archviles, and their flame attack is still hit scan.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AirRaid posted:

Doom 2 -

Doom 64 -

drat those are some dope rear end designs! I'm playing Doom64 now and haven't made it that far.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A.o.D. posted:

I've tried, but the soundtrack :(

Is awesome, agreed!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

They haven’t but they balanced to light, medium, and heavy characters so there is less inane bs to remember. They fixed a lot of hit boxes and weapons numbers so the core feel is pretty good, I’d say it’s not at a Quake 3 Arena level, but it’s definitely better than Quake 4.

In honor of the new Doom Eternal teaser I’ve started a fresh Nightmare run of DO4M. Unfortunately with “Dad gaming times” I’m only up to Argent Tower, but man is this game buttery smooth both gameplay and engine wise.

I really hope the new game doesn’t change anything as far as feel or engine goes, and just adds more demons and new setting. I’m pretty sure that is the best chance of success. IMO it doesn’t need an iterative addition to the core mechanics and gameplay.

Otoh, I’m hoping for more story/lore dumps, quick time events, and choice/consequence RPG storytelling, laid out in an open world on Earth.

That was a joke.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think the original Quake esthetic would make for a cool RPG, especially considering it was born out of the failed RPG they dreamt up. Going through slipgates through bizarre and grotesque dimensions and worlds would be pretty cool.

Turns out that Quake and its dimensions are just Daedric realms in Oblivion and now Bethesda can make their dream open world multiverse RPG.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

While we’re at it give Doomguy Navi.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

chiasaur11 posted:

The sausage king of Chicago?

I’m glad I’m not the only one who immediately thought this.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the best thing about DOOM is that it goes against the trend of adding characterization. Doomguy's motives are displayed through his action, not dialogue. He smashes poo poo. The most emotive moment in the game is when he fist-bumps the little Doomguy Doll. I'd like to see Doom Eternal continue the trend of big science people talking and complaining all the while Doomguy never stopping to listen and constantly shooting. I find that to be cathartic vs all the relationship building in other games. I'm not against relationship building, but I don't want it in DOOM.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zaphod42 posted:

Half-life doesn't have Gordon EVER talk, but has lots of little moments with npcs. Good balance.

Chell also NEVER speaks, but GLADOS does.

I really like the idea of doomguy grunting and then people responding like he said something, like green acres.

Yea, but those games already do that, let that be their thing. What other game besides Doom shows contempt for modern relationship building the same way? That’s a key part of why the new Doom is so refreshing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the expansions prove that Shub wasn’t Quake. Quake was just a code name for “the unknown enemy.”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My favorite thing about Doom is that, compared to other games, you're not the underdog. You're both the protagonist and the antagonist. You're the "Jason" or "Freddy Krueger" of Hell itself. You're a wild unchained beast that everyone and every thing is weary of at best and at worst down right frightened of. And when you go on a killing spree you can feel that Doomguy is having the time/ride of his life. He lives for this (as much as you can call it living.) The moment the last demon falls and Hell lies empty, the Doomdude will just collapse into ash because he was never a man, only a force of nature.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

toasterwarrior posted:

The demons going berserk trying to stop the UAC from reaching Doomguy's prison is one of the most awesomely understated bits of lore in the game.

That's this? I don't remember this part.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tollymain posted:

yould think the corruption of all worlds would be a thing the demons would want to find, yes?

I kind feel like the demons just want to be rid of/done with Doomguy more than anything. Then they can get back to their cackling invading madness. gently caress I love Doom.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there a Doom Goon discord?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is it about the original Doom sprites that make them looks like a much higher quality than any other sprite based FPS or RPG I've ever seen? Is that just me? No matter what distance you are from a Doom sprite you can make out every detail. Other game's sprites become blobs at distance and a collection of squares up close. What Makes Doom Eternal?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Former Human posted:

Adrian Carmack working with a Baron of Hell model

Jesus that hair.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

sneakyfrog posted:

still leagues better than those godawful braided ducktail thingies they did in the nineties

I’m an 80s/90s kid and don’t recall a duck tail braid thing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

sneakyfrog posted:

THAT MOTHERFUCKING THING

Yea..rat tails. I remember those. Never had one thankfully! I did have the three-striped tube socks up to my knee and shorts that go just below ball level.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

sneakyfrog posted:

and zubaz were a thing

I never knew what those were called. I never wore those. Wore a Cross-Colors jean-suit once though. Middle School in 1993 was awkward af.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:same:

My Overwatch game got way better after playing DOOM

I played Doom 2016 before jumping into Overwatch. A friend convinced me it was good fun and hectic action. I grabbed Soldier 69 since he’s the most “regular FPS” dude and absolutely tore poo poo up for a little while. Overwatch is slow motion compared to Doom. That’s not a knock against it, it’s a fun game and I enjoyed it. But yea if you wanna get better reflexes and timing, play Doom.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

dogstile posted:

Yeah, I agree. I actually liked the Souls series of games until everyone started screaming about how hard they were.

I've become some sort of gaming hipster, gently caress.

If you dislike things because other people like them a lot, you're still letting them control you. Break free!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sorry but if you died to skeletons over and over in souls when you could just go somewhere else then you're not very observant.

And I am sick of games being designed for the lowest common denominator of gamer observation.

The game goes out of its way to teach you "some fights are too hard for now, run away and come back later" with the asylum demon.

I tend to agree but in the case of Souls games it’s an unfair assumption. In the beginning you can go one of two ways in DS1, and until you have the mechanics down, both ways are hard. The only difference is that one way is way harder. But you’ll die either way so it won’t click until a lot later that “oh ok, I suppose this direction is a little easier.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zaphod42 posted:

If you think its not communicated at all watch Kay's blind Lets Play of DS1. She figures every mechanic out on her own with minimal struggle and zero outside help. Its very much communicated if you look for it. The game can't stop you from yourself other than to remove challenge and tell you straight up where to go AND lock you out of doing anything else anyways. That's lame.

I’ve seen multiple blind lets plays, some folks know to run or figure it out, some don’t. Just because you’re one of the ones who figured it out doesn’t mean it’s communicated in an obvious way. Its not too hard to figure out, but if you’re already expecting the bosses to be brick walls based on the games reputation, the demon doesn’t seem that out of the ordinary. Especially since he’s actually beatable.