Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I found this and thought I should share.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ki4Xc3ixtc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm partial to hellwalker

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Using a chainsaw as an instrument might be the most inspired musical choice since Tchaikovsky considered cannon percussion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GreatGreen posted:

RET5RD.

Personally I can’t wait for Bethesda to make the exact same mistakes of horrifically dull marketing and concentrating solely on post-release support for multiplayer nobody wants again.

I'm still amazed at how badly Bethesda manages to mismanage their advertising campaigns. I mean the wolfenstein 2 ad campaign was fun for pissing off alt-right fucknobs but it didn't represent the game's actual themes well at all.

They were loving lucky with DOOM '16 because the game sold on its gameplay alone and not its utter lack of marketing. So now rather than seeing that it was the game itself that made for good sales, Bethesda sees the low effort marketing as the key to success. It also cuts out chances for reviewers to influence people's purchasing decisions by barely giving them any time to formulate a review before the game is out and getting lapped up by uninformed people regardless of actual quality.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Well alright then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why make an aliens l4d game when space hulk exists? Hopefully the enhanced edition fixes the engine issues.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doesn't rebellion make the testicles sniping games? They're pretty fun, though I too would prefer id to make rage again and not them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Old Blood and New Order have phenomenal soundtracks. If DOOM's music is "the apocalypse is loving awesome" then Wolfenstein's music is "the apocalypse is coming, there's nothing you can do to stop it, and the future is hosed".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Co op doom Eternal should have DoomGirl and Doom Slayer teaming up with the Mormons to get the last of humanity into space like the novel adaptation.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 2, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He certainly has Amos's arms

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CJacobs posted:

I liked the idea of John falling in love with Cortana and Cortana gaining humanity/sentience because it could have been a real cool little scifi side plot thing that added some depth to both characters... but it was handled so hamfistedly that they pretty much squashed any chance of it being natural or well-written.

Halo always got away with having a pretty weak story and shallow characterization by having solid voice work and a sense of humor. I always felt that everything post-bungie involvement forgot the sense of fun that is inherent to the halo franchise and they doubled down on the drama without fixing any of the glaring plot issues that have plagued the games since day one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
MOOM obvs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

umalt posted:

MOOM has no head.

Meaning that DOOD can't even get a headshot off; so while MOOM is tanking in damage he can go up to DOOD and glory kill.

MOOM has a head, he's just got it pulled back so he can howl in victory

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the main reason why DOOM's tech wizardry ported so well to the Switch was because instead of the "low" graphics option being poo poo, the baseline for the game was already phenomenal looking and going up from low settings was less of a "bad-to-good" gradient and more of a "good-to-eye melting" gradient.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I finally watched the Phobos trailer and holy poo poo that slow walk through the control center while everyone gets the gently caress out of DoomGuy's way was incredible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Walrus posted:

SSX still did it better. Is there any game that had better music integration than SSX? I would totally be down with them adding additional layers of riffage as the Slayer pumps out more and more damage without taking a hit.

Portal 2 had layered music tracks that activated various harmonies with each room's musical theme depending on what actions you took. So jumping on the blue gel added a harmony track that pulsed and faded with your jumping arc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doom with Serious Sam enemy density

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now at first glance it may seem like DoomGuy actually reloads his double barrel shotgun. This is false. The animation that plays after two shots is not a reload animation, but a representation of the weappon's complex cartridge cycling system.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So why are people making doom 5 controversial, exactly?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I bought Doom. Thirty seconds in and I've killed three possessed while bake with just a Pistol. Now the slayer is punching consoles.

I like this. It's like New Colossus with auto pickups and without reloads or hitscan weapons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I like new Wolfenstein and Old Blood is the best FPS campaign I've played in the last decade as a raw shooter experience, but Doom is definitely better than TNC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I found the Super Shotgun in a secret a level before you regularly get it. I like it.

Also Samuel Hayden is the most exasperated technocrat I've seen in a long time. He picked the worst saviour ever to fix his problems.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The boomstick was a double barrel but he does use a lever action at the end when he defends housewares.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I made it to hell. And now the demons are panicking because I'm back and they remember the last time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have never had a death in this game that I felt was unfair. The game makes you feel powerful and able to kill an entire dimension, but you still respect even the lowest enemies because even a possessed can take off a huge chunk of health if you let them. You basically have to play good in order to survive, and any deaths are on your head rather than bad design. It's so goddamn refreshing to not get hosed over by bad ping, RNG, or poor hit detection or level design.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most cards nowadays can run games just fine. It's optimization on the engine that usually results in trouble, but Id Tech 6 is a beast. Wolfenstein 2 runs better than Old Blood and DOOM runs better than both.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got stuck in the first room with the Pinky demons. After several tries I made it through with a new strategy: shoot things even more while moving faster.

It worked surprisingly well.

Seriously though, a game that encourages you to be even more aggressive when you get stuck is awesome. You don't have to get gud, you just need to rip and tear faster.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

David D. Davidson posted:

https://youtu.be/E2hytfsXExM

Dear Bethesda

Fire your marketing team.

Love people who still love you after Fallout 76

Wow I think that trailer tops Gearbox's marketing for Homeworld Remastered as the most inappropriate ad music.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you want to do soundtrack dissonance THIS is how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still like the original doom 4 reveal trailer. It's not rip and tear but it is a pretty indulgent look at HD violence and the music matches.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

side_burned posted:

How is Deathwing? Does it have an value beyond getting to use some iconic 40k guns in an fps?

Honestly not that great. The singleplayer is poo poo but the Multiplayer can be a blast when it works right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67R-sfff9g

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope that the Plasma Rifle feels better in Eternal. It's certainly the most anemic feeling gun in DOOM2016. Even the pistol feels better when you get a charged shot off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Doomslayer the same as DoomGuy or just a reboot? I think it would be awesome if he's the same guy who just happened to wake up in a different reality where the UAC are doing the same poo poo he tried to stop in his own first iteration.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And yet Bethesda went all out with Wolfenstein 2 marketing. It was good marketing too, even if it did end up selling a different game than was we got.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hwurmp posted:

more like rap and tear lmao

Doom Slayer endlessly wrapping up presents so he can tear them open over and over.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which one does the raping?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zaphod42 posted:

Doom and The Expanse, why is ~space mormons~ such a thing?!

You're also forgetting Fallout where Mormonism is the only offshoot of Christianity to survive the apocalypse and they're one of the more well established communities in the Midwest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gangringo posted:

You're also forgetting Starship Troopers where Mormons start the big war in the first place.

The "Mormon Extremists" were a scapegoat by FNN to stoke xenophobia against religion and the arachnids. Get two birds stoned at once, as it were.

Which makes it funny in the third movie when the Christian cultists take over the Federation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mordja posted:

The what now

There's Starship Troopers, Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Aliens Knockoff, and Starship Troopers 3: The Mobile Infantry have Power Armor in this one.

Then there's the two CGI anime films directed by the guy who did Appleseed and the Resident Evil CGI movies

There's the unofficial Starship Troopers OVA from the 80s

And then there's Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, the show that can't decide between being an action show and a kids show so it tries to do both with varying degrees of success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It also doesn't feature the mod that had super shotguns that fired super shotguns so it is therefore bad.