Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
the visual did get some upgrade from complete poo poo to not complete poo poo but the gameplay has zero old-school to it, it's a completely normal modern shooter, we are luck if they manage to nail a slightly above average fps like the new wolfenstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

this is slightly better since it actually has rooms with monsters but holy poo poo is this slow as all hell, and it's like 5 monsters, dragon's dogma manages to have way more enemies in a given battle, have no qtes and the movement is way way faster so I guess dragon's dogma is way more of a old-school fps, sorry guys

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Have you heard of the "Tyson" style of Doom speedrunning? Some oldschool Doomers are into that, lots of punching demons in the face etc. I prefer shooting personally, just playing demon's advocate here. Since this is a shooter I'm guessing the ratio of shooting will be a lot higher than in the minute long trailer, they probably just wanna focus on the flashy stuff.

old doom's melee attacks are leaps and bounds better than a cutscene

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Black Baby Goku posted:

Well, I've been calling this game Retard 4

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I think while the game is being designed around being playable on a controller it has no hope of being a good doom game. I play other fpses designed for consoles like bulletstorm or borderlands but they have interesting extras, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

they should make like in revegence where time freezes and you can freely slice stuff but in retard 3 you punch the enemy at will, targeting specific parts of it's body that would in turn blow up

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

All 3D mapping features in the Doom 3 engine, like rooms over rooms, were achieved using many rows of small, grey floating platforms known as GADS or "Gravitational Anomaly Disks" that were covered up with clever texture work.

oh cool, I didn't know that because I've been expelled from GADS classes at videogame university :(

program666 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 19, 2016

program666
Aug 22, 2013

echronorian posted:

way to admit youre a loving scrub

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Just finished a quick playthrough of Doom 3 after finally getting it to run. Either I'm much better than I remember, or the game's a ton easier, ha.

Anyway, it's the regular edition and I had no mods, so there wasn't a duct taped flashlight or anything. I expected it to annoy me but I have to admit I've got a much greater appreciation for the game than I originally had now. A ton of audio and visual cues were directing my attention before I realised what was going on, the eyes of enemies glow enough for me to fight them in the dark, weapon flashes light up the place long enough to get bead on someone, etc. From a technical point of view it feels like someone really went all out on the little details and poured a ton more into it than the game is given credit for.

Man oh man though, that art direction is so bland and has aged terribly. I don't think I can remember a single environment outside of the hell sections.

I really liked the flashlight mechanic despite of not really liking the game itself that much.