Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm pumped for this, the combat looks great, looks like the atmosphere will be fun, here's hoping there's some memorable design and flow to the campaign. And there's always SnapMap, which is cool.

I'd love it if this has a few brief cutscenes, like the role the text screens between episodes had in Doom. If it has an ending as memorable as Doom's that'd be an accomplishment too.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I don't have a whole lot of faith that this will be particularly great but I'm really hoping I'm wrong about that.

The multiplayer is by a different developer than the campaign for the record. If the multi is good to me that'll be a bonus.

Zaphod42 posted:

Will this be a good game, or Duke Nukem Forever all over again? You be the judge.

Same thing. Also for the record, id software was acquired not folded, so we can still say this is from id software. It'd be like saying Kojima Productions' next game is by Sony otherwise.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

Id in 2009 was still Id. In 2014 though they were gone.

Its more like saying Konami's next game is ... non existent. And that's the case. Kojima left, and Konami may as well not make games anymore.

Carmack left, and Id may as well not exist anymore.

I know none of the founders are there, but we can still refer to the team called id software as id software right? Their logo is on it etc. And I had heard a lot of people from Doom 3 were still on this? Maybe in the credits there will even be some guy from the Quake 2 team or something.

I know it's not "id classic", but I'd want to know a bit more about specifically who's there and whatnot before I'd say they may as well not exist anymore. Was there a mass exodus or something? I hadn't heard about that happening.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

halwain posted:

I really wanted my old school doom experience interrupted every 5 seconds by a melee execution.

Have you heard of the "Tyson" style of Doom speedrunning? Some oldschool Doomers are into that, lots of punching demons in the face etc. I prefer shooting personally, just playing demon's advocate here. Since this is a shooter I'm guessing the ratio of shooting will be a lot higher than in the minute long trailer, they probably just wanna focus on the flashy stuff.

blackguy32 posted:

The real question is, are they going to give Doomguy his atrocious haircut from the Doom 2 cover?

We need that and the denim vest from the Playstation cover, yes!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

program666 posted:

old doom's melee attacks are leaps and bounds better than a cutscene

I agree. I played a lot of MGSV and stuff like choking somebody out probably takes longer than it does to saw a demon in half in Doom 4. A lot of games have us do things that take more time and are less entertaining than the Doom fatalities, I'm just guessing it won't be as overbearing as the teasers may imply.

You have to search drawers and tables for bullets and stuff in Bioshock (and Fallout is a garbage collector sim), you just get used to the time you're wasting on that stuff, at least here it's entertaining.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...generally FPS games still have those nowadays? Even the Call of Duty games have modes like what you're describing (or at least they did up to BLOPS 2, I kinda checked out after).

e: you couldn't use them in CoD matchmaking but you could in a friends-only room, I should specify.

Those are kind of a different beast with all the leveling up and unlocking weapons and sights etc though. Worst thing to happen to multiplayer in my book.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Johnny Joestar posted:

doomguy looking like samus is good, imo

It's just the angle, I assure you Doomguy's waist is not nearly as svelte. His diet is actually kind of scary.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Johnny Joestar posted:

i would prefer it if doomguy was a twink or a lady, imo

Luck be a Doomguy lady, tonight

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Broose posted:

When do I get to use my beta code that I got with my pre-purchase of Wolfenstein: TNO?

Also, when games become able to put as many enemies on screen in as open spaces as ultra-violence does in doom 1 and 2, then we shall have a real doom game. Also modern level design seems very different than it was back then. I don't think we will ever see another game like doom 1 and 2 ever again. Serious Sam was close, but that's still more corridor-y than doom was most of the time. It was just arena after arena, rather than doom's levels that seemed like small areas to explore and unlock. It seems like most shooters trying to grab the old doom feel fall into that same thing. Painkiller, Serious Sam, Hard Reset, etc.

I guess what I am saying is that I bet Doom 4 is probably going to be just more arena shooter with low enemy counts and will be totally forgettable.

There's definitely an art to FPS level design, feels like the genre could use more influence from the classics these days. Like you said, stuff like Painkiller and Serious Sam just doesn't have level design as interesting as the best Doom maps (plus Duke 3D and Quake maps I'd add). Levels that are fun to traverse, some open areas, some tighter areas, all elegantly leading back to where you need to go and giving you areas to explore etc.

That said, this game could have some of that, we haven't really seen much. At least I can tell from the glimpses we've seen that it has some interesting areas with multiple heights and areas spiraling around etc. Seems like it could be a step in the right direction compared to the straight linear path level design we see these days. Will have to wait and see.

As for tons and tons of monsters, I don't think that's always needed, or what makes Doom. If you can't make an encounter interesting with say 8 enemies, the monsters probably aren't very interesting. Even having four or five engage you at once could be hectic if the AI is good.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 14, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's not a cover shooter, there aren't little walls and sandbags to crouch behind every five feet, I don't see it. That said I respect the hell out of Cliffy B.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties 2

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

20 years later, finally the comic comes to life on our screens. I'm pumped.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Random note, I liked how in the SIlent Hill movie the characters stopped to look at a map of the building one time. Since that's what I did half the time in the game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

Doom 4 should be entertaining if its good or if it sucks, like Duke Nukem Forever, just to see where things ended up after all this development hell.

I don't feel comfortable about this kind of thing, have some courtesy. Can't we use Daikatana, I know it has some fans, but drat it Daikatana is the approved example damnit

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Broose posted:

Gonna be honest, I am just gay for the cacodemon design. That is the only thing I'm liking about this game.

The big ol' Baron of Hell who rips you in half is my boom-boom (is that the proper term?) in this so far. Caco is kawaii though no doubt about it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like the way this thread kinda just lets it all hang out, you know? We're not quite at the level of pre-Fallout 4 thread, but there's something about a game where we really haven't seen much that makes for a funny/magical thread.

In just a few months we'll be playing this thing, it's wild stuff folks

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Doom gonna have a titty wall to punch?

Duke would never punch a titty wall, he playfully slapped the titty wall. And quite frankly I doubt the genuineness of your inquiry.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

Bulletstorm had a quad barreled shotgun. Didn't feel quite as good as the SSG but it came kinda close.

Funny enough, I think that the chainsaw is the one place where the execution animations make sense in DOOM and I don't mind them there so much. In Doom 1/2 you just kinda awkwardly humped monsters with the chainsaw while they flailed around until they finally died. A quick animation serves the same function and looks flashier.

Shadow Warrior (97) had that cool rotating quad barrel shotgun, also GORE had a quad barrel shotgun. I appreciate a ridiculous shotgun. Doom 3 RoE's super shotgun is great.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Neo Rasa posted:

With chainsaw kills AND a four barreled shogtun I hope some smart person makes some custom content of The Legend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAz6ip1WK08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqD2jdKBdA8

Oh hell yeah, can't talk about quad-shotties without Phantasm. BOSS.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Xenomrph posted:

So if I want to play Final Doom and Master Levels Of Doom 2, am I better off doing the Steam/Dosbox version, or going with a source port?

I want as close to a vanilla old school Doom experience, no new bells and whistles like new lighting or jumping or new textures and poo poo. So I'd prefer to not have to grapple with a source port that added in a bunch of new poo poo, just so I can turn all of the new features off.

I recommend source ports, I love GZDoom myself. You can set various lighting settings, some of them looks a lot like the original software renderer. Do you like mouse aiming, looking up and down? I do, so the feel of GZDoom is the best for me.

You can also play GZDoom in software renderer, or just use ZDoom. Or there's a more oldschool-ish styed one called ChocolateDoom. So you could probably get what you're looking for in a source port, and they don't change the textures or anything (as long as you choose unfiltered textures in the options)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I also really dig Doom 3, though I'd love to see more 90s FPS design stuff that got lost along the way make a comeback too. Like levels with a few directions to explore, faster pace, etc.

Ultra-Violence levels where you have a room with 20 Pinky Demons or something, that's not what the series is about to me. Or at least, I'd rather see a bit more of that atmosphere and more creative monster placement.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Xenomrph posted:

Related to this, how were the modern Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior remakes? I own both on Steam but haven't had a chance to play them yet - my PC largely poo poo the bed and I haven't been able to rebuild it yet due to other expenses.

The Shadow Warrior remake is a bit more like Painkiller in style, big open arenas etc. The ROTT remake is okay, it's a bit oldschoolish in design though it has a bunch of crazy jumping puzzles with traps that can get a bit annoying. Neither one really captures 90s FPS design for me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I wonder what the limit on boxes and barrels is in SnapMap. I wanna make a maze and/or fort that'll be freakin' sweet.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alain Post posted:

Seems likely. I love me some Blops3.

Doom is gonna slay Blop3 because it's that drat good, just like Seth Rollins! Doom is the future of this business!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alain Post posted:

The best shooters of all time are Doom, Doom II, Blops2, and Blops3.

I love Doom and Doom 2, I thought Blops2 was average, have not played Blops3. You left out Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Half-Life 2, etc but my guess is level design is not one of your key thingies if you're listing Blops. Or maybe you're talking multiplayer mainly?

For multiplayer my ol' favs are Action Half-Life and Quake 2, for the record.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Overbite posted:

There's something about the marketing for this, with its focus on violence, and all the glory kills and slamming a corpses face into an eye scanner that makes Doom 4 come across as trying too hard to be cool and edgy but actually being kind of embarrassing, like its the Guy Fieri of first person shooters.

Who would find this edgy in 2016, especially in a game with cartoony demons? From my perspective you're misreading this, and the jedi are evil also. I think fun is the tone they're looking for, at least to fans of stuff like cheesy horror movies and heavy metal style etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Overbite posted:

i dunno, I'm not into ultra violence and gore like I was when I was a wee boy. I thought the new MK took it too far and I don't really like the glory kills.

I play Doom with smooth doom and that adds more blood and splats and stuff but that's old pixel violence. Folding an imp in half every few seconds isn't appealing to me and it feels like it was designed to appeal to kids who aren't old enough to buy the game on their own, or streamers who will see a demon ripped in half and instantly pull a stupid face like they were in a react video thumbnail.

The way I look at it, even something like The Division is trying harder to be "cool and edgy" than DOOM. Doom isn't taking itself as seriously. I'm not sure what it is in particular about larger than life fantasy violence you find incredibly immature, but I think it's in better taste than shooting looters in the head or whatever. (Just to play demon's advocate, I'm of course not offended by The Division, it's a decent game)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus when you're playing these recent hard as hell user wads, I could use any advantage I can get. Though I respect the pro keyboard only players out there.

I wonder if anybody will try to play new Doom keyboard only style. I'll bet it's doable, well maybe it would require tweaking or xpadder style binding wackiness if it has no look keys.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 16, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kazvall posted:

I think we can all agree that this game is going to be the biggest sponge worthy sultan of cock sauce we've ever seen.

I'd like to agree, so I just googled sultan of cock sauce to try and figure this out. First result is siracha sauce, so I guess you're saying the game will be hot and spicy? I can get behind that

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kazvall posted:

Absolute scrubs in here talking down on Heretic without evening mentioning doom2's city levels.

Suburbs is a fun little romp. Though I guess it's more of a suburb level than a city level.

As for Heretic, the combat is a little boring but I like playing it kind of speedrun style, just killing maybe half the enemies, keep on running.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Gzdoom with beautiful doom is probably my most played combination, I like Brutal Doom but it ain't the same game really. All beautiful doom does is add more animation frames to everything and changes the explosions to Duke Nukem 3d's.

edit: I should add this is before the author went all retarded and copied brutal doom. The later versions of beautiful doom added all that gore and dreck needlessly.

SmoothDoom is my jam. Don't forget the high quality sound effects wad too (http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml), I love the pretty seamless true to the style improvements like those.

Kibayasu posted:

Doom is a state of mind.

I've got a mind... to get into that state of mind... this May 13th!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Geight posted:

Sweet, I'm not gonna spend any money on this game in my lifetime but since I already have access to the beta I'll probably install it and play it so I can snark to my buddies about how much I don't like it.

Technically speaking, the multiplayer mode by an external team isn't the same thing as the single-player campaign by id software, so you're not trying the main part they've been working on. I'm also not sure how you already know you don't like it, since we haven't seen a whole lot of the campaign. Unless you're just talking MP.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm having something of a premonition about DOOM, it's gonna make us all it's bitch!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Doom is about going too far, rip and tear baby! I'm more hyped for the campaign killin' demons, but the MP does look fun too. And hopefully a SnapMap with 400 barrels.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The loadouts thing makes sense to me. As they described it, it's just so people don't start out wandering around with the weakest weapon. But there are still plenty of spawns around the map you'll want to get a feel for. Sounds good, I don't think it harms the arena shooter genre.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lovely Senorita posted:

why is there a sniper rifle in DOOM of all games

The multiplayer is Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 having a 2016 baby, so UT brought the sniper rifle gene. Shoot a rocket at that fool. In Doom the chaingun was a sniper rifle.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Retard 4 posted:

:fuckoff: Classic Gamer Bitches :fuckoff: I'll be playing with the 50 million other people buying this game at launch. Also the story in the single player portion is gonna be offff thheeee chain bi-OTCHES!

I'm a big fan of the ol' FPS games, I still play tons of Doom, Duke, and Quake. This looks like fun to me, more fun than the majority of recent multiplayer modes anyway. And this stream doesn't say anything on the SP game, which my huge guts are telling me is gonna be very sweet.

Its all personal taste, but I don't get why you keep saying it's a cover based shooter. And they removed the piss filter and put more color into everything since that first trailer. You're out of your element R4. Also where are you getting Gears of War, unless you're giving Cliffy B retroactive credit for chainsaws.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 30, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

This is seriously awkward. I know Rooster Teeth can do some cool stuff, I actually met many of the RvB crew long time back.

Constant shouting curses, "SHUT UP", etc.

And then really awkward cringey interviews and fake enthusiasm. Whooo sick taunt dude! No way is this a sponsored event!

Wearing a blazer over a Doom t-shirt is cool at least. I would've gotten Mega64 to host it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah unbelievable number of people praising the gently caress out of it on twitter. Probably astrotufing?

That's an elaborate explanation for people just liking some gameplay you aren't into.

Pomp posted:

No deathmatch, no duel, no mobility, loadouts, retard 4

I see people jumping off of tall platforms and stuff, looks like a lot more mobility than CoD multiplayer and whatnot to me. That said I will be mad if it doesn't have free-for-all DM, but fans assure us that it was listed in the leaked alpha build code. It would be a glaring omission for sure.

Mordja posted:

E: Also I didn't see anyone so much as jump, UT comparisons are invalid.

You weren't watching the same moments I was I guess.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Retard 4 posted:

You have no idea about mobility in CoD, which is now the defacto arena shooter

Last CoD multi I played was Ghosts, the jump in Doom is much better and the walk speed is faster compared to that one. Though this also having more verticality and more traditional UT/Quake arena style maps is also a factor. This looks fun to me, but hey, everybody is into different stuff.

As for jetpacks, you can become a Revenant.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

There's always the single-player which has tons of guns you can select with number keys baby, that oughta tickle their fancy!