Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Severed posted:

I'm with you. The exclusion of co-op in a game where the story isn't important doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially considering that co-op modes are becoming a standard feature in many games. The "horde" mode might be ok to a degree, but its not the same thing.

Also, replacing a proper SDK with "snapmap" is a poor decision. Sure, there might be more low to medium quality maps from the community due to the ease of the tool, but we'll also never get rich content created by indie developers or truly original maps not made from the x amount of templates that snapmap gives you. We'll also never get a true modded-in co-op mode like Doom 3.

I like the general concept of the game, but without co-op and an SDK, it doesn't really feel like a classic id title.

There's no SDK because the toolset they used to make the game, iD Studio, basically requires a full-blown render farm. SnapMap is a way of letting people on consumer hardware make custom content. And, if I remember correctly, it's actually pretty drat powerful despite what the name would suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Awesome Welles posted:

I just want some loving vanilla DM, TDM and CTF (with some relatively plain classes old-school Team Fortress style), why is this so hard, game developers :smith:

...generally FPS games still have those nowadays? Even the Call of Duty games have modes like what you're describing (or at least they did up to BLOPS 2, I kinda checked out after).

e: you couldn't use them in CoD matchmaking but you could in a friends-only room, I should specify.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"Long play-session MMO" makes me think we're getting Aliens Planetside, which might actually be rad as gently caress.