Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I love Quake 1/2/3, but John Romero is overrated. The only real dud from id after he left and before id turned into a Bethesda brand was Doom3, and it was a dud primarily because they were trying to work outside of their usual box of first person bullet hells and aim for legitimate horror cred rather than the tongue in cheek "heavy metal artwork" version of demons and hell that they presented in the past. Rage just felt like they finally were at the mercy of the kind of publisher-applied pressure that was felt around the rest of the industry but they long had been immune to.

It didn't help that the company itself was quite divided over going back to Doom. They fired one of their more recognized graphics guys (even if it was because he made a bunch of models of well endowed women through the 90s) just so that the defacto leadership, who also were two of the studio's principal art people, didn't look like they completely bowed to pressure.

Really it's amazing that id Software existed long enough for it's name to represent a corporate-controlled puppet of itself.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I got the PC beta just to see if my system will run it at all!

As an old Quake1/2 guy I kind of feel compelled to play this on PC, but I'm guessing 2013's mid-range card won't cut it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

It's not terrible, but it's an incredibly flawed game that diverges way too much from the original two Battlefront games(way too much CoD, not enough Battlefield in the mix)

So many people are saying "it's like COD" about Doom in this thread that putting that charge against Battlefront is almost meaningless without context.

Is it like COD just because there's loadouts? Because I can sort of more accept loadouts in a Star Wars game (there's like six different Imperial trooper suits in the original trilogy alone) than I can a sequel to the game where everybody spawned with a pistol every time.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm having a premonition. When Half-Life 3 finally starts showing some footage and snippets of gameplay in 2019, the thread will be the biggest storm of poop throwing ever seen in SA history.

If Half-Life 3 happened, it would have to make the same concessions to modern gaming that inspired this lovely thread. The core problem is that the people who were playing games rated 17+ in 1998 and still buying games now are too few in number to build a game completely around them. They're like the CBS viewer of video games: there's still a vocal amount of them, but they're older than the demographic everyone knows will buy stuff.

SA has a fair amount of old school FPS players still in it's ranks because we knew Lowtax as a frustrated PlanetQuake editor before he was fired for not doing enough unpaid work, and then followed him here. So there's probably more bitching and complaining here than on your typical 2000s-onwards blogs and boards.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

A.o.D. posted:

I said it elsewhere, but Quake Generations was a cool thing.

I remember some weird rear end mods (Future VS Fantasy, Headhunters, Jailbreak, QuakeRally) but I totally forgot about Generations and how great it was. Probably because the greatness only lasted about six days before id "foxed" the developer.

Equilibrium posted:

I've never gone so fast from 100 to 0 on a game as when I saw that zero effort Tracer clone. If you're going to make some kind of ~hero shooter~ knock off of Quake you could at least put loving Orbb in your trailer, I can already tell these guys have no idea what they're chasing.

Just about every woman Paul Steed modeled was either ugly or a sex doll, because you had to call your model of a nearly naked woman "crackwhore" to get any attention to it in those days.

The only exception was Crash, but she's Ms. Doom Marine and they seem to be trying to keep Doom out of it deliberately.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 13, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

They are really really convinced that the multiplayer is the best part of Doom aren't they. I would kill for a single player expansion. They just need to do a resurrection of evil on Doom 2016 and I'll be happy.

Given how well The Old Blood did, I have to imagine they're thinking something similar for Doom.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
[Withdrawn just in case I shouldn't have shared that]

Abbreviated version: one of the people who used to be involved in the Quake scene during the days of Blue's News and shugashack confirmed they're working on this. That alone doesn't guarantee you'll like it, but at least know somebody building this game has liked Quake for a long long time.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 13, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't see the point of Rage 2, since my understanding is the first had a worse reputation with people who actually bought it. Like it was one of the earlier "looks nice in videos, sucks to play" games, and it's open world jank had to fight against what id can do when developing a totally linear game.

I guess you can make money regardless of what you call it, but yuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Linguica posted:

There was never any good chance of a Ret5rd this year. Even for a sequel using an existing engine it's very rare for a studio to put out a new game in less than 3 years. See, e.g., Activision with its three-studio rotation for yearly Call of Duty titles.

If you're making a good engine, it adds a year to development time. ONE of the studios needs to be in charge of the game's technical toolset, so it makes sense to work on a three year cycle where one team can freshen and update the foundations for the other two.

Doom already has one of the best optimized engines of the modern era, a sequel would be a full-priced mission pack.