Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

This game looks like it could be ok if the guy didn't stop in his tracks every two seconds to punch something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I've been calling Black Baby Goku Retard 4

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I played one round of the beta and they really should've called this game retard 4

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

before i got the double ssg shot upgrade i got a pretty good rhythm going of ssg shot -> quickswap key -> gauss shot -> quickswap key -> ssg shot

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah i ended up using the precision bolt for quite some time because the game tricked me into thinking the tradeoff was going to be "high damage, one target" or "medium damage, multiple targets", not "high damage, one target" or "even higher damage, multiple targets, bigger beam"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

who's the person that liked the assault rifle scope over the missiles because i want to give that person a wedgie

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think the idea was the rotator would put out less damage per second than the turret, but allow you to remain mobile and never overheats, where the turret shits out way more damage per second but eats your movement speed and will stall if you dump it too long

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kamikaze Raider posted:

All this gun discussion, but I don't remember there being any other weapons in DO4M besides the super shotgun.

look at this idiot who never used the bfg

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i also used it extensively though i can't remember if i was playing on nightmare or ultraviolence

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches. Let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.

the correct answer was actually “why contain it? it’s cool”

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i admit i'm not the most up to date on my smash bros information but i remember it being a specific thing about snake being in smash bros if and only if there were no bullet firearms included. explosions/bombs were ok, and laser guns are ok, but no pistols or assault rifles or what have you. it'd be a really, really bad fit for doom marine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

:holymoley:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i want you to get sucked down a toilet

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

someone get a plunger the toilet's backed up

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

preorders are a suckers game but i can only offer a namaste to the gamers who go for it on doom eternal

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

going on to say "You're. Quite. Good. At. Turning. Me. On." was a little referency though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually looks just discreet enough that you could get away wearing it in normie world but i'm sure it costs like $1200

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there's one guy i followed on twitter probably 10 or more years ago because he was a poster here and the entirety of his contribution to the greater twitter discourse over the course of that decade has been reviewing video games based solely on whether or not they allow him to "invert x axis"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i guarantee if you do a twitter search for the hashtag #invertx he'll be the first and probably only result for it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also now you know how people feel when you say you refund games for not having invert y axis you psycho

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I will die on this hill stalactite.

E: Seriously though, it’s just flight sim brain. I was flying planes on the Amiga 5 years before Quake was a thing.

E2: Make that almost 10 years. gently caress I’m getting old.

i'm just kidding around to a certain extent, do whatever makes you comfortable. but also invert y is only appropriate if you're using a thumbstick/joystick and is an abomination under the eyes of god using a mouse

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 9, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Party Boat posted:

Wasn't there a trend a few years back where games would begin with someone asking you to look up and using your input as a cue to whether they should invert the y axis?

i know halo 2 did this back in the dark ages

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

Anything with a joystick should have inverted Y. But anything with a mouse should be normal Y. And with a controller it just depends on the game.

:hmmyes:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is it true the doom slayer is three smaller doomguys stacked in a praetor suit

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've seen that quote around but i've never been able to find a source so i'm not convinced it isn't like slapping a "-kurt cobain" on something

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if it’s real it’s cool as hell and i know terry was a videogame enthusiast but he didn’t seem like the type to endorse blowing things away with a shotgun as catharsis

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DatonKallandor posted:

I was about to mention the Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 3 ads as extremely good. The Bartholomew trailer for DS1 is still fantastic, and the Dark Souls 3 launch trailer was also great. They're a master class in how to do non-game music for a trailer and still have it work. They also bothered to actually sync the visuals to the music, which seems like too much of a bother for whoever threw that doom trailer together.

in between they had the dark souls 2 trailer set to... jethro tull?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

let's just fondly reminisce about how good the launch trailer for doom 2016 was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO90omga8D4

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why is the bethesda executive scottish

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Doom and The Expanse, why is ~space mormons~ such a thing?!

not based on any actual research but i'm going to guess at least with the doom books whatever starving writers they hired to ghostwrite the tie-in books for a videogame in the early/mid 90's were actual mormons and just decided to take the opportunity to inject their beliefs in there because editorial oversight was probably nonexistent

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

doomguy needs no mech

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why the celtics

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've changed my mind i'll take a giant mech over doomguy vore

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haven’t read most of the preceding posts but it was my understanding that berserk lasting for the level was a bug. the red tint fades, the powerup ending noise plays, and then your punches still hit like rockets. kind of like the holy poo poo face bug where due to the way it was coded it was “take 40 damage while also being healed”

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is ultra-nightmare identical difficulty wise to nightmare, just with the permadeath restriction?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i could see myself doing ultra-nightmare but only if it wasn't a 100% run, some of those weapon upgrade challenges make you have to play really, really stupidly

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

The "You Have One Health Kill Everything" runes were weirdly fun and helped you get into a mindset of always staying in motion and learning the sound cues for incoming projectiles and enemies

And then there's the "You Can Only Move For A Few Seconds After Killing An Enemy" that are the bane of my existence

not even so much the rune challenges, but the "kill a mancubus with the pistol!" and "chainsaw a cacodemon!" and "kill 3 enemies with a single frag grenade!" sort of stuff

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ok i guess i'm wrong it's super smart to do all those things on an ultra-nightmare run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, they throw them on a trajectory predicting where you're going to be if you don't switch directions, do they not do that on below nightmare difficulties? i thought it was just good ai programming