Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

This magazine I somehow still have a subscription to (I know, it's insane) has a huge Doom article in the latest issue. It's an interesting read and they make the game sound really good.

The one criticism they had after playing a pre-release version for a couple of hours is that the new engine has the same problem the Rage engine had, in that when you turn around quickly the textures start popping in. I'm not sure how much T6 still has to do with all the T5 mega-texture stuff and all but I remember that being really grating and stupid in Rage.

I hope they can either fix it until release or at least make it a lot less noticable than it was in Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

A.o.D. posted:

I'm old as gently caress, and can remember when Q2 came out. It was definitely and unironically called slow at the time. I still loved the gently caress out of it when I was playing it, though.

I remember that glorious day too and I've played "professionally" since the olden Quakeworld days. I loved and probably played Quake 2 the most out of them all, but it really was slow. Maybe not necessarily movement wise, what with the bunny hopping and strafe jumping and all, but the best example I can give anyone is compare rocket flying speeds from QW to Q2 to Q3. I sometimes wonder how I hit anything at all with Q2 rockets.