Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I assume it's already come up in this thread, but apparently if you use mission select to go back and replay levels to collect secrets and upgrades, then hit Restart Mission when you go back to whatever level you left off at, you lose whatever secrets and suit/gun upgrades you didn't find on the first run through each level. Das dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Backhand posted:

Verticality in games is one of those things that sounds great until you're actually living it.

Depends on the implementation and how it fits with the rest of the game, I think. I'm with you in games like Battlefield or COD where you just end up getting shot in the rear end over and over again because you can't possibly spot every rear end in a top hat hiding in one of the hundred windows on a map. On the other hand, Titanfall 2 features a lot of verticality and it owns.

I thought DOOM handled it really well overall, and the mantling/ledge grabbing system + double jump really played well with the whole unstoppable badass power fantasy-feel that makes the game work.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I've been playing Wolfenstein: The New Order and man, it really makes me appreciate how tight and no-bullshit Doom is. After the third or fourth round of having to root around the resistance HQ to find someone's lost doohickey in between levels I decided I'd rather be caving in demon skulls.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The parts where you had the option of trying to sneakily take out the commanders or go loud were cool, but it seemed like every other mission started with you having to stab a bunch of conveniently-facing-the-other-way Nazis until you get a gun.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Oh yeah, that's bullshit. I haven't found anything suggesting that's legit.

But the Doom bible outright states Doomguy is BJ's grandson. There isn't a question there. No idea why the hell Doomwiki tried to give him a stupid name like BJ THE THIRD.

The Doom...bible?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dewm

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Just lol at all these suggestions that aren't "Crank, but with demons"

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

sebmojo posted:

They are all women

Yeah but do they have frog dna

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress, I hate that if you run out of ammo on a gun, it can swap to the BFG as the next-up gun. Way too easy to fire off a bfg shot on accident and waste precious ammo.

It should never swap to BFG unless you manually choose it!

This just happened to me in the Slayer's Gate on Phobos/Mars Core, but I couldn't really be mad because it absolutely saved me from the pack of Hell Knights and Tyrants that were about to wreck my face and it completed the 40 BFG kills challenge.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Moola posted:

what exactly is fun about evading and leaving an obnoxious enemy till last?

I kind of enjoyed the challenge of having to fight through a normal encounter with the condition that I absolutely could not stop moving and had to keep one eye on the Marauder. It's like the one spot in ARC base where the purple goo actually kinda worked because it threw you another ball to juggle to up the challenge.

I also thought having to frantically search for the buff totems was tense and fun, so maybe my brain don't work right :shrug:

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 29, 2020

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

There's an encounter sort of like this in the Cultist Base master level too, and the trick is basically to flamethrower and grenade the fodder every time the cooldowns are up, which buys you time and gives you a steady supply of health and armor. Meathook > chainsaw on one is also a good way to get distance from the Marauder real quick.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

FWIW I'm doing a playthrough on the easiest difficulty right now for the Phobos skin and it's insanely fun to go maximum rip and tear at all times. If you're not the kind of person who enjoys banging your head against an encounter until it clicks you absolutely shouldn't feel bad about bumping the difficulty down.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Captain Jesus posted:

drat, I started playing it on Nightmare and the Exultia Hell visit really taught me I need to git gud. I keep dying in the fight that starts with the Arachnotron and the Revenant. I was doing mostly okay until that point but now I really suck.

I got stuck here for a bit on nightmare too, but I really think it forced me to get better.

The other thing that helped is I restarted so I could pick precision bolt, which I always skip, but is actually insanely useful on nightmare.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 31, 2020

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Volte posted:

I literally never even considered that someone would play this game with a controller, or remembered that it existed on consoles. :rip:

It's not so bad with an Elite controller because the paddles let you access a bunch of stuff without having to take your thumbs off the stick, but yeah - using a stock controller would be really, really rough. You have to momentarily stop either moving or aiming to access: dash, flame belch, chainsaw, weapon mod switch, grenade switch, melee or jump (Depending on if you use bumper jumper (definitely use bumper jumper)).

Also, the slowdown on the weapon wheel doesn't really feel slow enough to compensate for the fact that you can't hotkey guns like you can on PC.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 2, 2020

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I had the brilliant idea to try using Precision Bolt for popping weak points instead of the sticky grenade...

...without Chrono Strike. On Nightmare. In a master level.

It actually wasn't as bad as I thought and seems like it's good practice. You really don't realize how much you get used to that slow down, even if you're still essentially quick scoping with chrono strike active.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 12, 2020

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, everything is always available. You progress through the unlocks in a linear manner, so you can still unlock season 1 items while season 2,3 or whatever are still around.

The only ones that aren't available for free are dlc bundles.

I think you have to have played when the season in question was active to unlock the bundle though. I picked this up on PC after playing it on xbox at launch, and all the Twitch Prime bundles showed up and have been leveling up as I play, but I don't have any of the Season 1 stuff, like the Ember Slayer skin. I don't have any of the coffee shop themed stuff or Hack to the Future either.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah all that stuff showed up once I logged in on the PC version, just not the seasonal skins, or the ones tied to milestones that I had already unlocked on xbox. Had to do a quick extra lives mode run because it felt wrong not having the Phobos skin.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 15, 2020

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

This game is good. I partially regret doing Nightmare on my first go because now there's nothing to escalate to until more Master Levels come out!

There's always Extra Lives mode on Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare!

I'm giving ultra nightmare a shot right now; very, very slowly, by practicing each level on a regular save until I can do it without dying, then switching to my UN save. I'm only up to Cultist Base lol.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arenas that kick my rear end repeatedly: the Rocket Launcher Arena on Cultist Base, the death pit in Cultist Base and the final ice arena on Cultist Base. Then in Doom Hunter Base it's the first room that is an absolute bastard.

After that gauntlet the difficulty on Nightmare drops off significantly as you get your upgrade crystals and expanded arsenal and I think after that the toughest arena is probably the soul extraction chamber in Nekravol Part 2 where you have to take on an Archvile and a Marauder in quick succession.

Hard agree. It feels like Cultist Base exists to teach you the importance of locking down the mid tier and heavy demons right away instead of trying to play keep away. That rocket room feels like no big deal if you (successfully) go all out on the mancubi right our the gate, but if you try to plink at them while you run around, you're gonna have a bad time. Same thing with that cliff area where you run into the three whiplashes + shield zombies. You can get by without doing much quick- switching on the first two levels but every encounter in CB gets like 200% more difficult if you aren't constantly unloading all your guns as fast as possible into the most dangerous thing in the room.

Also now that I'm playing on PC I gave up chrono strike for Blood Fueled and man, it helps so much for making a quick escape and repositioning after a GK or chainsaw.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Balance wise it might just be hard to fit something into the balance of the current arsenal, I guess.

Yeah I honestly don't know what they could add in terms of new toys. I feel like juggling what's in the game currently is about as much as I can mentally handle.

They showed off like all of the least-used weapons and weapon mods though, so I wonder if they'll make them more relevant somehow instead of introducing new weapons.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

https://www.pcgamesn.com/doom-eternal/ancient-gods-dlc-interview

quote:

We need to ask: how many marauders are in the DLC?

HM: There’s a lot.

Oh no.

HM: Yes.

quote:

"We also have the Spirit, which like a dead summoner that’s been resurrected, and it possesses other demons and buffs them in really unique ways. It’s not just more damage and faster, it makes it so you can’t remove that demon’s weak points ever. And while they’re possessed they don’t falter. Faltering is kind of like the meta of Doom that I think the good players really recognise as super important – a falter gets an enemy to stop shooting at you. So when they don’t falter, it’s a huge difference because they’re just effectively non stop.

Take the Mancubus, for example. When he’s possessed, you can’t break his guns anymore. And it doesn’t matter what you shoot him with, he doesn’t even flinch. He’ll just keep shooting at you, which makes them really threatening, and he has more health and is pretty tough. When they’re possessed, they become extremely resistant to the Ballista because we know it’s a weapon that players love to use – we love to use it, too! But in this particular case, it’s a counter to their Ballista combos."

:getin:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Eh it's a mechanic that isn't specific to that enemy, and we don't know how many times it's gonna show up. There will probably be a few big oh poo poo moments when a Spirit shows up to really complicate an encounter (like the buff totems), and the rest of the time you can pop Mancubus guns to your heart's content as normal.

And then it'll show up a ton in the Master levels.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 29, 2020

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I really don't understand the "forcing you to use certain weapons" argument. 3 of the 7 main weapons can be used to destroy weakpoint, and you can still kill any demon that has one by just unloading on it the old fashioned way.

Genuinely curious what people would prefer instead.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 29, 2020

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

gently caress yessss

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Initially I only used frags for dumping into a crowd of zombies or whatever that I just set on fire, so I could move on and come back to collect the giant pile of armor later. But I noticed that speed runners use it a to to flinch dangerous enemies and burn them down or go in for a blood punch safely. It's really helpful in the first couple of levels.

Frag > Blood Punch > Sticky on an arachnotron and Frag > spam stickies/precision bolt on a Hell Knight are lifesavers before you get the SSG/Ballista combo.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

He summons the dog when his shield takes damage, so if you don't shoot at him until he flashes green, you shouldn't see one.

I say shouldn't, because splash damage and intercepted projectiles from other demons counts, so a lot of the time the dog comes out no matter what you do.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I really want to try horde mode, but I still have illusions of finishing Ultra Nightmare at some point and don't have a spare save slot for it.

Related, it's pretty dumb that you need to keep one completed game save around if you want to be able to go back to replay missions, use cheats, etc. Either make that stuff account-wide in some fashion or give us more save slots, imo.

Can I back up some of my existing saves and put them back when I'm done with horde mode?

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 26, 2020

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

smug jeebus posted:

e: also, I swear everytime I blow up the first gun on a mancubus, the one opposite from the side I hit with the grenade explodes. Is it just me?

Yes! This has driven me crazy since release as well.

Finished the DLC on UV and I'm a fan. Takes everything fun about the combat system and just does it...more. I get the complaints about enemies only being vulnerable to a specific thing, but to be honest I really like that so much of the new mechanics revolve around not letting you rely on the tricks that worked in the base game.

It would be boring if it was just a few hours of more Master level encounters on new maps. Instead, I'm excited to go back on nightmare and figure out the best way to deal with the new stuff, and to see what the streamers and speed runners do with these encounters.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's good, actually. It forces you to make different decisions about target priority. Do you try to burst down the possessed enemy to get it off the board, and risk having to do the ghost buster dance with all the other enemies breathing down your neck, or do you try to clear the room a bit first, even though that means kiting a souped up enemy that can't be staggered? It's the same Marauder mechanic on steroids.

Proxy rockets and frag grenades can buy you a lot of space to zap the ghost, and you can also break off the microwave beam and then resume zapping it if you need to quickly reposition.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The Pit in Cultist Base is more bullshit than the DLC boss fight, change my mind.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

hell no, there's specific moves you can do to clear the pit easy because of all the cueballs

Except when a cueball goes right through the arachnotron without detonating for some reason, or you sticky grenade a gargoyle and it runs up next to the cueball before it detonates and oh poo poo I'm getting flanked by mancubi.

At least there's cover in the boss fight.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Interesting how from the comments this DLC seems really divisive. Personally I absolutely loved almost every second of it. The level design just feels a lot tighter and more fun than before even though there's more ways for the environment to gently caress with you.

There are a bunch of moments that feel more like the classic Doom games than anything in 2016 or Eternal - the room full of specter Pinkies, the big crowd of shieldy bois, the hallway in level 1 where you get locked in and a Baron spawns behind you. I had a big ol smile on my face through most of all 3 levels, even when I was getting my teeth kicked in.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Going back to play the base game Master Levels is very funny after playing the DLC. I struggled through the Cultist Base one on Nightmare back at release, but doing it now is like "oh there's one baron in this encounter? How cute!"

That led me to believe I might actually be able to pull off a UN run now, but it turns out my stumbling block is still the 2nd and 3rd level, where you only have like three guns and none of your upgrades.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I can deal with the grenade switch button but it's mega bullshit that it doesn't work mid-glory kill.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The carcasses work the same way, don't they? Pretty sure they take 3 chainsaw fuel too, despite being a normal size enemy.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I remember for my Nightmare run of Doom 2016 the first level completely demolished me. In general, the first few levels felt way tougher then the mid to late parts.

You're just insanely resource starved on that first level.

That first gore nest where all you have is the stock combat shotgun is a real motherfucker.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I meant the first gore nest in 2016.

The heat blast is awesome on that first Slayer gate in Eternal, but I never have enough points available to be already working on the mastery by the time I get there. I usually max out the combat shotgun and then save the rest of my points for quick lock on the rocket launcher and SSG in Cultist Base.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

The absolute most useful Blood Punch can be is against cybermancubi because you can kill them via Meathook - Blood Punch - SSG Shot - Glory Kill combo.

If you use either type of grenade on them first you don't even need the glory kill.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ARC complex kicks so much rear end. The music whips and it just has a great flow from encounter to encounter. The master level for it rules too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Unless I'm missing something they're still ridiculously bullet spongy. Like yeah you can blow the turret off the arachnotron but it still takes a shitload of shooting to actually kill it afterwards.

Arachnotrons are kind of a terror before you have your dash tbh, but they really aren't that spongy. The auto shotgun modgun will kill the arachnotron in like 2 seconds of sustained fire after you pop it's turret. Or it takes like 3-4 sticky grenades. You get a grenade in the first level that can stagger it and Blood Punch on the second level which does likewise. The plasma gun fucks em up pretty good, especially the heat blast mod, and you get that in level 2. The lock on rockets launcher mod + a single sticy or p bolt shot puts them in glory kill range, which is also true of mancubi.

It's also pretty easy to go into any of the multi-arachnotron encounters in the first few levels with full chainsaw ammo and just delete one of them. The second one that spawns in that room after you get the grenade in the first level is also completely skippable - just run out the door.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 3, 2020