Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Timesplitters actually had some pretty complex maps for the functionality it's map editor gave you, although I would imagine that after playing a ton of them they would start to feel kind of samey. That being said, Tenchu 2 had a loving awesome map editor for a console game.

I don't know how I feel about this. I feel like if I wanted more doom action, I could simply just play Doom 1 or 2 and its many mods. I did like Doom 3 and Rage though, but those were a bit different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The real question is, are they going to give Doomguy his atrocious haircut from the Doom 2 cover?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Those are kind of a different beast with all the leveling up and unlocking weapons and sights etc though. Worst thing to happen to multiplayer in my book.

They were ok for Call of Duty 4 where some of the most solid weapons were unlocked off the bat. But I didn't really expect it to be in every loving game afterwards.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

Quake 3 on dreamcast was fun. Retard 4 will not be

This is true. Quake 3 on dream cast was more fun than it had any right to be.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Doom needs a shotgun that doesn't suck. And by that, I mean one that shoots further than a few feet with killing power.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

If anything I think the weapon design and enemy design put Doom over serious sam. After a while, the level design of doom starts to annoy me.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mordja posted:

I really loved Wolfenstein:TNO's auto shotguns; the way they blow off limbs, the fact that it upgrades into a flak cannon, the fact that you can dual wield them...

That said, while the game had a very satisfying arsenal, it was definitely lacking in variety and missed some of the more exotic weapons of its predecessors.

The New Order really suffered from the action being too split up and inconsistent. It is a problem that The Old Blood expansion rectified. It makes it really hard for me to replay the New Order because I can't just jump in. I have to deal with a bunch of other poo poo.

Zaphod42 posted:

Those are all good, but the SSG is the king. :colbert:

Also personally I would rank the Flak Cannon above the Redeemer as coolest UT weapon, but I'd have the redeemer slightly ahead of the Rocket Launcher. Redeemer was fun times. But man I love that Flak cannon, what a great weapon. The two alt fire modes were very distinct and useful in different situations, but they made sense coming from the same gun and both felt great to use.

I really like the enforcer? Whatever pistol it was that you start out with in UT99. It was very effective as a starting weapon.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So I have a question that I still can't figure out to this day. What the hell is that sound that the Doom guy makes every once in a while? It sounds sort of like a pig snorting.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Yes! I still don't know what the hell that is. I want to say it is monsters, but I believe I have heard even when nothing is around.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think the first Doom game I ever owned was the SNES version. That port was better than it had any right to be. Also, since the game took out the little story pieces at the end of the episodes, I was very confused when I reached the end of Episode 1.

Also, the cartridge was red, I remember thinking that was the coolest thing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think I only play brutal doom for the mechanics. The actual gore gets pretty dull.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It's a solid game. I wouldn't call it amazing since I think the enemy design leaves a lot to be desired as well as the map design. I would give it a 8 out of 10.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

EVIL Gibson posted:

There's a good tower defense map where you fight waves with friendly monsters you can summon. Plus buffs you can by including quad or everlasting damage increases. You can build walls turn on hazards and upgrade the friendly monsters.

Supports 1-4 players.

I think this is the onslaught map. It seems to be pretty popular but kind of dislike it because it's so bland.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Primetime posted:

Nobody's mad about reviewers having opinions. People are annoyed that reviewers are comparing it to games that are barely in the same genre and saying it's bad because it differs.

It's like saying Forza is bad because it doesn't have as many explosive crashes as burnout games. They aren't reviewing the game on its merits, they review it relative to call of duty or battlefield.

It's kind of silly to get mad about anything in reviews, period. Just ignore it, it doesn't harm your enjoyment of the game and there are plenty of reviews out there if you want a video game review to say what you want it to say.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ChristopherRobin posted:

I generally agree because I think people are smart and wont look at a single review as the be all end all opinion on the game, but I think some people are worried it will misrepresent the game to people who would otherwise really enjoy the game so that they decide to not get it.

Which to be honest also really isn't a big deal in the scheme of things. "Oh no! Someone might not play Doom in their lifetime!"

Even still, it's a silly thing to get upset about. Anybody who is willing to let one review dissuade them from spending money, wasn't someone who was really all that enthusiastic about purchasing the game to begin with.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'd really like a Survival mode where you fight as much as you can against escalating waves till you die, and have it be across several maps of poo poo and different powerups at junctures. I think instead of whatever garbagebin crap DLC they are planning, something like this where I could rip and tear forever would be the poo poo. The engine and performance overall is so loving fun it'd be a waste not to do something like this. No idea if Snapmap is capable of making this a reality, though I do hope the "2 guns" rule gets patched out of that.

I know I have played 1 survival mode map in snapmap. Also, it's not that lovely onslaught map. I don't know how long it goes on, but they are out there. Snapmap seems to be ok. I haven't messed with it in full, but I would put it about on par with Far Cry 4's editor. What would be pretty awesome is if they let you make a map cooperatively.

Ularg posted:

It should be fair game to disagree with a reviewer. No, threatening their job is going too far, don't do that. But it's not crazy to look at a review, maybe look at some gameplay footage he recorded and go "You have no loving idea what you are talking about, do you?"

Would you guys trust a review of an MGS game from Darksyde Phil. I'm not talking in the goony "Oh totally unironic, wink wink" way. I mean do you think Darksyde Phil has a good handle on what makes a game good and how the game he reviews stacks up? Absolutely not, he's just an absolute extreme. It's certainly possible for a reviewer to just completely miss all the tells and tutorials of a mechanic then go in the review to complain about the game not telling him properly. Or complain about a trope that has been used in the series for a long time. "Why are there chainsaws on mars? Why, with all these guns, would I ever want to use a chainsaw or my fists? Ugh this game sucks"

Honestly, though, I rather we try to dog on those rear end in a top hat players who review bomb for stupid reasons. I went to metacritic for some unknown reason to see if any reviewers were out. The user score was all over the place. There were several 0 point reviews of "One of these reviews are done by someone who's never reviewed a game before! HE'S A SHILL WORKING FOR BETHESDA!" and then follows 10-20 0-score reviews.

I would love an arena rush where they stitch together all the arenas in the game and sends you to them randomly to fight waves of demons. Basically boss rush but with the battlegrounds you fight in.

Honestly, I don't think Darksyde Phil does reviews. Not professional ones at least. I have seen him try to play through several games, but they are never condensed enough to function as a review. But I honestly thought the IGN review, that most people are complaining about wasn't that bad.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Hungry Bit posted:

Doom is probably good but I'm stuck playing on an Xbone without Live Gold. Is it $60 good for single player only or do I just play Brutal Doom until it drops to 30?

Honestly, just wait. The multiplayer sucks, but Snapmap is surprisingly decent. The Single player is solid but it isn't must play now amazing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I actually had the logic break on me with that harvest map. I think I ran through it too fast ND got to a room that blocks you off til you kill the monsters. Only no monsters spawned. Killed myself and tried to redo it but no monsters ever spawned. Eventually the game kicked me out and told me I lost connection with the server

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ambaire posted:

Soo I bought the game and started it up.. and where the gently caress are the options? You know, keymapping, resolution, graphics quality, etc. My primary monitor is 2560x1440, it started the game in 1920x1080 and I can't figure out how to change it. How did this game get 95% positive reviews without any loving options menus. And you can't skip the intro splash screen poo poo either.

Seriously. Where is the options menu?

I think I'm going to ask for a refund and just replay Doom 3 for the umpteenth time.

You have to start one of the modes to access options. It's not on the title screen because there are three different sections of the game with different code for each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

So the user created stuff isn't worth it in the long run I hear? I'm about to go rent or buy this and I'm still having trouble deciding which is a better idea. snap map sounds cool. I just don't want to be done with everything in a week.

It's been hit or miss for me. Some times you can have a meaningful experience, but a lot of times the maps are pure poo poo.