Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Since someone was asking about it a few days ago and I didn't see it get linked, here is the link to the Critical Role one shot for Eternal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX8I4M7MPo4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Is there something that can cause me to lose an Ultra Nightmare game other than dying? I beat the first level and exited, and after returning to the game a few days later, my Ultra Nightmare save was gone.

Can't exit the game until you die or beat it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

When Quake 1 launched, if you wanted to play online that was when you were relying on services like HEAT.NET, and nobody had a stable connection back then.

The Multiplayer was unmatched at the time, if the connection was decent, and 99.9% it wasn't.

gently caress me im trying to remember a time if I finished a quake or StarCraft match in it's entirety at all under 56kb

Hard to finish a SC match when you're beating the other guy so badly he hangs up or rapidly taps the connection to attempt to lag everything out. :smuggo:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Say what now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efvG8YeuFU4

Huh, cool

Stop attack > glory kills

That coin flip skill shot is a really cool idea.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
At least one of the guys playing tag with the Ultra Nightmare 100% speed run category swears by the bullet time rune and uses the heavy canon more than any other gun. Go nuts with it, you'll be fine. Your ability to get good does not rest on wether or not you use that rune.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Mission one where you end up with the sharks and enter the last section. I did that and then first time fighting the Baron I died. The checkpoint reload glitched and I didn't have a body (so camera ran across the ground) and couldn't use any weapons or equipment except the chainsaw.

Reloading checkpoint, restarting game, nothing fixed it. I had to just abandon the level and start over again.

That sucked.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Can't attack, so no. Chainsawing doesn't work either, it just shoves me back in the ground.

Now with video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ougqijyOGo4

Choppiness is due to Poltato PC and not actually present in the game.

I had that happen to me as well. When I reloaded after exiting I could chainsaw mobs but nothing else worked. I had to restart the mission entirely and because I was so rusty that was a huge time investment lost. :(

That was the first bug I encountered in 2016, Eternal, and the DLC.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Freeze grenade a bunched up group of trash, set em on fire, blood punch and collect your winnings quick is a good combo when you get under lots of pressure.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Does that actually count as a secret in terms of level completion?

No.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

tuo posted:

I googled like crazy once I saw that. Am I right that it's 3d printed? Or is someone actually selling that?

Also: for the next Doom Eternal DLC, I'd really like a gun that shoots Marauders as ammo.

Monkey Paw curls a finger and the gun is only found equipped on Marauders.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Section Z posted:

They literally hide some of the few power ups in the main game inside of destructible walls at the back end of an encounter arena.

So I'm imagining that someday, somebody will discover a couple power ups placed deliberately out of bounds in the DLC.

They were joking about putting secret messages or hidden unskippable cutscene triggers in the sky boxes for speed runners and anyone else who manages to get out of bounds for the DLC, so anything is possible.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah source your quotes buddy

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They did focus on making a good shooter. And they did make a good shooter. There is a correct way and a wrong way to play this shooter though and the game will not help you survive when you play the wrong way.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Up until the rocket post I thought you were just bad or not getting it but now your takes are so bad it has to be a troll.

I second the post a video of you playing because I simply cannot fathom what you are doing that is leading you to these hot takes.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I feel like if you saw the mechanics in full motion you'd get the potential for play in what Id calls The Fun Zone.

I'd say watch a level or two that you've already completed from this video. You don't need to copy it exactly but pick one thing from it that you like that you aren't doing right now and try it out.

The AI is literally coded to help you feel more like a badass when playing in tye prescribed fashion it wants you to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01nJjaKlJhU

e: also it is fine if you watch that and decide nah not for me, but you'll at least know what you are walking away from.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 5, 2020

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The fastest and easiest improvement for me was remembering that in this game they want you to quick scope and getting back into the habit of doing it again.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

It's not a cover shooter, if I was going to compare it to anything it would actually be left 4 dead, in that the enemies all basically blur together into a sort of fluid mass and you spend most of your time sort of funneling them into an area that you can shoot them easily. Except you move around all the time rather than hiding in a corner because you are actually faster than the enemies, rather than the opposite in l4d, it's a more proactive form of the same enemy management problem, as a significant number of the enemies are melee focused and all of them benefit from positioning them so that they are all in a confined firing line and close together, both so you can hit them with spread attacks and so that you know where they all are. The easiest way to do this is to constantly move away from them as it causes them to chase after you and form that sort of more manageable blob.

This actually ties into a... complaint I guess about the little... buff totem thingies, I forget what they're called, the things you have to find and punch. They're a weird thing to add because they don't really seem to change how you play the game, you still just run around a lot but you just ignore all the enemies until you find the thing to punch, but that takes maybe 30 seconds tops and doesn't really add much of a challenge or anything because it doesn't seem to make the enemies any more capable of catching you, and it's what the game encourages you to do anyway so it seems like a strange addition for how infrequently they're used. Just every so often you have a small extra runaround section before you start shooting, it's weird.

I initially thought that perhaps it was going to be a thing that happened in particularly complex arenas or something to get you to basically become more familiar with them, or perhaps that they would be hidden, but neither of those seems to be particularly true, so as a mechanic they seem a little baffling as to the purpose of their inclusion.

Every time you give an opinion that is more than one or two sentences long I am more and more baffled at how someone can arrive at that conclusion, much less how someone can hold all those opinions at once.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
"I have no interest in your work but I'd :filez: a copy of it," is a hell of thing to say to a dev's face.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The devs found that the most fun way to engage 2016 was what they eventually dubbed the "Fun Zone" which was the weapon and resource dance. The game did not really do anything to incentivize this and you could just as well cheese the whole game with the SSG or Gauss. So Eternal was an evolution on 2016 specifically meant to funnel players into the Fun Zone by mechanically both incentivizing and rewarding players for adopting that play style.

You'll see in interviews with Hugo where he is explaining all this and and pitching the concept that the game will punish poor execution because they want the players to have an earned sense of being a Bad rear end™ stunting on demons in arenas. He also caveats that they are leaving in the ability to mono-weapon the game on easier difficulties if that is what you really want to do as an escape valve but you'll get the most out of the game by engaging it on its terms. Basically, there is a correct way to play DooM Eternal and the devs tried to do everything they could to get the player to play that way without rendering the game completely unplayable if the player chose not to.

This caused a lot of initial backlash from people who wanted to just repeat 2016 and play the entire game with one gun and one weapon mod and not have to think about encounters like Combat Chess (another design keystone the Id team reference). And in fact that kind of criticism is almost all of the criticism that gets brought up by people who did not like the game in this thread.

So then you come in and say that the game is not good for basically leaving that escape valve in and making you play that way because you did not want to learn the game the way they intended you to do it.

And like Cream-of-Plenty, I'm not wanting to flame or chase you off or anything, but I just don't understand the mindset of you present of saying it is the game's fault for letting you still complete the game while play far below sub-optimally. Partly because that would seem to imply that they should have leaned harder into punishing you for not playing optimally --one of the very things you are criticizing the game for.

I think Cream is right in that you truly just don't understand the concept what the franchise and Eternal in particular is trying to do, or at least engage with it, and it was more fluke than anything that you ended up liking 2016. And of course that is fine, like what you like and you don't have to like DooM but its just.... :psyduck:.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
That particular encounter has always been weird. I think it was Mayo who even called it out specifically in his review.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
During ch2 of the game maker playthrough Hugo hinted at an idea your familiar -the green spirit wolf -taking an active combat role mechanically in some fashion.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Hugo has confirmed what he is calling Race Car HUD is coming to the game. Fully customizable icon set around your reticule to track all your cooldowns. They talk details at the start of ch4 of Hugo's playthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxUDh_KG13M

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It can be frozen

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Agreed. Or hell, any fight. And custom fights too, like if it was like a Holodeck but for ripping and tearing. Want to see how you'd do against 5 cyberdemons and 3 marauders? Just enter the settings in the Ripatorium console and go through the door.

Campaign access to Arcade Mode, basically.

Also next DLC will have fixed meat hook mount points sprinkled in the environment to use so you don't have to rely on a Cacodemon being in the right spot to do A Thing.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
DLC2 will have invisible marauders. It's still undetermined if their eyes will be visible.

They will also be counted as fodder enemies during the final boss fight.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

do you guys not play video games while immersed in your pisstank?

Piss Christ was just a gamer.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I don't know what the specific DLC 1 changes are going to be but Hugo was talking about the idea during one of the lets play episodes. The general thrust of his thinking was retuning the incidental encounters (the fights between arenas) to back off the pressure in some places to be more in line with their approach to DLC 2. I forget the reasoning/context and in which episode he was talking about it, but that's probably what you should be expecting. It might have been the episode where he switched to nightmare and had more time to go off the cuff when he stalled at an arena for like half an hour.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

tuo posted:

What I especially disliked about his behaviour was that he threw the iD software sound designer publicly under the bus (to the point that he received death threats)...the very same guy he applauded before for creating an athmosphere where creative work is possible and "failure" isn't punished, but instead analyzed and used to create a better product...basically doing exactly what he said does not happen at iD. Thus forcing Mike Straton to spill all the internal beans to explain why the soundtrack is not as good as it could be (working from the compressed game files etc.)

Such a waste of a cool and good cooperation :/

It was especially frustrating to see it play out that way when we also learned just how far iD was extending help for Mick by delaying the OST for as long as they could legally push it before they could get in trouble for not releasing it as part of the launch bundle. They did everything possible to preserve the relationship.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It is a real testament to the engine team at Id that RTX has such, I'm not sure what word I want to use so I'll just go with minimal, impact on the visuals over all. For sure it looks prettier and all, I'm not trying to say otherwise, but its just crazy how much wizardry they were able to squeeze out of that code before.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZpj1HIJjFs

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Hasturtium posted:

Yes, but that doesn't mean it was a satisfying decision or thematically appropriate given the game universe prior to Eternal. I could go into more detail but it'd hit spoiler territory hard and stay there for at least a solid paragraph. Bottom line: didn't like it, didn't feel like it fit, felt derivative and underwhelming instead of like descending into a hive of definitive villainy.

Gordon's also been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and id was apparently subjecting him to significant deadline pressure throughout the development of the title. Exhaustion + bipolar disorder goes bad places. id fed the bear and burned the bridge, music in the DLC suffered for it, and I'm measurably less interested in their future work if Mick isn't involved.

They gave him multiple extensions and a lot of slack but they were had to release the OST as part of their pre-order bonus to avoid legal complications and at that point he only turned in the more ambient stuff.

It sucks all around and honestly I think if they didn't have to ship the OST as part of the pre-order they'd have kept letting Gordon delay for a hell of a lot longer until it was ready.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Making a statement isn't by itself a show of intent and I don't think Mick Gordon wanted to sic a hate mob onto Mossholder. Saying it's not how he'd mix the tracks isn't an endorsement to attack the guy who did end up finishing the album.

It didn't help matters but it's not like Mick was going out on Twitter yelling and being a diva. He was asked by people and he answered. He's very active engaging with his fans on Twitter and YouTube so it probably wasn't out of the ordinary for him.

The whole thing is a shitshow but the need to make one person out to be clearly in the wrong and then to amplify their fault by suggesting that there was malicious intent behind everything they said and did doesn't help anyone. Mick missed deadlines, has a habit of being a perfectionist, said he wouldn't have mixed tracks the way Mossholder did and then ended by saying he probably won't work with iD again and burned a bridge. That's enough to judge him on without also suggesting he incited a Twitter mob.

The problem wasn't him egging it on but in his absolute silence on correcting the record when people took what little he did say and ran with it. Or in not telling people to knock that poo poo off when it started.

Its a drat shame and ruined a very productive and good partnership but he only has himself to blame.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
As fark as Quake goes, Trent Reznor is still scoring stuff. Just putting that out in the universe.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Couldn't find a clear answer to this on :google:, is character progress preserved between main game and the DLCs? I just started the final stretch of missions and I'm wondering if I need to stop and grind out any remaining weapon masteries or if that progress will just pick up when I start DLC1.

DLCs start with everything unlocked and mastered.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Perpetually getting the feeling you get when you realize an Archvile spawned 30 seconds ago.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Shot in the dark but the controller profile as an input device at the OS level might be causing whatever is happening to be happening. Try disabling the device in the OS directly and see if that helps.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I think comparing Eternal to DMC isn't unfair, but I feel like Eternal and DMC are pulling from the same gameplay ideas (combat chess) rather than Eternal mimicking DMC. This might just be because the last DMC game I played was DMC1 and 2 when they first came out.

But to my mind 2016 basically presented you with a no consequences combat chess. As such if you just wanted to run the game at speed using nothing but the SSG you could with no friction from the gameplay loop, even though the game itself was built with the idea that you'd not. Eternal refines the gameplay loop introduced in 2016, but also adds friction/pain points/consequences for going against the grain. This absolutely doesn't mean you can't still SSG/rocket launcher your way through the game, especially at lower difficulties, but more so that comes after figuring out how to work the new gameplay loop so you can more creatively stunt on it as opposed to just ignoring it like you could in 2016.

Obviously some people bounced hard off that funneling you into the gameplay loop first before you gain enough mastery to choose to ignore it you want. I personally didn't mind it and had a blast with the game. Both games in new DooM are basically homages and love letters to all the cheesy 80s and early 90s source materials that OG DooM drew its own inspiration from. So if you are open to leaning into that kind of camp with them you'll probably like or at least not hate Eternal's story. Again, some people seriously bounced off of it, and that's fine, but since I was going into it expecting an over the top 80s cartoon metal music video of a story arc, I enjoyed it as well.

So basically Eternal tries to be nothing other than what it is and tries to funnel you into engaging it in the way it was intended to be engaged. If you end up enjoying the ideas/mechanics they are iterating on you'll love Eternal, but if not you'll likely bounce off it. Depending on how you liked 2016 you have a good chance of liking 2016.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Man I still sometimes think about what a shame it was how him and Id parted ways.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
On easier difficulties you can ssg the entire game without much brain sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Who the gently caress do you think you are, actually playing and enjoying a game YOUR way?

think of the meta you selfish bastard

More what the gently caress are these reasonable opinions doing in our thread.