Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is ram usage bad
yes
no (correct option, tick this one)
maybe
View Results

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if jre is using your ram them its bad because java ... is poo poo but if its anything else then it is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

Chrome may be the best browser around, but it eats up your PC’s RAM like turkey on Thanksgiving. If you’ve ever looked at your task manager, you’ve probably flipped out at the sheer number of Chrome processes and the memory they hog. Here’s why Chrome uses so much RAM, and how to curb its gluttony.

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
java needs a big heap, it likes to stretch its legs out

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Captain Foo posted:

low chicken prices > low ram usage

gas prices are really low right now

the station I usually fill up at had a sign twirler outside today & was very busy

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
iirc lots of chome's read only pages are shared between all the helper processes so the actual physical ram it's using is no where near what you'd see if you just sum up the individual working sets

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if jre is using your ram them its bad because java memory management is poo poo but if its anything else then it is good

what the gently caress are you doing with jre installed on your computer in 2016. minecraft doesn't need it anymore

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Space-Pope posted:

what the gently caress are you doing with jre installed on your computer in 2016. minecraft doesn't need it anymore

personally, i have it for java software development

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I heard about this guy who did hosed up things to animals and then I thought about how good it is that they caught him so he can be raped in jail.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Squeezy Farm posted:

I heard about this guy who did hosed up things to animals and then I thought about how good it is that they caught him so he can be raped in jail.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Space-Pope posted:

you have no idea how much i wish eclipse.app wasn't in my computer

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Space-Pope posted:

its on our shittiest servers that run java software

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ASK ME about my lovely software vendor who tried to set XMS = XMX = PermGen = MaxPermGen

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i would rather not :stonkhat:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what if u put a ramjet on the computer

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

my work decided that using idle desktops as a grid was a good idea so my lovely 4Gb work machine will grind to a halt because there's a 1.5Gb process running spreadsheet calcs for some stupid fucker somewhere in the building thats trying to goalseek function the answer to the quesiton "how do i do my job"

so i disabled the service and got a pissy email saying that i was "abusing my admin rights" lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dr. Honked posted:

the point is, ladies and gentleman, that ram -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

ram is right.

ram works.

ram clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

ram, in all of its forms -- ram for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

and ram -- you mark my words -- will not only save yospos, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

how is this not quoted more?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

my work decided that using idle desktops as a grid was a good idea so my lovely 4Gb work machine will grind to a halt because there's a 1.5Gb process running spreadsheet calcs for some stupid fucker somewhere in the building thats trying to goalseek function the answer to the quesiton "how do i do my job"

so i disabled the service and got a pissy email saying that i was "abusing my admin rights" lol

thats a great idea except your work machines are poses

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Dr. Honked posted:

is this the 90s

hold on a second i need to edit himem.sys

That's a binary file. You edit config.sys which calls himem.sys

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
look at these fools not optimally configuring their XMS

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think low ram usage is good but I also think having a lot of unused ram is also a good thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

look at these fools not optimally configuring their XMS

emm386 bithc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I was a kid our Mac had 24mb of RAM and it was like :eyepop: and I used 8 megs to make a ram disk and my god escape velocity loaded in like 2 seconds

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm using less than 50% of my ram

I should probably look into a ramdisk thing, yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

more like ram dick lmfao

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
ive had my computer for ages what is a good amount of ram to have in a computer these days

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

suffix posted:

ive had my computer for ages what is a good amount of ram to have in a computer these days

whatever i have its pretty good you should have that

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

suffix posted:

just don't get the wrong kind of ram

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

suffix posted:

all of the rams

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

suffix posted:

this is how much ram you need i looked it up for you on my computer

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
amount of time thinking about "what's using ram?" = 0

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

cant spell pram without ram

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

BONGHITZ posted:

cant spell pram

:smith:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sniep posted:

this is how much ram you need i looked it up for you on my computer

same, op

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

cant spell pram without ram

lol :rip:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
wish all my computers had ECC RAM

quash those bits who step out of line

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's the actual use case for ecc RAM? Like, ram errors clearly must be either super uncommon or easily rectified, cause the average user doesn't ever see "poo poo is hosed up cause of RAM bit flips"

Is it just like, dedicated hardware that's faster than whatever the alternative way of verifying RAM contents is?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

What's the actual use case for ecc RAM? Like, ram errors clearly must be either super uncommon or easily rectified, cause the average user doesn't ever see "poo poo is hosed up cause of RAM bit flips"

Is it just like, dedicated hardware that's faster than whatever the alternative way of verifying RAM contents is?

i thought ECC ram was slower but just way more resilient to errors so you would like ~ never bluscreen ~ on your production poo poo or w/e, where non-ECC ram suffers from normal issues of bad ram on occasion

like it takes that out of the equation for you at the expense of cost and slight speed drop, idk tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bsd went into this in depth in that wanna build a system thread

apparently its one cycle slower to get going but then overall slightly faster throughput

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
how does it get slightly faster? i thought it was slower overall, i mean, it's like sanity checking the poo poo so that takes cycles?

• Locked thread