Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Its probably worth saying why it's stupid as the guy's clearly not seeing it. Putting a price on replaying the mission changes how the whole experience feels to every player. By putting a financial penalty on failure, the devs are incentivised to make the target as hard as possible to get more people failing it, and whether that actually happens or not, players are definitely going to feel that it might be why they just failed an ET. Giving any retries also makes any individual attempt less special, as it rips up the whole 1 chance aspect of risk that makes trying for the tricky kills on these targets so impressive and tempting.

If you want to make a system like that work you would want to look at Let it Die which has an arcade model, but is firstly an f2p game and has ingame currency ways of paying for retries on top of real money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

LeJackal posted:

Needtoknowmore.gif

Had to just look this one up myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucmttcabPks

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Pretty cool nod to Giantbomb's Hitsmas video in the latest featured contracts

https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/823987744749785089?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Lobok posted:

Asking a question even though I'm afraid of the answer. To do a SASO run in Hokkaido I'm going to have to use the outsides of the buildings pretty much all the time, right? If doors need disguises to open and I can't use disguises then I can't take the direct route anywhere.

Also, I thought killing Soders was going to be like the basement exit in Colorado, but lol at all the different ways you can kill him.

grabbing the RFID chip in the morgue makes the SASO/ninja runs much easier. only 1-2 disposible scramblers required to get to it from any start location.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU3E2hDF17U

Landslide trailer is out, not sure if this is news.

E: guess not. New Elusive target is a very easy silent assassin - the bathroom I usually lure Novikov into is very handy once again

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

double nine posted:

how the actual hell do you do mallory misfortune 5? I'm starting to despise colorado.

I cleared out the route from the scarecrow to the west gate and all the guys around the perimieter to allow myself to take the scarecrow outfit to the east gate side, brought the axe and (silenced agency pickup) SMG to that gate, then after getting the quadbike keys made my move to get in an out as fast as possible and minimise time around the stalker. Probably the toughest escalation level 5 I've managed so far.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Just did all the Himmapan Horror challenges and Tuppence a Wish. Hooray useless unlockables :toot:

Congrats, but I'd disagree about useless - Gold coins are probably my most used unlock, and having double lethal syringe access is actually really useful at times.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 28, 2017

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Basically just make a hard save at the fountain with a pocket full of spare change and brute force it til it pops.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

Pro mode looks cool but gently caress off with locking it behind having level 20 mastery. I want a better challenge but I also don't want to waste my time relearning an entire level over again just so I can play it in a slightly better mode. No way I'm gonna spend how many more hours trying to find where they moved every key or remote or screwdriver for a reskinned item. :destiny:

Level 20 mastery is so easy to get though, you need like a half dozen playthroughs of a mission total, and with sensible hard saving you can knock out challenges very quickly.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

WindyMan posted:

I think Marrakesh is a good example of the balance IO has to make between a map that's good for a story mission and a map that's good for endless replayability.

I think it's safe to speculate that the location was created with the plan of adding the bonus mission later. The market area went completely unused in the main mission, but is the central focus in House Built on Sand and the first Marrakesh elusive target. You can make this argument with Sapienza, too. The focus of the main mission is the mansion and the lab; the town hall, back streets, and much of the church/graveyard are completely unnecessary for the most part.

Individually, these missions don't use the whole map very well. But the game uses the whole map very well over a series of missions, and Marrakesh has a lot more potential than than the levels designed around story missions like Colorado or Hokkaido. I'd rank Marrakesh 2nd or 3rd best if we're talking how good map potential is, as opposed to it being last on many generic "what maps are the best" lists. House Built on Sand is WAAAAAAY better than The Icon, and that's got to count for something in Marrakesh's favor.

Sapienza does it better because the areas of the town, lab and mansion are far more densely connected to one another. For Marrakesh the school has 2 ways in (walk in with a disguise, pipe down from the headmaster's rooftop) and doesn't connect to the consulate or anywhere else directly. The consulate has the tunnel and the front door, and that's it, again, highly separate from the rest of the map. Compare to the biolab, where you can go through one of three different keycard entrances in the mansion, walk through from the beach or ruins or blast your way in through the dodgy wall.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

As someone who just started playing, why are fire extinguishers OP?

Portable source of accident kills that don't lose you silent assassin rating. Just pop it down by a target, hide round a corner and shoot it, or set one up with a breach charge on a target's route and pop it when they go past. Just did the Seeger Beguilement today and I have no idea how I'd go about it without using fire extinguishers

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Cocksmith posted:

are all elusive targets as boring as the blackmailer?

No, this one seems to be intentionally designed as an easy to find and kill ET to coincide with the physical disc release. Other ones have been much harder to find or eliminate.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Meet Yuki as the Director. Take her out to the cable car. Yap a bit. When she turns around, instead of pushing her off the balcony, bean her with a soda can. Walk away. After a minute or two the guards will discover her unconscious body, wake her up, and she'll immediately get put in the trolley. You know what to do.

Or just turn around and shoot all her bodyguards as the director after the conversation, and she'll make a break straight for the cable car alone. for drowning I poisoned the water bottle in her room and she went for the toilet there

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 7, 2017

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

AdmiralViscen posted:

Thanks for the tips, but I tried shooting guns and hitting guards and she would never go into the car. I wound up just doing the Ovderkill one after looking up what the redacted challenges required.

Still don't get what's going on with the 4K. If I back out of the game before it loads my save (where HDR is disabled) it puts the dim effect on the PS4 dash too.

It's kind of annoying that they didn't fix the issue where you don't get a trophy if you complete a challenge that gives you rank 20 but don't finish the mission properly. The new patch finally unlocked my mastery 20 trophies for past levels, which was a welcome surprise, but sure enough I mastered Hokkaido and I got nothing.

One thing that might mess with it is if you're directly blocking her direct path to the cable car she won't run past you to get to it. Try killing her guards in front of her then backing away to the hospital entrance to let her make a break for it. Shoot her in the leg once for good measure if that doesn't work.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

nexus6 posted:

Is there a tried and tested way of getting Caruso to take his plane? I shot him in the leg with the Sieger and he just ran downstairs.

After a while he figured it was OK to go back to the garden but I shot him again and unintentionally killed him.

following the spooking him opprtunity with his dead mother will get him to run for the plane once he wakes back up again, should give you plenty of time to get where you need to be.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

double nine posted:

god freaking.... I hate the headmaster revenge challenge. There's no way to see if it triggered and I'm fuzzy on the kill conditions. Does it count if you kill the general with the explosive phone? It's either that or I wasn't close enough to count. Or I skipped a wall drawing somewhere.

I think ordering might matter so it's best to go and look at the drawings in army uniform before you switch to headmaster outfit and kill the general.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Completed the elusive target. The kill itself was easy to do, but got spotted opening the safe (blew up a fire extinguisher outside the room but probably was a little too hasty to open the safe), so no SA rating for me. If i'd brought The Big One with me instead of a lethal syringe i didn't end up needing maybe I'd have had better luck with getting seen. This seems to be an especially hard one, so I don't mind not getting it; I'm just happy that I've yet to fail one of these mission.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

piratepilates posted:

Well I think The Eccleston Illumination wins the award for "weirdest/best transition from level 4 to 5"

Level 1 is just killing a guy in the lab area of Sapienza
Level 2 is the same but with hacking a laptop

level 3 and 4 are roughly the same but with more conditions

level 5 flips the script and makes you hack the laptop and kill the same two targets, but now you have to do it with a katana while disguised as a plague doctor

:stare:

Yeah I liked this one too. Ended up going to town with an audio distraction device and the big box of acid on that one. and then I hosed up by changing out of the plague doctor outfit while still holding the katana on my way out of the lab after completing the objectives.

Just did Scorpio and Szilassi on Sapienza to see how easy they were and yeah they're real trivial. What wasn't trivial was the Kotti Paradigm (the 3 level Paris one with the axe), which has a very cool ferryman problem vibe to it, shuttling the outfit and the weapon around the map to your targets without the use of any pipes or windows. Would recommend.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Finally knocked out the last half dozen escalations. The 'bodies must be hidden in 90 seconds' restriction is probably the low-key single hardest one you can add to any mission. Full challenge completion on all maps, so I guess there's no excuse for procrastinating on starting Pro mode now.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

There's something just odd about that hokkaido restuarant area. I had a smiliar problem in that new escalation, where the people at the bar upstairs would spot me killing people down in the kitchen below for no good reason.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Always good to know for himmapan the linen room start has a fireaxe in the room if you turn 180 from the start position. I spent way too long trying to steal the one by the stairs with security guards nearby before noticing that.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I've already said I wanted the Devil Suit, but I would definitely settle for some kind of fancy wizard hat.

Anyway, new game mode time. The goal is to make the original targets of each level as happy as possible - help Jordan Cross record the perfect version of his song. Cook up some nice spaghetti for Silvio Caruso. Help General Zaydan practice for the big dance-off.
Obviously we're a bit constrained by the limits of our murder simulator but it's the thought that counts.

Give Strandberg a lovely massage. Make Novikov his favourite drink. Clear out the sauna for Yuki.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Nakar posted:

There are a number of ways to the top floor, all with their own particulars:
  • Find an invitation, either lying around a bathroom or on an NPC (the Garden start puts one guy directly to your right who has one). Go to the side door in the garden area, show your invitation, and follow the stairs up. You need to be in your suit for this.
  • Go past the door to the invitation check, go right and vault into a trespassing area, then sneak to a pipe you'll see on your left and climb all the way up to the terrace where everybody's drinking. You need to be in your suit, an Auction Staff disguise, or a CICADA Bodyguard disguise; regular Mansion Staff, Tech Crew, and Security Guards are not allowed and there's a guard who will catch you, but he doesn't care if you're in a proper disguise.
  • Get outside in the back somehow and find the pipe to the right of the doors back into the mansion (if looking from the outside). There's a pipe there that goes all the way up to the terrace of the auction. If you're in your suit, you can just go right in. If not, sneak to the end of the terrace and there's a CICADA Bodyguard with his back turned who can be subdued for a disguise. As long as you don't make a ruckus or trigger the fireworks, no one will find him.
  • Go out behind where the fashion show staff are preparing outside to the area with the shed and two Mansion Staff on break. From the diorama go into the back hallway and left. There's a pipe here that goes all the way up to the terrace behind Dalia's assistant's office. This one is tricky because the suit is trespassing at the bottom of the pipe and three people are looking at it, and the office terrace is trespassing to basically every disguise except Auction Staff and CICADA Bodyguard. However, there are ways to distract bodyguards out onto the terrace and subdue them for a disguise.
  • Go down into the basement under the stairs Novikov starts on, sneak to the stairs in the kitchen and up to the second floor. Work your way around through the large empty room to your right and once you're outside in that stair area you're fine if you're in your suit. As a bonus you've bypassed all invitation checks, but not the frisk (you can bypass that by jumping out the window next to the frisk point and climbing the pipe to your left). You can also KO the one Auction Staff guy in the big empty room for a disguise.
  • Do the same basement run to the second floor, hang a left, go straight to the end of the balcony tech area, and hang a right and enter the room with the vase and the office beyond that and climb into the attic. Take a CICADA Bodyguard disguise from somebody up here or sneak all the way around and to the right. Once you're out of the attic you should be fine. If you took a bodyguard disguise, you can enter Dalia's room.
  • Do the same basement run to the second floor but hang a left and work around to the Sheikh's room, or lure the Sheikh downstairs. He has access to almost all areas of the map and can go right up to the auction without being checked for an invitation or frisked. He can also go up the main stairs near his apartment that are normally not allowed, and I believe the back stairs up to the auction floor. They'll also let you into Dalia's room even if you're uninvited.
  • Be Helmut Kruger. Like the Sheikh he can run right upstairs without anyone asking questions, and he can go into Dalia's room.
  • Find a way to subdue Novikov's bodyguard (such as poisoning the sushi in the kitchen that Kurt sneaks a snack from) and take his disguise. He's a CICADA Bodyguard so he can go upstairs, but watch out as a number of bodyguards will be enforcers to it including one guy at each staircase. Just climb a pipe or go up to the attic to get in.
You can also do something to lure Dalia to another floor, such as triggering the lockdown.

You forgot the easiest one:
  • (in any disguise that gets 1st floor access) go to the bodyguard pair guarding the stairs off of the food prep room (not the one that you'd be funnelled to using your suit and invitation), and coin the left guard behind the statue, choke him out and take his costume - there's even a handy wardrobe to store the body right there. Then just walk on up past his buddy who won't be suspicious of you. Simple, repeatable and gives you a super easy way in and out for any number of future trips.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Nakar posted:

That does work too, but you'll want to be careful dragging the body if the door to the food prep area is open. You also have to make sure to lure the enforcer, but as you said he's the one closest to the statue and should be the one who checks the sound. You also need to make sure to hide him and either take his weapon or leave it behind the statue. While not as many people path through that room as the other staircase (which has another bodyguard milling around near the cabinets and an Auction Staff member who goes up and down), there is one Auction Staff member who comes down and Dalia's assistant and her guard may come down through that area if you trigger her script.

I'd say easier than that is knocking out the Auction Staff guy in the empty room since you don't even need to distract him and the bodyguards don't enforce, which is why I mentioned it. It's kind of one or the other; the CICADA Bodyguard disguise gets past frisks but has more enforcers, the Auction Staff goes almost totally unnoticed but gets frisked at the stairs.

I've done it maybe 50 times by this point and I've never had the food prep guys spot me dragging the body to the wardrobe. (you can just shut the door if you're paranoid) and the gun issue doesn't change much either. take it, leave it behind the statue, let it get spotted, whatever - the box is like 10m from the base of the stairs and the guard is right there so it really doesn't mess up any patterns if it does get found. It's very easy to make the enforcer guard be the one you choke out, you have to do some trickshots with the coin basically into the corner of the stairs to make the wrong guard investigate first. For no frisks and full access it's very worthwhile. With the AV tech start you're up there in seconds.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 11, 2017

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Nakar posted:

If this is the one I think it is then no, it shouldn't require anything crazy. Throw a coin in the back to lure the cop then run around and shoot the car near the stairs so Decker checks it, lure him down into the stairwell and knock him out. Drag him to the box in the basement and use the nearby extinguisher to accident him, stash in box, change into the disguise in the locker room, run to the kitchen stairs. Carefully go to the end of the auction entrance hall and close the doors, plus the side doors; do not walk too far forward or the second target will start her script to walk upstairs. Walk behind the guard until you see a subdue prompt, subdue and take gun, drag into the womens' restroom. The model and Palace Staff on their phones shouldn't notice 95% of the time. Walk back down the hallway and walk enough to prompt the target to start moving, close the doors behind her, kill her in the hallway and put her in the same place you put the security guard. Exit downstairs, destroying evidence if necessary.

None of that requires insane distractions. People might not know you can lure the cop near Decker away, or that Decker will prefer checking the car over his bodyguard. Most Escalation videos are concerned with speed or just make a mountain of a molehill. EDIT: Also most people hate Escalations and don't do half of them, even the pros. I have 100% Escalation completion and I can assure you that zero Escalations require initiating RNG panic mode.

for the smoking woman you have to kill, I prefer to come from the other direction and coin her to the pond area just as she stops smoking, you can knock her out unseen behind the wall, then drag her body directly away from the double doors and once you're out of the bodyguards' view about 2/3 of the way along the pond's length dump her into the water and you should be able to do all this before the one dude who walks through the pond area shows up on his route.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

shut up blegum posted:

The problem is that there's no reason whatsoever to 'textually design escalations'. It's not like someone from IOI is going to read this thread and offer you a job as idea guy.

Anyway, something I was wondering. Is there any difference between the revolvers you can pick? I mean, besides a silencer, that's obvious. But what's the difference between the silverballer and those other guns? I always pick the silverballer because ~nostalgia~.

The gold 2-2 krugmeir one you can unlock is the most silent of the guns, people won't notice you shooting it over their shoulder, but is a lot weaker at range and doesn't have the hold shift for extra fine aim thing

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Decided after a self-enforced month break to come in and run the ET with only the vague hints about lockpicks and explosions from this thread to guide me, and I grabbed my 3rd SA rating in a row. Nothing quite like that rush. Started hacker, unlocked the safe, stashed the bedroom elite and took his uniform then spent longer looking for a fire extinguisher than anything else. finally found it when i went to deal with the recording equipment. ended up dropping extinguisher and breaching charge just outside the house's front door once Graves had cleared off and just about managed to time the explosion to get only the target, though the 'WATCH OUT 47 HE'S RUNNING FOR IT' speech made me anxious for a moment. One quick loop around the house to pick up the ledger and a near miss of being spotted in the basement later and I'm done

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

shut up blegum posted:

I started playing escalation contracts, is there any reason to try and get SA in them? Does that unlock anything special?
No reason at all other than personal pride/masochism/leaderboard score. There are too many escalations out there to not just have some fun and play them fast & loose, imo. Most of them are plenty challenging anyway, and you get to make the widest use of your full kit.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

horse mans posted:

I'm less interested in watching a perfectly clean, well-rehearsed professional takedown than crazy, arbitrary attempts that show off the player's ability to improvise and react to situations gone wrong.

I would suggest any number of Giantbomb's hitman videos, which are generally blind runs of the levels on release, and their hitmas video which is a competitive replay of the Showstopper with some additional restrictions. Some of these videos will be premium content (mostly Elusive targets), but there's a lot there and I can say with certainty there is nothing professional about any of it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/hitman/3030-45150/videos/

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

So i've been casually making my way through the game and enjoying it well enough but Bangkok has removed my enthusiasm a bit, any tips for a good first time play through this level. Where the good opportunities are and whatnot?

Check a note at the reception desk for a fun Ken Morgan oppourtunity, and 2nd the Abel De Silva one for Jordan Cross. Bangkok is great once you get a feel for where things are. I'd also check out the laundry room in the basement if you want some more freedom to explore.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Breaching charge tip: if you know you only need the one for a thing, consider blowing up the spare in private before you set up your booby trap so you can stand around with the detonator in hand and not attract attention while waiting to pop it.

I wish I knew more about how The Big One worked in practice. I assume it's not actually that distracting or it would probably be used in more speedruns

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

qbert posted:

Finally completed every non-escalation challenge in the game. Also did about 13 escalations to unlock whatever that gun is, and get the trophies for doing 1 on each map.

That just leaves 35 escalations to do (16 in Paris alone). That's um...daunting. Probably just gonna move onto another game now until the next ET comes out, or S2 gets announced.

Still an amazing game. My favorite of 2016.

Edit: Haven't touched Professional mode, and have no desire to.

This was me 2 months ago before I caved and started filling in the escalations. Knocking 2 or 3 out in a session and I got them done in about a month. Definitely wouldn't bother with pro mode though. Nope. Didn't just do the first 5 levels of Paris mastery last night. :shepface:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

On SASO Jordan cross is probably the single hardest target to assassinate, so I guess difficulty depends on playstyle.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Man some of these Marrakesh escalations.

None of them are bullshit, they all have pretty straightforward goals and easily worked out strategies but they're also set up so that if you make a single misstep in timing it can trigger a giant cascade of failures. I'm on level 4 of the consulate one and I don't think I finished a single one of the previous three levels without inadvertently going on a killing spree.

yeah those ones can be a bit hit or miss and have neat ideas but then get ruined by making you have to do 2 minutes of running across town/waiting about before you get to the tricky bit so restarting is a chore (that one with the miltary officer uniform and that one with the intern, looking at you)

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I remember the one where you have to kill decker and hide his body but the bodyguard disguise doesn't work being very hard, as was the one with the dahlia's office safe + auction woman + hide bodies restriction. basically any one where you have to hide the bodies within 90 seconds makes for a tough time cause you can't drop a duck and leave, and when things go wrong you can't shoot your way out. Kotti paradigm (3 level axe and no climbing) was the best one

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

SA'd the Badboy to get the Winter Suit. I picked this game up at the time of The Chef ET and have yet to fail one so far, so still 2 off the 13 total ET's reward. Hoping there should be exactly enough of them left to finish it.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 7, 2017

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

loving gently caress gently caress bollocks gently caress.

It was so good, why didn't more people give it a chance?

Suffered for the sins of absolution, mostly. The next game always takes the sales hit from a bad release.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Reminder for people clearing pro: you can knock out a lot of challenges on one target quickly if you save after deleting cameras and taking out the first target by reloading from the save and doing a variety of kill then exits, just make sure you bring a loadout to maximise your ability to complete challenges.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

shut up blegum posted:

Hmm, seems like if you knock out the chef in Sapienza, Silvio won't eat the spaghetti. Makes sense but I didn't think about that so it's pretty annoying.

Yeah I was looking at that one before trying to SASO on pro, I think just being smart with the radio timing seems the best way to deal with him if you want to posion, but i've yet to manage it. miss those saves.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Do another couple of challenges first, then complete the rest whilst starting as the kitchen assistant.

That wouldn't make doing it suit only any easier. It's possible I shouldn't be trying to finish him off that way at all, the telescope trick seems to not allow me a chance to get to an exit before the body is found. Maybe dropping the orrery thing on him would be a more feasible plan. Drop poo poo on target seems to be the goto SASO pro method so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

SASO on Sapienza complete, 4/4 on dropping poo poo on my targets so far in pro mode. Now it's time to have some fun.