Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
So if I liked Silent Assassin and Contracts, loved Blood Money, and skipped Absolution is it safe to say this new Hitman is worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Thank goodness. Requiring a single player game to be always online was tremendously dumb, especially with offline and online saves being incompatible with each other.

I picked this up during the PSN Black Friday sale and am having loads of fun. I haven't played past the Paris mission yet. I'm having a lot of fun just doing all the challenges. I turned off Opportunities and Instinct right at the start and am glad I did. You can pick up on just about every opportunity through eavesdropping or common sense, and this game definitely evokes that sense of accomplishment that Blood Money gave you for orchestrating the perfect hit. I love that the story is mostly in the background, but you can pick up on lots of little details by eavesdropping on the targets. I really like the differences between Margolis' conversation with Helmut versus her conversation with 47-as-Helmut. And I love all the little touches with incidental dialog. You have the help arguing about the government in the basement break room while the global elite are bidding on all kinds of shady international secrets two floors above.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah, I'm speaking just to the ICA Training and Paris missions since that's all I've played. I may need to turn on the minimal Opportunities option later on. I do wish you could still peek through keyholes so I could turn off the minimap. Having it turned on basically nullifies the need for the ridiculously overpowered wallhack Instinct mode, but turning off the minimap leaves you a bit vulnerable when opening doors.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
One thing that was a bit weird about buying the complete season pack was that only the intro downloaded for me even though I had the spare HD space for all of them. I had to download Sapienza, Marakesh, bonus Summer episodes (?), etc. individually.

Did the Sarajevo Six Paris mission early this morning and it was a nice bit of variety. I would have liked something a bit more akin to Ground Zeroes' side ops where time of day, patrols, and objectives vary but oh well. Still haven't tried an elusive target, but it's a pretty clever way to induce players to buy episodes upon release so they don't miss the content, and it fits in perfectly for Hitman.

And I finally got around to watching that Hitman Live thing, which owns. If they ever try for another live action movie that would be a good starting point.

Oh my god. Gary Busey was an elusive target? :allears:

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 28, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Honestly if I saw a neatly folded designer suit lying around, it'd be hard not to grab it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The terminal velocity assassination in Paris. :allears:

It's nice that they threw in some special dialog of Dalia talking poo poo about Viktor, seconds before she splats into him. So far I think my favorite overheard conversation was from an AV crew member hitting on a model. After she humors him and walks away he's like, "Alright, I got through an entire conversation with a girl without saying something stupid. Makin' progress!"

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Unlucky7 posted:

I just got the complete game. However, I am torn between allowing challenge and opportunity descriptions or setting them to minimal.

I'd say if this is your first Hitman game set them to minimal, but if you've played the other games in the series you're probably fine turning them off, at least for a while. One of the appealing things about Hitman to me is the trial-and-error gameplay and trying to find new ways to kill people. The ICA training and Paris missions are pretty clear with Intel you can find or overhear, and if you're at a loss the Challenges also clue you into the types of scenarios available to you.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It is unlikely, but I hope they do a Christmas themed ET. I want to toilet drown a guy in a Santa Suit while 47 is dressed like an Elf or something stupid.

If you haven't played Blood Money, it's got a great Christmas-themed hit.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Had my first crash last night playing Sapienza, followed by two more in quick succession.

Sapienza is amazing, basically A Vintage Year on steroids. I've only done the mission to completion twice, but each time has taken at least an hour and I inadvertently achieve a poo poo-ton of challenges just out of sheer exploration. I might kick myself for asking for help on this, but I've picked up a few things about a particular assassination method:

1. The briefing mentions that NotFoxDie has been successful on lab rats.

2. A mansion guard mentions that he found a dead rat under his bunk.

3. A housekeeper mentions seeing a live lab rat in the dining hall.

4. Caruso has some of De Santis' DNA in the attic safe.

All this leads me to believe there's a way to use the rat as a vector for the virus to kill De Santis, but I've scoured the drat mansion and haven't seen a rat anywhere.

The level of detail in Sapienza is insane, and I've had a blast with my runs so far - First run: Making Caruso vomit from his mom's "secret recipe" and pushing him off a cliff. Electrocuting De Santis on the upstairs balcony. Destroying the virus by overheating. Second run: Exploding golf ball and poison champagne as the golf instructor and overheating the virus again. Current run: Kill switch on the virus and garroting De Santis as the private detective. Haven't had this much fun in a game since MGSV.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I noticed on one of the loading screen hints that you can also get disguises from dead bodies that get discovered and bodybagged, and you can get disguises from bodies you hide in cabinets or bins. Pretty cool.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Tried the elusive target (my first one), after a few restarts got SASO by shooting the Café sign from the bazaar rooftops, which seems like a popular strategy :v:. Not knowing where the target was and being new to the Marakesh map was pretty sweet.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
In Sapienza, is it possible to get the Sniper Assassin - and maybe SASO - from the tower that has the cafe basement ICA drop? I can pick off De Santis just fine, but it seems like some fucker sees me immediately from half the map away.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just dicking around from the town hall tower I figured out you can shoot the panel off the observatory roof mechanism, and then shoot it again to open the roof. And I know Caruso goes up there to look through the telescope, which looks right at the church tower. Would you have to run through the sewers to make it there in time?

And I forgot about the virus :downs:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I think my favorite thing to do in Sapienza is just to blend in at the church pew and listen to the different prayers.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Since I hadn't played Absolution and just unlocked that suit I was all :wtc:. I really want that winter coat.

Went back to Paris after hitting the max mastery level on Sapienza and found the Sheik. It's great that people let him go all over mist restricted areas.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Marrakesh questions:

1. Is it possible to collect both codewords for the meeting between Reza and Strandberg and call both parties from a single phone, or do I need to collect the codeword from one location, call, and then book it to the other? I know from a previous run that Strandberg only waits in the tunnel for a few minutes before leaving if Reza doesn't show up so that doesn't leave much time.

2. Can I place a remote explosive near the punctured oil barrel to complete that challenge when they're both down there, or do I need to shoot the oil slick from nearby?

On my last Marrakesh run, I killed Reza while dressed as the prisoner and Strandberg as the masseuse. So satisfying :allears:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I still haven't played the other bonus missions but I love that they're offering new missions on old maps in different contexts. Getting kinda bored of Marrakesh so I need to try Bangkok. I like the setup and setting for Marrakesh, but it seems difficult to deal with the targets outside of their starting points or in the tunnels so your options are more limited than in Sapienza. I wish there was a way to get them out into the marketplace even if it doesn't really make sense for this mission. Still, I love how you pick up on details like the protests being astroturfed to provide justification for martial law.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

PantsBandit posted:

Finished Hokkaido last night and, with that, another Hitman game is done. Now I get to go back and gently caress around with the levels :evil:

I put about 30 minutes into Sapienza last night, just screwing around and exploring. New things I found:

There's a bodyguard chilling on a bench that you can lure to a nearby room (need the lockpick) for easy access to the mansion

City hall seems like a lot of wasted space with an ice cream shop and offices with no apparent purpose?

The bohemian disguise and joint is amazing

The ice cream shop is useful for swiping some rat poison in the back to use on the psychologist's coffee outside.

The bohemian outfit rules because of the open disdain people have for you and you can plant a joint in De Santis' pack of cigarettes. There's another joint behind the old ruins, near the speedboat.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I got this for like $27 on the PSN Black Friday sale. I planned to get it after hearing good feedback earlier in this thread but wanted to wait until all the episodes were out and patched. I'm kinda glad I waited since it seems like the game got gradually more streamlined in patches, but I'd probably pay full price for season 2 given how much fun I've had so far only halfway through season 1

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I tend to play most games with subtitles on, and in Hitman only the important opportunity-based conversations are subtitled. So far I've been fine with the Opportunities totally turned off since paying attention to the conversations covers most of them. This and just exploration will get you by, plus it's incredibly satisfying to notice something on one playthrough you can make use of later. This is how I figured out the "Eye for an Eye" challenge in Sapienza, and pulling it off was probably my favorite moment in the game so far.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Trillhouse posted:

My dream for Hitman Season 2 is opportunities that allow you to frame other people during a hit.

Like stab the target to death then get her husband or someone drunk and passed out. Then move him to the dead target and put the knife in his hand and call security.

Basically a chance to do violent non-accident hits and still get Silent Assassin.

Sapienza definitely gave me the impression there was some way to agitate De Santis into murdering Caruso since his keeping her DNA in a safe reveals to her that he has a contingency plan for her. Plus she was brought in by Ether specifically to spy on him and eventually take care of him once the virus is more stable. But I guess that's just for added color.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
True. I just wished there was a way for either Caruso to kill De Santis with the prototype virus or for De Santis to kill Caruso in a fit of rage after you give her the DNA sample.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I like when you're wearing the bohemian outfit because half the people are like "fight the power, man" while the other half are like "ugh, get a job loser."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
When I first heard Bateson wasn't hired for Absolution that's when I decided not to buy it. 47 is modeled after him after all. I didn't know until much later they'd hired him after an outcry, but I'm still glad I skipped it. I'd be more interested to know if Contracts or Blood Money still hold up. Even though I played the gently caress out of them and 2 in my teenage years and SA'd everything, I get the feeling they probably didn't age well. It amazes me how Jesper Kyd managed to nail the tone of each game. Hitman 2 has a score worthy of a Bond film, and Contracts' score is sinister as gently caress with tracks like "Hong Kong Underground."

I did my first run through of Colorado yesterday and really loved it. Starting in a hostile area where literally everyone is armed was a nice touch. I liked having a squalid environment after lots of glitz and glamor, and as always figuring out some of the assassination methods on a blind run is always fun. I was kind of bummed you can't impersonate Berg after killing him, but oh well. On replays I had some really serendipitous stuff like Graves just happened to be by the grandfather clock while I was upstairs waiting for Rose to leave his room. Free chandelier kill!

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 13, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just tried Hokkaido for the first time. Somehow it feels closest to Blood Money in terms of the density of the level and some of the assassinations on offer. Took me more than an hour of dicking around, but I got two of the more satisfying ones - killing Yamazaki as the yoga instructor and destroying Soders' new heart as the morgue curator, the latter is probably one of my favorites ever because of the super gnarly and hiarious way 47 chucks the heart in the garbage and because "you've effectively killed him without laying a hand on him."

As for where the story is going, I don't mind that Sean Bean the shadow client seems to be a fellow clone assassin who knew 47 in his childhood. I can't speak for Absolution, but only Codename 47 really delved into his upbringing in the asylum so it's worth revisiting. I did think it was hilarious that Providence's bargaining chip with Diana was to tell her about 47's past. It'd be one thing if this was a reboot and they didn't have much history, but she's effectively been the only person to have his back after numerous shady incidents with the ICA. You'd think if she was curious she could just...I don't know...ask him about it?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
That was an easy SA.

Picked the lock to get into the town hall, snuck into the basement for the kitchen assistant disguise, knocked out one guard on the balcony, used coin fuckery to get another onto the landing, then knocked out the guard smoking by the window. Destroyed the surveillance footage, dropped the chandelier on The Guru, then went back to the basement for my suit. I know you don't get extra points for that, but it just feels right.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
What dictates whether or not guards are alerted when you're sniping? Now that I have the WA-2000, it seems crazy that guards spot me immediately after headshots on a target from the other end of the map.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It just seems really finicky. I did a SASO Sniper Assassin run in Colorado from the water tower easily. Guards would search but no one spotted me up there, but from the barge in Paris or the mountain pass in Hokkaido it seems like every single time I'm screwed right away.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I remember being really impressed by the reflective mirrors and blood pools in Contracts, but I know that stuff like MGS1 had reflective surfaces way before then. People made a big deal about Blood Money's Mardi Gras level at the time. It was a big step forward in the whole social stealth thing that Hitman helped pioneer.

That game maker's toolkit video was a great expression of what this game does right. I still haven't gotten around to trying escalations or contracts, but he definitely makes them sound appealing now that I've put so much time into the story missions. I saved all but the first Sarajevo Six missions so I'm sure they'll feel great now that I'm so well versed with the maps.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 22, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah, I've had it for maybe a month and have had an absolute blast. The timed content only recently had unlocks tied to it so you shouldn't have a problem unlocking the different suits even now. It is for sure my GOTY, and I haven't even touched what most consider to be the best content it has to offer. I'm so glad that Hitman turned out so well because it's always been one of my favorite series.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I accidentally got the close personal protection challenge when I tried to drop a speaker on Novikov and missed :v:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pennfalath posted:

Somebody is going to have a severe case of food poisoning...

It'd be funny if they throw a curveball and he never eats or drinks anything.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The game at least makes you feel okay for killing him since he got a rich murderous client off on an affluenza defense :v:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mystic Stylez posted:

It was the second prologue mission so I guess I don't get the rating screen. Also I don't think they have cameras. Oh well, will try again, thanks!

Did you exit the mission immediately after killing the target? Sometimes it seems like the game doesn't credit you if the "unnoticed kill/accident kill" tag doesn't come up before leaving a mission.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The closeup double-tap in the back animation is more satisfying anyway :v:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If it makes you feel better I only found it doing an escalation the other day after having put dozens of hours into the game. It was a nice surprise.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This pad Thai immediately killed my boss. Just an unfortunate accident. No cause for alarm or suspicion.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I didn't know that! I just shot him from the outside in front of everyone like a chump.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Escalations have shown me the value of the fire extinguisher so it wouldn't surprise me if that's how this food critic is gonna die

And once I have the winter coat and there are no more Silent Assassin elusive target unlocks, I'm gonna start playing these with no restarts. Seems way more in keeping with the spirit of elusive targets, and all the other suit unlocks just require that you complete them so I won't need to agonize over SA rating.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This one's up for 7 days. I think they started extending the elusive target durations because people complained that 48 hours didn't give them enough time.