Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Monomythian posted:

You don't understand, there's no market for sandbox games.

*watches Minecraft break 100 million sales, becomes biggest selling game in history*

That's what I don't get

Literal graveyard of WoW clones
Meanwhile the Day-Z mod spawns an entire subgenre based on player interaction, and every sandbox ever made is either still being played or fondly remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
There are so many great sandbox games out now that we're all huddled in here throwing dollars at a Korean game no one likes.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I made my sorceress real pretty.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
Chris Roberts figured it all out for real though. People want the dream. He has created the WH40k god emperor of sand box mmo's, which made 90,000$ today alone, 5.5 MILLION in the past month and well over 100 Million total with 0 deliverables. Sure, there are whispers of heresy that the god emperor is actually dead, but they will be purged soon.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

On a far grimmer note, who is ready to grind to 50 during the cbt. I must whip myself with the cat of nine poopsocks to cleanse my spirit before I start 96 hours before release and hit 50 before the poors even log in.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Monomythian posted:

*watches Minecraft break 100 million sales, becomes biggest selling game in history*

People who like good sandbox games don't play MMOs very much. These people are smart.

People who like MMOs don't seem to be attracted to sandbox games. They are attracted to MMOs with some sandbox elements though. At the same time, I think that it is very fair to point out that it has been a really long time since a good sandbox MMO was released so maybe there is an untapped market out there waiting to satisfied? I kinda agree with the guy who said SWG was the last one like this. There have been other attempts at it but meh...

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 11, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vrath posted:

I'm curious about how the developer is differing from the KR guys, and what happens if they axe the project in KR, the only interview I found was this
So, the who-is-who: Pearl Abyss are the developers of the game. Daum Games publishes game in Korea, North America, and Europe. GameNet publishes game in Russia. GameOn Japan publishes the game too, guess where :razz:. To make now slightly more sense of it, let us separate Daum Games into hypothetical Daum Games Korea and Daum Games West.

Now, with this out of the way, as you well know - the developer works only as long as much as publisher pays them, unless they also act as publisher, which is not the case indeed. Therefore, we can expect continued, active development of Black Desert only if it becomes more profitable than making a new game. Depends on agreement between the developer and the publishers though, so, for simplicity's sake, let's assume that developer here (unrealistic, but simple to talk through) makes the decision between continuing Black Desert and making a different game. In that case, for Black Desert to see further development, it must become more profitable than a generic Korean MMO market cash grab.

On the ground, right now, situation is more or less following: Daum Games Korea has folded, GameNet is in the process of folding. God alone knows what's the situation with GameOn Japan, and Daum Games West is happening in a month.

So yeah, unless game blows up in the west and Russia stops folding (and maybe some new emergent markets or some semblance of revival in Korea), it's unlikely that any future updates beyond prefabricated content on hold will be more than nominal.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Is the Asian market enough to justify not going all out with a proper sandbox, which people have been begging for in Western markets for the past decade? I'm asking because I really don't know.
It's more than enough, if they actually go and deliver everything they promise, for once, and not a tiny fraction of it. Other issue here is that "AAA" sandbox paradigm does build itself upon PvP more often to greater extent than not. Russia is going to pay through the nose for tumbleweed simulator, just give ability to qualitatively gently caress up other Russians. So will do lots of Europeans (expanding Europe to Turkey here), and I believe that all Americas would do so as well, if to a slightly lesser extent since European don't get picky about other poo poo as long as PvP is the real deal. But that is us, foreigners of all kinds. Koreans like PvP nowhere near as much as we do. Catch-22 is what you call this, I believe.

Probad posted:

There are so many great sandbox games out now that we're all huddled in here throwing dollars at a Korean game no one likes.
Hmm, here's the definitive list of at least somewhat fresh, great sandbox games out now that are not an arbitrary combination of too poor for artists/isometric lyfe of 1995/project by a man and his goat, and which also are already released, and which also are not EVE Online:

vrath posted:

On a far grimmer note, who is ready to grind to 50 during the cbt. I must whip myself with the cat of nine poopsocks to cleanse my spirit before I start 96 hours before release and hit 50 before the poors even log in.
I should be participating in both of these things, provided I can wrap up successfully the bulk of imminent studies before the CBT2 arrives.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I made my sorceress real pretty.
:how:

Monomythian posted:

Imagine Minecraft where arbitrary people can connect to your server without your consent.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 11, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

There are attempts at it, Shards looks interesting. But there's no NA publishers willing to put down a lot of money to do it, so the sandbox projects are small and niche. Not sure why Korea specializes in them, maybe the insular and less toxic community makes them better, whereas here like in Archeage it seems to be a race of which guild can destroy the server the fastest.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

There are attempts at it, Shards looks interesting. But there's no NA publishers willing to put down a lot of money to do it, so the sandbox projects are small and niche. Not sure why Korea specializes in them, maybe the insular and less toxic community makes them better, whereas here like in Archeage it seems to be a race of which guild can destroy the server the fastest.
For your information, SSN registration in Korea is due to how toxic their communities can be. :v:

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

kalstrams posted:

Imagine Minecraft where arbitrary people can connect to your server without your consent.

I would pay the blood of many virgins to connect to peoples minecraft servers without consent.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vrath posted:

I would pay the blood of many virgins to connect to peoples minecraft servers without consent.
72, by any chance? :v:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

That's what I don't get

Literal graveyard of WoW clones
Meanwhile the Day-Z mod spawns an entire subgenre based on player interaction, and every sandbox ever made is either still being played or fondly remembered.

It's cause sandbox games are really difficult to get "right". There's no formula for it. And if you are following a formula, you're just effectively ripping off another game. Which is always fare worse because it's like, why not just play the other game that already has an established community? That being said, I would love it if someone who wasn't Hitler ripped off chinagame. It's not that there's no market for sandbox games, but rather developing a sandbox game is extremely high risk. Even if we look at something like EVE, the game itself has had hundreds of complete systemic overhauls. The only sandbox games nowadays that go nowadays big are ones that just got lucky. Like even something like H1Z1. The part of the game that went big wasn't the part that ripped off Day Z, but their royal rumble mode which was always supposed to be a secondary game mode.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

People who like good sandbox games don't play MMOs very much. These people are smart.

People who like MMOs don't seem to be attracted to sandbox games. They are attracted to MMOs with some sandbox elements though. At the same time, I think that it is very fair to point out that it has been a really long time since a good sandbox MMO was released so maybe there is an untapped market out there waiting to satisfied? I kinda agree with the guy who said SWG was the last one like this. There have been other attempts at it but meh...

People point to Mortal Online (which was limited due to targeted hardware) and Darkfall (which went way too far with their HARDCORE PVP RELIVE 1997-ERA UO nonsense). Pre-Trammel UO worked because we didn't have options. Now you have someone corpse camp you in a full loot MMO and you say gently caress it after 30 minutes and never touch it again. Ultimately Darkfall became a game of trolls trolling trolls, and they all left when they came to that realization.

So even if we're going to count those, there hasn't been anything since. Maybe Elite Dangerous but that's kind of a stretch.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey everyone

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
gently caress that hurts my eyes

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
All hail the new flesh!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

Hey everyone

This image represents the short term memories of goons who continuously buy those LEGENDARY founder's packs for $100+ game after game after game.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Their constant bitching about spending all that money when things go south is a worthwhile contribution to the end of the thread.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I spent $150 on ArcheAge and I really regret it.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but remember gliders? And figuring out we could put hilariously inappropriate jpgs on our boat sails? Those were 2 fun things in 3 months of horseshit.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yeah but remember gliders? And figuring out we could put hilariously inappropriate jpgs on our boat sails? Those were 2 fun things in 3 months of horseshit.

I didn't get to that point. I quit when I hit the spooky town. Completely irredeemable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I spent $150 on ArcheAge and I really regret it.
There was a a short period of time where I spent $120 on MechWarrior Online, $110 on Star Citizen, and $40 on DayZ Standalone, amongst other things.

Good grief I'm from Eastern Europe though. I sold MWO to Russian for $85, Star Citizen for $190 to some redditor, and it sort of worked out. :v:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

vrath posted:

Chris Roberts figured it all out for real though. People want the dream. He has created the WH40k god emperor of sand box mmo's, which made 90,000$ today alone, 5.5 MILLION in the past month and well over 100 Million total with 0 deliverables. Sure, there are whispers of heresy that the god emperor is actually dead, but they will be purged soon.

I gave The Repopulation money and Hero Engine rammed their dick into them. Now they are making a Survival game on Unreal Engine so they can afford to make the MMO that they lost their bankroll on. The struggle is real if you attempt to make a real sandbox mmo.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

I gave The Repopulation money and Hero Engine rammed their dick into them. Now they are making a Survival game on Unreal Engine so they can afford to make the MMO that they lost their bankroll on. The struggle is real if you attempt to make a real sandbox mmo.

I genuinely feel bad for them. 4 months away from release and the company in charge of their engine (which was the only viable option since they started production in 2010, a time where Unity was poo poo and the mere thought of indies using Unreal/CryEngine would get you accused of being under the influence of some serious drugs) shits the bed. What a shame.

The hand they've been dealt is absolutely bullshit, but it'll work out for the best.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I genuinely feel bad for them. 4 months away from release and the company in charge of their engine (which was the only viable option since they started production in 2010, a time where Unity was poo poo and the mere thought of indies using Unreal/CryEngine would get you accused of being under the influence of some serious drugs) shits the bed. What a shame.

The hand they've been dealt is absolutely bullshit, but it'll work out for the best.
I'm legitimately happy that Heron Engine did not work out for them. It's absolute poo poo of an engine. :colbert:

Star Wars: The Old Republic runs worse on my laptop than Black Desert.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

I'm legitimately happy that Heron Engine did not work out for them. It's absolute poo poo of an engine. :colbert:

Star Wars: The Old Republic runs worse on my laptop than Black Desert.

Ultimately it's for the best, it forced their hand but I still feel bad for them being that drat close.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

Hey everyone

AM I BEING DETAINED?

Zach the Drifter
Jul 16, 2006
I'm here to bring this conversation back on track. As the land baron, Autobot, I absolutely loved ArchAge. Started with controlling all of the territory and then went on to taking everyone's trade ships as a pirate. Best MMO I ever had the opportunity to play. Seriously, you guys were just doing it wrong

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ArcheAge was real good on Korea, especially the closed beta tests.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zach the Drifter posted:

I'm here to bring this conversation back on track. As the land baron, Autobot, I absolutely loved ArchAge. Started with controlling all of the territory and then went on to taking everyone's trade ships as a pirate. Best MMO I ever had the opportunity to play. Seriously, you guys were just doing it wrong

I had a lot of land, but it was still terrible

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

I had a lot of land, but it was still terrible

Same. I had a villa in the green zone for rich people, and we pirated much, but game was still poo poo.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
What region are goons playing this mess on? I'm in for CBT2 and am prepared to know regret.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RedTonic posted:

What region are goons playing this mess on? I'm in for CBT2 and am prepared to know regret.
America I guess, it's not like there are lots of Europeans here - maybe 3 of us total?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Take this as an opportunity to find out what the latency is like for US servers.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

kalstrams posted:

America I guess, it's not like there are lots of Europeans here - maybe 3 of us total?

Well, since you'll be honorary americans, feel free to join us for our bbq of our 2 party political system.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Hey so has anyone made Emily Blunt for me in the game yet?

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hey so has anyone made Emily Blunt for me in the game yet?

whoever is doing emily blunt for you should do a john Krasinski berserker for me, then we can have an in-game wedding.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The default sorceress face isn't too far off from Blunt. Mostly just need to fix the hair color to include awful highlights.

I haven't played anything more recent than The Secret World, so I was overdue for a bad decision like this.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

RedTonic posted:

The default sorceress face isn't too far off from Blunt. Mostly just need to fix the hair color to include awful highlights.

I haven't played anything more recent than The Secret World, so I was overdue for a bad decision like this.

The secret world is going to be a hard one to beat as far as decisions go. I'm thinking that this one can definitely crush a little more sand out of all our souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vrath posted:

Well, since you'll be honorary americans, feel free to join us for our bbq of our 2 party political system.
Beanless chili is the only chili that matters. Let's put the stop the reign of terror of radical culinaric terrorists, let's buy a door to keep bean havers out of our country. Make kitchen great again!