Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Samantha Bee continues to amaze week after week. This poo poo is amazing and everyone needs to watch this show.

That election coverage was balls-to-the-wall amazing though. I wish I had the numbers so I could know how many people saw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sbaldrick posted:

Mandela is a weird leader who while a great symbol was kind of poo poo at politics. He gets a ton of deserved credit for the end of Apartheid and working to bring South Africans together in peace but his unwillingness to crush the poo poo out of the corruption in his own party and among his successors is a huge blackmark against him.

He was also pretty vocal about comparing Israeli occupation of the West Bank to Apartheid so Sanders saying he admired his foreign policy would give the right a club to beat him with. With Churchill, in order to beat him with that the right would have to admit Churchill wasn't a great guy and they simply won't do that.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Narcissus1916 posted:

I honestly thought the abortion law segment was weaker than Oliver's similar reporting.

But the black history month and girl scout bits had a very clear message and were hilarious too.

The election coverage was next level though. Instead of "LOL Trump is Bad!" jokes we got "You loving dumbasses did this by sleeping in six years ago". Which is a smart, smart angle to take.

I voted in 2010.

Chris Christie got elected anyway :smith:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mr. Fowl posted:

I voted in 2010.

Me too, in Michigan. I took solace in the fact that Rick Snyder beat the Tea Party candidate in the primaries and might protect Michigan from their worst excesses.

And we all know how that turned out :smithicide:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Loved that first segment about 2010. "they don't like the president's...height", "redder than Carrie's dress on prom night", "speaking of C words: Mitch McConnel!"

The Black History bit was good too. Although it's ridiculously infuriating that not only do Americans not understand what's happening to black people over there...The TITLE of the movement to educate about it is CONSTANTLY misunderstood. (By idiots.)

The abortion bit was obviously hampered by how in depth John Oliver had gone on the subject, but the fact that it's still Sam going out and doing these field pieces really makes them work. EDIT: "should we regulate back alleys because..."

I thought Last Week Tonight stepped it up on Sunday after some "good enough" episodes the past couple weeks, but then Sam Bee came in and crushed it again.

Pillow Hat posted:

God drat we needed a woman to host one of these shows so badly.
I didn't even realise how much this mattered.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

VagueRant posted:

Although it's ridiculously infuriating that not only do Americans not understand what's happening to black people over there...The TITLE of the movement to educate about it is CONSTANTLY misunderstood. (By idiots.)

This isn't a misunderstanding, it is a deliberate decision by people who choose not to believe activists bringing attention to extant racism.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He was also pretty vocal about comparing Israeli occupation of the West Bank to Apartheid so Sanders saying he admired his foreign policy would give the right a club to beat him with. With Churchill, in order to beat him with that the right would have to admit Churchill wasn't a great guy and they simply won't do that.

I doubt that entered into the thought. Also the Israeli occupation of the West Bank is an atrocity so it would have still been a better answer.

This show is really killing it. Bee is taking cues from LWT, but she's focusing on being funny yet incisive rather than preachy so it's working a lot better for me.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

IRQ posted:

But she's focusing on being funny yet incisive rather than preachy so it's working a lot better for me.

Agreed. I don't really need most of this stuff broken down for me. I'm perfectly capable of becoming angry about it on my own. Make me laugh about it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dr Christmas posted:

Me too, in Michigan. I took solace in the fact that Rick Snyder beat the Tea Party candidate in the primaries and might protect Michigan from their worst excesses.

And we all know how that turned out :smithicide:

You have my deepest sympathy. Christie is bad, but I know that he is the least-worst of the crop of bad governors that were swept in in 2010. Do you at least have term limits? That's my only solace; Christie is definitely out in two years.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Shark and Female Coach Speech were like vintage Daily Show circa 2006. So good.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I didn't even know that Sam was getting her own show until people started posting clips from it in other threads and drat, it is really good, especially since she is really sharp and witty in her bits compared to Trevor Noah.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
This show is amazing. The fact that Comedy Central let her go must weigh on them heavily.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Holy poo poo Sam is crushing it. This is now my favorite comedy news show.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Pillow Hat posted:

This isn't a misunderstanding, it is a deliberate decision by people who choose not to believe activists bringing attention to extant racism.
I'm sure there's plenty of wilfully ignorant folks (hah, did I just sound like Obama?) out there, but I've seen quite a few instances of people being convinced when someone broke down the whole Black Lives Matter thing to them (cliff notes: append "too" at the end of the slogan) and going "ohhhhh."

It's probably a bit like how having a gay relative suddenly makes homophobes go "oh, gays are actually human too?"

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

I'm sure there's plenty of wilfully ignorant folks (hah, did I just sound like Obama?) out there, but I've seen quite a few instances of people being convinced when someone broke down the whole Black Lives Matter thing to them (cliff notes: append "too" at the end of the slogan) and going "ohhhhh."

It's probably a bit like how having a gay relative suddenly makes homophobes go "oh, gays are actually human too?"

That's a pretty forgiving way of looking at it. "Oh, you mean to tell me these black folks weren't trying to say they're the only ones that matter? Well geeminy I can get on board with that." The onus is on white people (such as myself) to proactively educate themselves about the current state of racism and efforts to combat it. Alternatively stated, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think this show did a better job than most at trying to explain why "all lives matter" is misguided. But I don't think people saying that are necessarily saying it from a place of racism so much as a place of trying to acknowledge things loving over everyone, like income inequality (which is certainly a huge part of the systemic racism), without realizing that it diminishes the point.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I will always strive to critically self-examine and prevent myself from saying or doing something racist, but I have to acknowledge that I will gently caress up and say/do racist things. That doesn't mean I'm a bad person, it just means I'm human. And in general, it seems like white people are more afraid of being called racist than they are of being racist.

Saying "All Lives Matter" is a racist thing to say, because you (and I'm using you in a general sense) are suggesting that black people do not face unique challenges over and above the challenges faced by white people. That doesn't necessarily make the person saying it a racist person, but he or she is saying a racist thing. I realize we probably agree on the important things here, so I'm not trying to pick a fight. Just my two cents.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

We do. I'm just saying it's a logical thing to take the general message of "black lives matter" and try to be even more inclusive by rolling in other disadvantaged groups but it misses the point. The problem is that it's really easy to not understand that you're actually proving the racism BLM is pointing out in doing so.

And then well-meaning people get called out on it without any explanation and go on the defensive and it turns into a shitshow. I was pointing out that this show followed through and said why all lives matter doesn't work.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VagueRant posted:

The Black History bit was good too. Although it's ridiculously infuriating that not only do Americans not understand what's happening to black people over there...The TITLE of the movement to educate about it is CONSTANTLY misunderstood. (By idiots.)

It's willful misunderstanding, because here in America white people tend to interpret any kind of minority pride, specifically black pride, as a personal attack on their whiteness.

IRQ posted:

I think this show did a better job than most at trying to explain why "all lives matter" is misguided. But I don't think people saying that are necessarily saying it from a place of racism so much as a place of trying to acknowledge things loving over everyone, like income inequality (which is certainly a huge part of the systemic racism), without realizing that it diminishes the point.

Isn't it really strange, though, that "Black Lives Matter" is the only situation in which you could state that something matters and people would assume you think it's the only thing that matters?

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 2, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This is the best show on TV hosted by a Daily Show alum. I don't mean this as an insult to Colbert/Oliver/Noah/Wilmore.

If I had to pick the most important elections of my lifetime based on what was known at the time and none of the hindsight stuff, being born in '87; I'd have to go with:

2004 - Chance to stop George Bush and indict a president for starting a war that should have never been fought. We obviously dropped the ball.
2008 - obvious reasons

But Sam Bee did make a strong case that 2010 was more important, with the power of hindsight at least. Well I voted that year... that counts for something right?

Edit: Considering how incisive this midterm bit was, I'm hoping we'll get a good historical context to explain why America is going insane in 2016. Oliver's bit about Trump went everywhere on social media, but I felt like it fell short being the needed takedown. Maybe Sam Bee can do better.

Mr. Fowl posted:

I voted in 2010.

That was 2009. NJ's state elections are odd years. But yeah... Corzine wasn't great but I'm still mad as gently caress at every LIV liberal who ended up liking Christie and voted for him not once but twice before they finally regretted it.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 2, 2016

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Goddammit, that 2004 election. I never felt closer to an ulcer than I did when watching those loving results roll in. The backlash of hate and gently caress-you against Bush was about one year too late.

That fucker bothered me so goddamned much that when my father died a month before that election, one of my first thoughts in the midst of being stunned at the news was actually "well, that's one less vote for Bush." Which likely stemmed from the fact that my last conversation with him was desperately trying to get him NOT to vote for Bush, and cursing my own poor verbal debate skills in failing. We had to agree on a compromise of "not voting blindly down party lines" in that conversation.

I blame Bush for Drumpf.

I blame Bush for everything that's wrong with the global human condition.

I blame Bush for the entirety of human misery.

Which is why I loving delighted in "please clap."

I need to watch more Sam Bee. It sounds like she's taking the big, hard swings that we need her to take against these shitheads.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remembered everyone on my Facebook had a meltdown following the 2010 election. Everyone was sharing that "WTF has Obama done?" meme.

But I was like, "Do you not remember 2004?" It's part of the reason why I'm still slow in jumping on the Trump hate train, despite how reprehensible Trump is. 2004 was my huge "wow. our country is really hosed up" moment.

Don't get me wrong; gently caress all the people who didn't vote in 2010.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Isn't it really strange, though, that "Black Lives Matter" is the only situation in which you could state that something matters and people would assume you think it's the only thing that matters?

I don't think that's the case though, people are constantly confusing addressing one issue with ignoring all others. Like, for example, people bitching about cops doing traffic enforcement when they "should" be spending their time catching rapists and murderers. Or why is [legislative body] talking about carbon emissions instead of the price of gas. Or animal rights people being accused of not caring about advances in medicine. Or criminal justice reform people being accused of not caring about victims. People fixate on poo poo.

It's nothing new. I get where you're coming from, but the false dichotomy of only being able to care about one thing instead of many is nothing new and it's not exclusive to BLM. I really think this is a case where you can apply "never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Or in this case, well-meaning ignorance. And yeah there's a massive amount of privilege tied up in comprehending why all lives matter is offensive, I don't think anyone would deny that who has thought about it..

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I thought DeRay McKesson explained it well on TDS. He compared it to going to a breast cancer fund raiser and saying, "We need to raise funds to research ALL kinds of cancer." Good explanation to keep in my back pocket.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Typically when I understand examples of racism, I'm inclined to side with Team Evil over Team Stupid. On some level, there is malice involved, whether we're dealing with American heartland racists, Hollywood racists, or cosmopolitan racists. I often think the whole "they can't see pass their privilege" angle is played up too frequently to portray racists in a sympathetic light.

People are smart enough to understand things like systemic racism, but they posture themselves and just choose not to engage the issue on those terms. They fully know the whole constructed narrative of colorblindness is load of willful ignorance.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I would agree. I think there is a critical leap that is very difficult for so many white people to take where they look at themselves and realize how much of who they are is attributable to white supremacy. Just the other day, my racist uncle told me I should be against Affirmative Action because that's the only reasonable way to understand why I didn't get into my home state medical school. (I am a white man.) It would be much easier for me to agree with him, and I wouldn't have to deal with accepting the fact that I'm just not good enough. It's harder (for people in general) to say, "No Racist Uncle, you are wrong. The fact that I am a white man is actually not the reason I didn't get into medical school. Furthermore, being a white man, I have been at an advantage every step of the way leading to this point. I should be expected to have a more competitive application than, say, a black woman all other things being equal." (Plus, you know, I got into an out-of-state med school. So I'm actually more inclined to say it came down to some extent to the human component of admissions than anything AA related.)

But anyway, gently caress what makes me feel good about myself and how hard I worked. It's obvious to me that I have been the beneficiary of white privilege at every step of the way (in addition to a bunch of other types of social privilege). If I were a black woman, I would not be in medical school, plain and simple.

Pillow Hat fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 3, 2016

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

raditts posted:

Not true at all. Say the words "violence against women" to the right dudes and you'll get a face load of butthurt about how nobody ever cares when men are victims of violent crime.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Not true at all. Say the words "violence against women" to the right dudes and you'll get a face load of butthurt about how nobody ever cares when men are victims of violent crime.
People care the same about about violence against men the same way they care about prison rape.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
A significant percentage of white Americans literally think that discrimination against white people is currently as bad as against black people, and this becomes a majority when you're talking about Republicans. When you hear a Fox News talking head say "All Lives Matter", they're doing so as an attack generally on race-based social justice politics. The idea that white supremacy and anti-black prejudice is no longer an issue worth tackling politically is a mainstream part of Republican politics.

"All Lives Matter" is an effective political statement to the conservative movement because it alludes to the mainstream "post-racial" position of GOP politics. It's not intended to be coherent as a rebuttal to BLM's concerns as we understand them, it's intended to be a good-sounding way of affirming your belief in this post-racial reality, in which all people are essentially treated equally.

The GOP believes the concerns of BLM to be petty, so when they say "All Lives Matter", it's a coded way to say "we all are having a tough time, stop asking for special treatment", an incredibly popular sentiment among white conservatives. On the surface it's a feel-good, basically meaningless pro-social mantra. Dig a little deeper, and it becomes "If You Don't Want To Be Shot By Police, Stop Stealing Things, Blacks."

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pillow Hat posted:

I would agree. I think there is a critical leap that is very difficult for so many white people to take where they look at themselves and realize how much of who they are is attributable to white supremacy. Just the other day, my racist uncle told me I should be against Affirmative Action because that's the only reasonable way to understand why I didn't get into my home state medical school. (I am a white man.) It would be much easier for me to agree with him, and I wouldn't have to deal with accepting the fact that I'm just not good enough. It's harder (for people in general) to say, "No Racist Uncle, you are wrong. The fact that I am a white man is actually not the reason I didn't get into medical school. Furthermore, being a white man, I have been at an advantage every step of the way leading to this point. I should be expected to have a more competitive application than, say, a black woman all other things being equal." (Plus, you know, I got into an out-of-state med school. So I'm actually more inclined to say it came down to some extent to the human component of admissions than anything AA related.)

But anyway, gently caress what makes me feel good about myself and how hard I worked. It's obvious to me that I have been the beneficiary of white privilege at every step of the way (in addition to a bunch of other types of social privilege). If I were a black woman, I would not be in medical school, plain and simple.

I empty quote this post.

Also as a vague aside on the US medical community: A huge number of American Medical institutions run their recruitment programs like NFL drafts. If MD Anderson wants you to join their cancer critical care unit in Houston Texas then they big Gorilla a dozen other hospitals so that the only career acceptance letter you get as a recent MD grad forces you to move to loving Huoutan TX, because hospital draft politics. #DoctorsLivesMatter

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I honestly thought the abortion law segment was weaker than Oliver's similar reporting.

I thought it was the best thing on the show so far. It was exactly the sort of thing that made her my favourite Daily Show correspondent. Just the one line "... What are your memes?" was enough to make the whole segment.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

I don't think that's the case though, people are constantly confusing addressing one issue with ignoring all others. Like, for example, people bitching about cops doing traffic enforcement when they "should" be spending their time catching rapists and murderers. Or why is [legislative body] talking about carbon emissions instead of the price of gas. Or animal rights people being accused of not caring about advances in medicine. Or criminal justice reform people being accused of not caring about victims. People fixate on poo poo.

Comparing it to those examples is like apples and oranges. I have heard BLM referred to as a "hate group" for gently caress's sake.
The average white person's skewed perception of what "racism" is is especially galling when you remember things like this were a regular, acceptable thing that existed within living memory of many people. Sorry, I can't accept that most "All Lives Matter" are misguided Archie Bunker types, this is the kind of thing you have to deliberately bury your head in the sand to not understand.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Which follows the same pattern of "taking a set of circumstances that are unique in some ways to a certain group and making it all about yourself instead of actually addressing those circumstances as a problem"

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 3, 2016

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

My sense is that for most people, it is motivated by racism because they hear "Black Lives Matter" and think, "What are those black people getting at? My life is important, too!" Gonna agree with raditts that

raditts posted:

this is the kind of thing you have to deliberately bury your head in the sand to not understand.

If we just ignore for a second all the nuance and history that plays into BLM, think about what people who say ALM are assuming about BLM activists. They are assuming the activists think black lives are more important, NOT that black people face unique challenges. Those are (basically) the two ways these people could interpret the phrase "Black Lives Matter," and they're choosing the one where those saying it are selfish and prejudiced as opposed to selfless and subject to prejudice.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Racists actually understand systemic racism very well, they just think it's a thing that targets white people. They have it backwards.

The concept is not "too complicated" for them, it's basically the cornerstone of their world view.

Willful ignorance is a harsh phrase, I think. These people are racist, but I think they honestly believe their racist ideals. That's why they can't see systemic racism for what it is, and that's why education is the way forward. Shove reality down their throats until they understand the logic of why they're wrong, and they WILL change their minds. No one wants to be wrong.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Bass Bottles posted:

Racists actually understand systemic racism very well, they just think it's a thing that targets white people. They have it backwards.

I'm not disagreeing, but can you explain a little more what you mean by this? Are you referring, for example, to white people who think Affirmative Action has cost them success?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Pillow Hat posted:

I'm not disagreeing, but can you explain a little more what you mean by this? Are you referring, for example, to white people who think Affirmative Action has cost them success?

Yes. They think affirmative action costs them success, they think "PC culture" unfairly silences white voices, they think BLM causes a dehumanization of police, leading to a reckless disregard for their safety.

It's silly to say these concepts are too nuanced or complex for them to understand. They demonstrate over and over again that they not only understand them, they believe in them. They just have it backwards.

Still, I don't like the "willful ignorance" label. I think these beliefs, though wrong, are held earnestly.

I mean, I get it. If you handed someone an informative pamphlet clearly explaining the facts that white people are not disadvantaged, you wouldn't instantly change their mind. Their reaction would probably be emotional rejection, and that's frustrating. But people aren't robots, they aren't perfect rational beings, and they aren't 100% in control of their emotions.

This is the part where my argument gets dangerously close to tone-policing, but that's not what I'm trying to say. Well, okay, maybe it is, a little bit. You catch more flies with honey, etc. But whatever approach you want to use, I think the reality is that racists are absolutely capable of understanding systemic racism, because they already do. This is, in a weird way, good news, because it means there is hope!! (I think.)

I am, like you, a white person who can never fully understand what it's like to be the victim of racism, though. But I try my best to, and this is where I'm at right now with it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Neeksy posted:

This show is amazing. The fact that Comedy Central let her go must weigh on them heavily.

I'm sure they are kicking themselves in the teeth over it. Bee would have wreaked poo poo on the Daily Show.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think I read somewhere she wanted to stretch her wings and do her own thing. She wanted something to be hers, from the ground up. And she's earned it. And doing an amazing job.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't think anyone on TDS wanted the job, no matter how much people on the internet like to bang on about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The black lives matter movement is attacked by racists, sure.

But I think a LOT of white america has a very different view of police. Sure, they say, there's a few bad apples. A few corrupt cops running around, Vic Mackey'ing the poo poo out of some thug.

But systematic bias? Where the police actively seek out harsher penalties (lethal or otherwise) on minorities? That's beyond white america's comprehension.

• Locked thread