Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

poty posted:

I was never a big fan of Sam Bee on the Daily Show but I'm very pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying her here
I was really disappointed when she left The Daily Show. She was the best one on there at the time and better than anyone on there now (although Jordan Klepper and Jessica Williams are both pretty good, and I really like Trevor). If she had taken over as host though I feel like it would have been a loss, because her field pieces were her best stuff and I'm really glad it looks like she'll still be doing more of that type of thing on this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

I honestly thought the abortion law segment was weaker than Oliver's similar reporting.

I thought it was the best thing on the show so far. It was exactly the sort of thing that made her my favourite Daily Show correspondent. Just the one line "... What are your memes?" was enough to make the whole segment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I'm actually surprised she didn't make a bit about the "white people don't know what it's like to be poor and live in a ghetto" thing I've seen a bunch of Bernie Bros over at reddit losing their poo poo about.
I assume that if you produce one of these shows you have to be thinking about what the others will cover. In this case "The Nightly Show will definitely go for racism angle, The Daily Show might go for the racism angle or sexism angle (and will probably expect us to go for the sexism angle), Last Week Tonight probably won't bother with either, so the sexism angle is the best one to take."

Dutchy posted:

his tone and body language is the same "grouchy old man" that it is when talking about anything to anybody at any time.
That's his biggest problem in a nutshell. It doesn't really matter since he never stood a chance anyway, but if he was in with a shot then he would seriously need to change the way he presents himself. "Old man yells at cloud" is not the image you need to project if you want people to vote for you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Majorian posted:

Loved the David Silverman at CPAC thing.

I thought that was one of the weakest segments on the show so far. Why the German gimmick? What was that about? And the whole thing was kind of slow and dull and not very funny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The problem is, none of these are any more shocking than bragging about sexual assault so I doubt they'll really make a splash.

The "it's just words" defence won't work any more though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Generic American posted:

Colbert's been a LOT better lately, but man, there were a few times where I got sick of his new Very Serious Person interview tone. Like when he had Ted Cruz on as a guest and the audience booed once he started answering every question with transparent bullshit of the highest grade. Cue Colbert chastising the audience for disrespecting his guest.

If you invite someone onto your show and then allow your audience to openly disrespect them, not only will it mean they and others will be less likely to come on your show in future, it's also just a lovely thing to do. If that's how you feel, don't pretend you're going to have a reasonable discussion, just don't invite them on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shlomo Palestein posted:

The Mr. Robot skit fell flat on me as well (despite having some good points), but that might just be because I never saw Mr. Robot so the parody went right over me...? I fear it's just because it wasn't all that well done.
I enjoyed it and I also like Mr Robot, but I don't think having seen Mr Robot really had anything to do with enjoying the skit, it wasn't really a parody of that show specifically (even if it kind of pretended to be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

Bee's sarcasm doesn't really strike me as subtle. Haven't seen the episode yet, though.

It's not subtle at all, the segment is highly critical of Conway and makes a point of how interviewers just let her get away with blatantly not answering questions.

• Locked thread