Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

She didn't get interrupted, she got asked to wait her turn, just like she would do if Sanders started trying to steamroll her during her time (which Hillary was doing repeatedly).

See, I have no problem accepting that "wait your turn" is going to sound a little more loaded towards a woman than a man, even if I totally think Bernie didn't mean anything sexist by it.

It's really just a matter of recognizing that something you said or did bothered a bunch of people and instead of fighting and telling them they're wrong taking a step back and asking if maybe there's something there you just aren't seeing and if it's really worth fighting against. Adjust and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, dude is just a mirror reflection of the intolerant religious they're complaining about persecuting atheists. Its totally fine for you to be an atheist. But being a total rear end in a top hat to people isn't going to win over too many people.

He just makes the "bless your heart" people seem totally reasonable because that's a nice way to deal with a douchebag who is insulting you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Full Frontal got put aside in my post Election "stop obsessing over the news to dig myself out of depression" period but now that I think I'm mostly past that I really need to get myself back into the show. But yeah, when you're not watching it for awhile you kind of forget its a thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't really compare Noah to Bee or Oliver because even though they're doing the same thing they're doing it in a totally different way. Daily Show's producing 4x as much content and spinning it out faster. So I fully expect Bee and Oliver to have more polished and fleshier pieces, and just the best stuff they worked on all week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She's mastered the art of telling a lie that's juuuuuuuust close enough to a meaningless truth/nonsense that you and she clearly know its bullshit but she'll never admit it. She just sits there saying more nonsense until her interviewer either lose their cool or just give up.

I kind of want to see her set on fire on live TV.

She's not smart or clever. She's just a shameless and coy liar.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I take her anger at Bernie and the theoretically "Bernie Bros" who didn't vote for Hillary as the same kind of thing when she used to get angry at Obama voters for not turning out in 2010. She's upset at people who think its about one politician (whether that's Obama, Bernie, Hillary, Trump, or whoever) instead of seeing the big picture. So people who theoretically supported Bernie's ideologies but didn't think there was a need to keep Trump out of office fit into the same category as people who wanted Obama to bring "hope and change" but then didn't show up for the elections that would have helped him do that.

I also think she's a comedian who specifically uses anger and disrespect as her primary tool. So we should take it in context that she's trying to get big reactions.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, if you voted for Bernie in the primary and then Hillary in the general than she's not talking about you. If you did that and you still feel like she's yelling at you that's simply your interpretation because she's clearly talking about people who voted Bernie in the primary and then didn't vote/voted someone other than Hillary in the general. If that isn't you, its not. If it is you, then yes, she's saying you're part of the problem.

Agree, disagree, but its not a rare or hard to understand argument.

I also assume she considers all the stringing out of the primary and nonsense up to the convention part of the same argument. Which again, agree or disagree, is an argument that's been made to death by now.

Ultimately whether I agree with Bee or not I find her funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like if we lose elections because a bunch of people got offended by a late night comic on once a week on TBS than we're all good and hosed already.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Echo Chamber posted:

Who's saying this?

I was directly responding to Grinning Goblin's post before mine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like Bee but her skits really aren't very good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not mad at her. She's trying to do a lot of different comedy things at once. She's nailed the Stewart angry political commentary and she does well with the correspondent pieces and interview packages. The scripted stuff is just a couple of steps behind. But that's pretty good for a year 1 where like she's probably ahead of Trevor Noah on the learning curve.* The show seems like its got a good future.

*Although I again feel the need to defend Noah on having a tougher job since he does more shows in a shorter turn around, and also doesn't have the years of familiarity and outrage about America politics that Bee and Oliver have.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like him but he's 3rd behind the three shows for me. But I think that's mostly his freshness to all this and the "daily" grind. Bee and Oliver have a week to work up their poo poo and years of experience with this stuff so I expect them to be better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mars4523 posted:

The more recent LWT have been extremely unfunny to me. But Colbert has been stepping up his game in the Age of Trump and Seth Meyers' Closer Look bits are pretty good.

I need to get around to watching Bee's Not the WHCD, but haven't gone out of my way to make time for it because the teaser bits make it look exactly as self-congratulatory as the actual WHCD.

Ultimately I like that there's so many options that I can kind of bounce back and forth between them depending on who I'm finding funny and who I'm finding tired.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought his delivery was a little rushed and off but a lot of that is probably nerves given that he was about to go to war with just every person he could think of and any line he could find.

I thought it was hilarious.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was a segment with a former Neo Nazi who runs a group that attempts to reform people and argued that a lot of them were basically drawn in for the same reason people are drawn into cults or gangs, because they're looking for acceptance, love, and a "family." So he argued that you don't change people's minds through punching them, you do it by showing them love and hugging them.

Bee did a bit about how she doesn't want to hug Nazis, she wants to hit them. Then there was a Portlandia comedy PSA about "love not hate" or something like that.

It didn't bother me but I also don't really support random violence even if I'm on antifa's side when the racists start it. And it was preceded by her pointing out the double standard from the right to not label white nationalists like Dylan Roof terrorists and how most domestic terrorism is performed by the right but the Trump Administration is turning attention and money away from combatting that. So it wasn't a "moral equivalence" segment as far as I saw.

You can judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-n3qiLeVqg

• Locked thread