Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
What I've seen from Full Frontal on youtube looks great, happy to see that the full show is starting to be available on... other places

I was never a big fan of Sam Bee on the Daily Show but I'm very pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying her here, I love the high tempo. Trevor Noah is funny too but it feels like he's doing a "Daily Show 101" in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Is there a better answer than Churchill? I guess it's kind of weird that pacifist Sanders chose one of the most celebrated wartime leaders ever, but I don't think you can go wrong with the man who risked everything standing up to Hitler and ended up leading the liberation of Western Europe.

I mean, Mandela's great and his story is moving, but what was his foreign policy?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

It's a stinker of a question to answer, but I know what the answer definitely isn't, and it definitely isn't Churchill.

The Germans never had the capability to cripple the RAF, or to successfully invade Britain even if they had. As a military strategist Churchill was completely unable to distinguish a good, insightful idea (holding fighters back from France in 1940, delaying Operation Overlord until 1944, or patronising the Landships Committee in 1915) from an ambitious one that needed a great deal more planning and forethought than he was ever prepared to allow (the Dardanelles campaign in 1915), from an utterly ridiculous shitshow that should have been burned immediately to stop anyone's mind being poisoned by it (his brief enthusiasm in early 1915 for dealing with a troublesome German cruiser by literally setting a river on fire, or his support of Operation Catherine in 1940).

It's a staggeringly illiterate thing to have said; with luck he'll be able to let it just slide on by and we'll all forget it by Super Tuesday.

Thank you for the elaborate answer. I will happily admit to not knowing much about Churchill outside WW2 and you have a well researched and interesting opinion about him.

So who would you have picked as a better answer for a foreign policy leader? Keep in mind that it must be someone the average American knows, or someone you can explain to them in 30 seconds.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

A nuvaring of bigotry.

Funny, and made me learn about birth control!

• Locked thread