Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

twerking on the railroad posted:

Is this all some sort of elaborate gently caress-you to Jimmy Fallon and NBC?

Maybe he got tired of slow-jamming the news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sivart13 posted:

I'm confused though, it didn't seem like they used the Trump one in their post-election episode?

what is even the premise of this videotape

The premise is "Wow, Gee, that Donald Trump guy is horrible, remember? And, oh yeah, Hillary is a woman. Gooo Team!"

Haha Samantha Bee sure is funny, right guys? Right?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

qsvui posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I think you guys are seriously overestimating the influence of these TV shows.

Yeah, the comedy shows are a pretty focused chorus they each preach to, with a rather limited (even with youtube) viewership and time-per-episode. And they explicitly (and selfishly safely) couch their shows as comedy, whereas things like a news channel exist 24 hours a day, and pretend that they are actually news, rather than a slightly less violent Jerry Springer show.

And the comedy shows are reactionary, they don't respond to life, they respond to the responders (namely the news shows). Except maybe Oliver.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

16 blocks is pretty far for a rich child to be driven, you know.

Jason Jones told parents not to comment or discuss things with reporters, but did he give any reason why he's opposed to the school moving? I can't find any comments save the one of him telling people he's not racist and that other parents shouldn't comment.

A Concerned Parent Not Jason Jones posted:

“There is a consideration to move the school to a neighborhood (61st and Amsterdam) that has a very different demographic makeup,” read the message, which urged residents to call their elected officials. “THIS CAN GREATLY IMPACT THE VALUE OF OUR HOMES. The great schools are part of what makes this area very desirable.”

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 14, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I don't think Oliver, Colbert, and Bee are the problem themselves, but they enabled it. When you have so many people telling you Hillary is gonna win and Trump is going down over and over it makes you feel more confident in what's gonna happen and less likely to feel line your vote will really matter

Does COlbert have any bite anymore as a late night host? I watched a show or two and found them incredibly ... bland. Some movie star interviews were amusing, but nothing like the Report.

I would think a majority of people listening to the Sam Bee/Daily Show/Weekly Report would be more likely to vote to begin with.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sivart13 posted:

The overwhelming sentiment of these shows was "PLEASE VOTE"; I'd like to see some evidence of someone who saw that and chose apathy before I believe it was a real trend.

You can't be asking that. You should've learned by now not to trust any polls. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Generic American posted:

Colbert's been a LOT better lately, but man, there were a few times where I got sick of his new Very Serious Person interview tone. Like when he had Ted Cruz on as a guest and the audience booed once he started answering every question with transparent bullshit of the highest grade. Cue Colbert chastising the audience for disrespecting his guest.

I mean, I can sympathize with the logic there of not wanting to scare away potential guests in the future and don't want to hold it against him too much... but that still felt super gross. :ohdear:

Like Jimmy Fallon petting Donald Trump's hair, instead of, you know, asking why he's such a racist piece of poo poo. Ohhh better days. :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

I sensed a hint of sarcasm in that segment.

Bee's sarcasm doesn't really strike me as subtle. Haven't seen the episode yet, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

My point is, that faint praise is still 100% too much praise. I'm tired of the narrative that Conway is a good campaign strategist, because she really isn't. Trump's win was pretty independent of Conway, IMO.

Was his win? Why do you say that? What was she not involved with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I wonder if the treatment and eventual exclusion of Obama's volunteer GOTVers by the DNC led to a lot fo them just not going to vote for hillary.
I could imagine feeling betrayed by Obama and his centrist corporatism, and the DNCs failure to provide any foil against the GOP.

• Locked thread