Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think I've ever seen Sam Bee angrier than I did last night. You could tell she was barely holding it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's nothing new for a late night program though.

With DVRs, the internet, show tracking apps, on screen guides, on demand, and YouTube; complaints about not being able to follow shows ring a bit hollow.

Try going back 25 years and tracking when a first run syndicated show is on and new if you want real frustration.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The problem is, none of these are any more shocking than bragging about sexual assault so I doubt they'll really make a splash.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tiggum posted:

The "it's just words" defence won't work any more though.

You are trying to apply logic to these people.

They will just say they are telling lies and are being paid off to spread them.

Nothing short of physical evidence so egregious that he is arrested will escalate the situation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've been loving Full Frontal, but I'm having anxiety about watching tonight's episode. Colbert's Showtime special and TDS broke me last night. It wasn't expressions of disappointment of the loss, it was the genuine undercurrent of fear. Not rage and hate masqueraded as fear, but honest to goodness "shaken to the core I don't know if I even have a future" fear.

It is tough watching that. Satire doesn't ease it. Jokes are inadequate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In the last 4-6 months or so, Colbert has basically revived the Report on late night. The only difference is there's no character.

I mean, at one point recently he actually invited Trump to suck his balls but said that he probably couldn't since his mouth was probably full from Putin's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byP7XvzFqRc&t=446s

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 14, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rerunning the refugee piece was important in the same way John Oliver running down all the orgs that need donations.

It's easy to wallow in our own misery right now, but there's a ton of others that are going to be impacted far worse. Anything that can be done to raise awareness of that and help is worthwhile.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That Glenn Beck interview was something else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The general point is that we are all going to have to reach out to unlikely bedfellows in order to limit the damage of what's coming.

Glenn Beck is a wackado nutjob that contributed to getting us where we are today, but even he's gazing into the abyss and not liking what he's seeing.

Ironically, Trump's greatest achievement may in fact be unifying people. It's just that they are going to unify against him to ensure there's something left after 4 years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tiggum posted:

It's not subtle at all, the segment is highly critical of Conway and makes a point of how interviewers just let her get away with blatantly not answering questions.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can watch that segment and have the takeaway that the 'Conway is awesome.' Sam slammed the hell out of her for evading questions and complete flipping on her earlier narrative. She did say that she did a great job of getting the walking Cheeto elected and that she should have instead used that energy for a bid herself, but that's damning praise at best.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Logic in any analysis goes right out the window when you realize that a non-zero number of people voted for a guy that openly admitted to sexual assault.

We're broken, at a fundamental level, and it's really hard to see a path forward at this point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm still not convinced that anyone other than Obama or Biden could have defeated Trump this round, no matter how the campaign was run.

Either of the Democratic picks would have caused scores on the other side to sit at home out of apathy or spite. Meanwhile, Trump would continue to say anything anyone wanted to hear and the media would give him an unchecked podium.

Allowing him to spout what verbal diarrhea he wanted without fact checking lended legitimacy to what he was saying and we might be too far beyond the tipping point to correct now.

gently caress the Republicans for not keeping their house in order too. Trump should have never gotten to the nomination stage. They were so scared of losing their party by alienating his supporters that they lost their party to the likes of Bannon and may never get it back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bystander effect may work in some cases, but painting it as a major cause will cause the next election to be lost too.

For example, I would point to Luzerne county in PA. It's traditionally democratic leaning. The last republican to carry the county in a presidential election was Bush 1988. 59.26% of the voters are registered Democrat.

Voter turnout in 2012 - 123,741 51.7% Obama / 46.8% Romney
Voter turnout in 2016 - 134,983 58.29% Trump / 38.86% Clinton

This is a county that twice voted for Obama, voted for John Kerry, and voted for Al Gore. However, Trump ran the gently caress away with the county with the highest margin since loving Nixon.

There is something fundamentally wrong there and it wasn't voter turnout.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I live near Pittsburgh so I was mostly insulated from that.

Though, you prove my point to a bit. Even with that vitriol, Hilary still won in your country. Not to the margin that Dems usually win, but she won. She got 10k fewer votes than Obama, but Trump got 13k more votes than Romney. Even if every single person that voted for Obama and not for Hilary voted for Trump, a further 3k people turned out to vote specifically for Trump. That's were the attention needs to be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ithle01 posted:

I thought it was clear that I was agreeing with you that there is something fundamentally wrong here. And there is a pretty distinct possibility my county goes red in the future which was previously unthinkable.

Ah, got you. Yeah, I thought you were getting at it being a personality thing purely.

The jobs thing is frustrating. I live where the rust belt transformation did happen. It can happen. I hate hearing people wanting to go backwards. I know that steel mill job sounds good to you when you are underemployed, but you really don't want THAT job. Demand better. Besides, it's that mill is never coming back. It doesn't matter how many environmental regulations they slash or tariffs they put in place, those mills are never reopening. They are outdated hollowed out husks. Even if it was economically feasible to rebuild from scratch, it would be done with more automation and only a fraction of the former workers would be employed.

I'm waiting for that shoe to drop with the carmakers being forced to invest in US factories instead of going over the border. They're just going to invest that money to modernize and cut further jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's on my DVR, just haven't gotten around to watching it. Being a full hour has kept me from sitting down and watching it.

• Locked thread