Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Ugh, I love this show, but the thing about Sanders talking over Hillary was really disingenuous. I'm no paranoid Clinton-hater, but poo poo like that's just flat-out dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

meristem posted:

I think she told it like it is. It can get extremely triggering after years and years of getting the same poo poo over and over again. Especially the finger part.

Sure, and it did look terrible out of context. But Clinton was kind of trying to steamroll him, and they are running for president. It kind of feels like Sanders can't get a word in edgewise without being called out as sexist or mansplainy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

meristem posted:

Sure he can. Drop the finger. That's what makes him look so condescending.

I'm speaking from the position of someone who is not a politician and still had to go through a lot of body language coaching. I don't really see why a politician shouldn't, if it calls the attention of a lot of people.

That's totally fair; it was pretty poorly handled by Sanders. I don't think it's fair for her surrogates to make as much of it as they have, but he also shouldn't have gotten his head stuck in that particular honeypot either. My wife's an exec at the nonprofit we both work at, and it's one of those things where I can see men who are lower on the totem pole than her pointing fingers at her and using that same body language and interrupting tone of voice, and it quite understandably bothers her (and me, by extension). So I get what you're talking about, even though as a dude I obviously haven't been in that position.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

meristem posted:

Eh, fwiw, I consider this to be one of those friction incidents which inevitably come up when the culture changes.

Good way of putting it.

I still think it was a little beneath Sam to make hay of it like she did. But it's a comedy show, and I don't always expect to love every joke, so that's the way it goes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Loved the David Silverman at CPAC thing. What an incredible dickbag he is. And the fact that so many horrific young conservatives seemed to take to him is telling.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Um, I thought he seemed 90% reasonable. Is that bad?

Going up to people and telling them that their most-cherished beliefs are stupid and lies is kind of lovely. He doesn't strike me as someone who tolerates anyone believing differently from him.

e: So big surprise he found a (small) audience at CPAC!:haw:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 23, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Ughhh...I love this show, but I haven't been impressed with it for the last couple weeks. While her piece on Obama's deportation policy was fair, it seemed kind of, uh, illy-timed. I mean, the Obama White House deserves criticism in that regard, but with a week left, before President Mexiphobe comes in?

And the segment tonight on how awesome Kellyanne Conway is turned my stomach. No, Conway is not a genius. You can see that by the way she flails at answering questions. Political reporters are just really, really loving stupid. So stupid, in fact, that someone as dumb as Conway can play them.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 19, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can watch that segment and have the takeaway that the 'Conway is awesome.' Sam slammed the hell out of her for evading questions and complete flipping on her earlier narrative. She did say that she did a great job of getting the walking Cheeto elected and that she should have instead used that energy for a bid herself, but that's damning praise at best.

My point is, that faint praise is still 100% too much praise. I'm tired of the narrative that Conway is a good campaign strategist, because she really isn't. Trump's win was pretty independent of Conway, IMO.

I wasn't suggesting that Bee said Conway is a good person, in other words. I just don't buy that Conway is particularly good at her job, either.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VagueRant posted:

I think you should stop worrying about the optics and "the narrative" so much, dude. None of it matters.

Bear in mind, you're saying this to someone who expressed an offhand opinion on an online message board. It's not like I'm trying to get a "#boycottSamBee" thing started.

quote:

They shouldn't be going over every line of their pieces worried that people will misconstrue them as scoring points for The Other Guy or that they're misshaping the media narrative.

Nor did I suggest that they were. I was complaining about a broader part of the narrative that a lot of people were doing before Sam Bee, and a lot of people have done since that piece came out. It annoys me that people think Conway is some sort of brilliant political mastermind, because she's pretty clearly not. I wish Bee's show wouldn't reinforce that, but it's not like it's a make-or-break thing for me liking her show; I'm still gonna watch it, and I don't think that bit is going to have a major effect on the overall narrative one way or the other. I just didn't like the bit. That's all I'm saying.

e: Now THIS is a drat good episode. Powerful segment on refugees.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 2, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taran posted:

If I remember correctly, there was something about Bernie wagging his finger in Hillary's face during the primary debates, or interrupting her, or something along those lines that earned him the hatred of feminists everywhere. That plus the BernieBros meme is what keeps that going, I think.

Yeah, the "I would prefer either of these mansplaining pricks over Trump" quote was from her most recent episode, where she covers the Sanders vs Cruz in the Obamacare Arena debate.

I get the impression that, like a lot of Clinton die-hards, she still kind of blames Bernie for Clinton losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This is nonsensical, and I'm not trying to attack you for putting up this point or anything. Just, I voted for Bernie in the primary. Then, when the general came around, I voted for Hillary, because the alternative was Donald fuckin' Trump. I'm sure millions felt the same way. Hillary failed to turn out Obama voters. That's the mystery to be investigated.

Yeah, we're on the same page on all of this. It's frustrating to see someone like Sam, who I respect, (unconsciously) taking such a dumb perspective. I can understand at least a bit of her revulsion with some Bernie supporters, though - even today, months after the election, she gets poo poo thrown at her day and night by people claiming to do so in Bernie's name. A lot of them are probably just right-wingers pretending to be Bernies, but still, I think we actual Bernies need to do a better job of policing our own ranks.

Even so, yeah, Sam should know better than to take it out on Bernie personally, or the broader mass of his supporters.

• Locked thread