Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

I honestly thought the abortion law segment was weaker than Oliver's similar reporting.

But the black history month and girl scout bits had a very clear message and were hilarious too.

The election coverage was next level though. Instead of "LOL Trump is Bad!" jokes we got "You loving dumbasses did this by sleeping in six years ago". Which is a smart, smart angle to take.

Yeah, it was a really clever angle. And while I really like Last Week Tonight and John Oliver, this show is much funnier then Oliver's. But Oliver's ability to take an issue and boil it down in such a concise format makes up for any mediocre jokes. Likewise, I think Bee's consistently funny writing makes up for any factual details lost in her segments. Both shows are great for different reasons, and neither makes the other seem redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Drifter posted:

The premise is "Wow, Gee, that Donald Trump guy is horrible, remember? And, oh yeah, Hillary is a woman. Gooo Team!"

Haha Samantha Bee sure is funny, right guys? Right?
Trump is horrible, Clinton is a woman, and Bee is funny. Those things are all reality.

Decius posted:

No, it was the right thing. A feminist woman, making a clearly feminist comedy show, cheering on a woman who has the chance to be US President? I would have been extremely disappointed if she didn't root for her, despite her numerous flaws. Especially running against a clear misogynist who thinks of women as objects and alleged rapist.
I agree with this. Clinton's "flaws" were that she simply wasn't engaging enough, and frankly, I find that to be a flaw of the American people more than Clinton as a person (though obviously, the Democrats need to retool their future messaging strategy to reflect the data learned from this election). Her platform was suitably liberal, she was prepared, and she had massive experience. Also, her opponent was a literal rapist. Bee made the right choice in championing her aggressively, and this never actually compromised her ability to be funny, as Full Frontal was the most consistently funny of any of the faux news shows.

Dr Christmas posted:

Samantha Bee seemed to get that Trump was dangerous and not a joke before John Oliver did, and definitely before either host of TDS or Colbert. The way she went about her Clinton cheerleading was pretty bad, though.
While I disagree with your latter point, you're absolutely correct that Bee got the danger of Trump better than her peers. Oliver was particularly late in understanding the severity of the situation.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 14, 2016

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Vodos posted:

Clinton and the media (and I'm including Sam here) could have destroyed Trump if they pointed out his own corruption (like donating 25k to get a 90+ million tax rebate) and how he kept gaming the system while constantly failing at being a businessman. But that would have exposed both the system they're so desperately clinging to and their own corruption, so they instead stuck to pointing out his sexism and racism, which did nothing to discourage his supporters from voting for him.
Many members of the media did point out his corruption. It turned out his cult of personality was immune to it. I can't recall if Bee did explicitly because I'm in a Trump-fugue state, but his vile corruption was obvious, and was ignored by the electorate.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Decius posted:

Liberal as in "social liberal", like allowing gay and trans people and anyone who loving pleases live their lives according to their plans, with the same rights as everyone else. Allowing women to make decisions about their own body, making sure minorities get the same chances at life. The basic stuff that generally defines liberal outside of economics (without verging too far into the libertarian territory).
She had leftist social and economic views. Were the latter as left as I would've preferred? No. But she was still the only choice available to us in 2016's general election.

The path forward for the Democrats is pretty clearly to go more economically liberal, and pair that with a candidate who can deliver messages well. It's abundantly obvious now that no matter how bad the opposition gets, people can't be relied on to vote "negatively" en masse.

• Locked thread