Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VagueRant posted:

The Black History bit was good too. Although it's ridiculously infuriating that not only do Americans not understand what's happening to black people over there...The TITLE of the movement to educate about it is CONSTANTLY misunderstood. (By idiots.)

It's willful misunderstanding, because here in America white people tend to interpret any kind of minority pride, specifically black pride, as a personal attack on their whiteness.

IRQ posted:

I think this show did a better job than most at trying to explain why "all lives matter" is misguided. But I don't think people saying that are necessarily saying it from a place of racism so much as a place of trying to acknowledge things loving over everyone, like income inequality (which is certainly a huge part of the systemic racism), without realizing that it diminishes the point.

Isn't it really strange, though, that "Black Lives Matter" is the only situation in which you could state that something matters and people would assume you think it's the only thing that matters?

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I don't think that's the case though, people are constantly confusing addressing one issue with ignoring all others. Like, for example, people bitching about cops doing traffic enforcement when they "should" be spending their time catching rapists and murderers. Or why is [legislative body] talking about carbon emissions instead of the price of gas. Or animal rights people being accused of not caring about advances in medicine. Or criminal justice reform people being accused of not caring about victims. People fixate on poo poo.

Comparing it to those examples is like apples and oranges. I have heard BLM referred to as a "hate group" for gently caress's sake.
The average white person's skewed perception of what "racism" is is especially galling when you remember things like this were a regular, acceptable thing that existed within living memory of many people. Sorry, I can't accept that most "All Lives Matter" are misguided Archie Bunker types, this is the kind of thing you have to deliberately bury your head in the sand to not understand.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Not true at all. Say the words "violence against women" to the right dudes and you'll get a face load of butthurt about how nobody ever cares when men are victims of violent crime.

Which follows the same pattern of "taking a set of circumstances that are unique in some ways to a certain group and making it all about yourself instead of actually addressing those circumstances as a problem"

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 3, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

The black lives matter movement is attacked by racists, sure.

But I think a LOT of white america has a very different view of police. Sure, they say, there's a few bad apples. A few corrupt cops running around, Vic Mackey'ing the poo poo out of some thug.

This is a reasonable, if misinformed view to take. But the thing I seem to see over and over is that the "bad apples" are vociferously defended under the premise that "they're not all bad apples," and that daring to demand accountability for those bad apples somehow paints you as "anti-police." You see this a lot in cases of representatives of large police organizations too, like just last month where Beyonce dancing aggressively was perceived as some kind of "anti-police" slight to the point where the Miami FOP president called for police to not provide security for her shows (not having actually seen the performance in question, natch, which contributes to my "willful ignorance" stance) or the response to Quentin Tarantino taking part in a protest against police brutality and saying "yo police, stop murdering dudes" being calling for a boycott of his movies and making vague threats of a "surprise" for him, which sounds totally rational and doesn't make the police sound like a giant loving gang at all.

And then of course there's this old gem that shows what happens to the "good cops."

I don't know why people find this so surprising or offensive though, when the concept of "dirty cops" and the one "clean cop you can trust" in an entire corrupt organization of dirty cops has been a pop culture meme for decades.

Narcissus1916 posted:

But systematic bias? Where the police actively seek out harsher penalties (lethal or otherwise) on minorities? That's beyond white america's comprehension.

This is also an interesting point, because often when you highlight these injustices against minorities, rather than getting the response of "yeah, that's hosed up and shouldn't happen to anyone regardless of race" you get the "taking your problem and making it all about me" phenomenon in the form of "well here's an article of a white guy getting roughed up, where's the protests for him?" And it's a good question, why the gently caress aren't they out there protesting it? The answer is because they don't actually give a poo poo and they're being intellectually dishonest, and they can't let go of the cognitive dissonance of "nothing bad will happen to you if you're not doing anything wrong."

Echo Chamber posted:

I like Sam Bee's show.
I like John Oliver's show.
I like Trevor Noah's show.
I like Colbert's show.
I even like Larry Wilmore's show.

I think I'm doing it wrong.

I like all of them to a certain extent as well. The first segment where Colbert's doing anything resembling TCR is the only part I really like out of the Late Show, and the first segment of Nightly usually isn't bad as long as he doesn't bring out any of his shitawful supporting cast to do their unfunny skits. I gave up on the panel segment months ago.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 4, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Speaking of Craig, his new show on History is... Alright. Not amazing but it's nice to see him doing his thing again. Needs more gay robot skeleton though :(

Whatever is left of Geoff is probably locked away in a closet somewhere in the CBS studio complex :(

• Locked thread