Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, I'm officially giving up on The Daily Show. I hate to do it and I've nothing against Noah, but oh my god, Sam is making those guys look like boring garbage. Maybe it's because it's fresh, but I'm even enjoying Full Frontal (terrible title, by the way) more than Last Week Tonight.

The second she called Mitch McConnel a chinless dildo, and referred to Bernie as both a human Che Guevara shirt and a cantankerous windmill - I was like gently caress yeah.

And just when I figured the show was going to be an ultra mean, venomous, purely comic commentary with no serious (or vaguely journalistic) implications, she hits you with a real Syria piece.

This is some good poo poo.

Pillow Hat posted:

Yeah I'm a Bernie supporter and I thought he completely failed the leadership question. In addition to the point Samantha made, he also inexplicably named FDR and then talked exclusively about his domestic policy which is not what the question was.
I was more shocked that the noted Conservative, racist, sexist, sacrificing-Coventry, Winston Churchill was namedropped by Bernie. He seems like the anti-Bernie. Context?

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Loved that first segment about 2010. "they don't like the president's...height", "redder than Carrie's dress on prom night", "speaking of C words: Mitch McConnel!"

The Black History bit was good too. Although it's ridiculously infuriating that not only do Americans not understand what's happening to black people over there...The TITLE of the movement to educate about it is CONSTANTLY misunderstood. (By idiots.)

The abortion bit was obviously hampered by how in depth John Oliver had gone on the subject, but the fact that it's still Sam going out and doing these field pieces really makes them work. EDIT: "should we regulate back alleys because..."

I thought Last Week Tonight stepped it up on Sunday after some "good enough" episodes the past couple weeks, but then Sam Bee came in and crushed it again.

Pillow Hat posted:

God drat we needed a woman to host one of these shows so badly.
I didn't even realise how much this mattered.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Pillow Hat posted:

This isn't a misunderstanding, it is a deliberate decision by people who choose not to believe activists bringing attention to extant racism.
I'm sure there's plenty of wilfully ignorant folks (hah, did I just sound like Obama?) out there, but I've seen quite a few instances of people being convinced when someone broke down the whole Black Lives Matter thing to them (cliff notes: append "too" at the end of the slogan) and going "ohhhhh."

It's probably a bit like how having a gay relative suddenly makes homophobes go "oh, gays are actually human too?"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't like the whole amped-up anger tone of the show.
This is the exact reason I like the show.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm more annoyed with Bernie for dodging questions and just repeating his talking points like a...a republican. :smith: He did it more than just the time Sam called him out for, he also did it when asked why he didn't vote to bail out the auto industry.

By the way, what did that nutty lady throw at Sam's face?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yes, you're tumblr. I feel like this is the kind of dragged out argument about semantics that makes idiots froth at the mouth ranting about "Social Justice Warriors". (EDIT: oh cool, there's a weird forums censor for the abbreviation.)

But you gotta love how Democratic debates have people going THIS granular in their discussions, whereas Republican debates are "poop fart lie" and it's par for the course. What a loving joke.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ted Cruz bit was funnier, but yeah...poo poo, man.

America, you did this to yourselves.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

The Trump supporter bit just furthered my belief that all long-haired blonde ladies are innately conservative.

CNN, Fox News, this bit, it's a bunch of pretty blonde women saying horrendous things.
pretty blonde dudes are flocking to Trump too. Dunno what it is about Aryans...

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Rape kit bit was top tier Sam Bee. While John Oliver's show feels a little more well rounded, it's peak moments like that that have Sam as my fave right now. Also what the actual gently caress?

Majorian posted:

Loved the David Silverman at CPAC thing. What an incredible dickbag he is. And the fact that so many horrific young conservatives seemed to take to him is telling.
Um, I thought he seemed 90% reasonable. Is that bad?

Eiba posted:

Also echoing the lack of love for the whole "Can you believe what his supporters believe?" panel style. I mean, if it was ever justified it would be with Trump supporters, but it's way too hard to make it clear that you're not just cherry picking the most outrageous things, which can make any candidate's supporters look bad.

I imagine Trump supporters are indeed a special kind of terrible, but that format isn't really evidence of that. And more importantly, it's just more embarrassing than funny to me, though that's obviously just a personal preference.
Yeah, but it's funny when they say crazy poo poo. I see where you're coming from, but Sam isn't trying to present "evidence", she's not trying to convince people or be a journalist, she's doing a hilarious angry comedy show.

Like "it's way too hard to make it clear that you're not just cherry picking the most outrageous things" is not a thing that matters. To me, at least.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
"Hey, cool it on the online harassment. These aren't female gamers. They're actual people."

Ohhh, how I missed this show. Glad it's back, I was worried it was on a serious hiatus.

The Eddie The Eagle bit showing how easy it is to buy guns was great...and completely terrifying!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Pillow Hat posted:

I understand why other progressive people support HRC over him.
I have absolutely no idea why they do.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The whole swell of anti-Bernie sentiment is making me really said, especially from my favourite female comedians. Cameron Esposito got me to listen to Harmontown again and her being a hardcore Clinton fangirl both boggles my mind and makes me uncomfortable. Aaand I'm not even American.

Anyway, the abortion filmmaker was interesting. And the vape thing was...huh. I mean I kinda thought all the lines about vaping being douchey were kinda mean but looking at that convention footage, holy poo poo...

edit: lol election word filter on the forums.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Surprised that Jon Stewart cameo didn't get any posts.

And on a less funny note, the military rape stuff makes me SO ANGRY.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Everybody should be watching this show.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
John Oliver is angry all the time. It's just that his way of expressing anger is a "Can you believe it?!" whereas Sam's is "gently caress YOU!"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I could do without the dodgy bus "sketches". I'm assuming and hoping that's what they cut out of the clips.

But man, interviews with casual Trump supporters are literally terrifying. It's easy to write off the super passionate loons who hold signs at rallies, but the people just in their own element, living and working and casually hating their own gender? That poo poo is chilling.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Consistently appalled by the lack of attention this show gets. (Especially when I'm trying to figure out WHEN it's even on - the scheduling has been my biggest problem with the show.)

Regardless of her ardent pro-Hillary bent, you have to admit that of all the political comedy shows, Sam's just has the best gags. Plus that part where the woman asked the Trump supporter "what IS his plan?" and her eyes rolled into the back of her skull and she froze like a computer encountering an error for like a full twenty seconds.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I meant more the random weeks (months?) off.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I eat up this rage. This rage is my jam. And that was PEAK Sam Bee rage.

I liked when they trotted out the "I am related to a female human in some way and so I think what Trump said is bad" bit she just went straight to "Oh, go gently caress yourself."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Sam Bee does an exposé on Russian trolls and lands an (albeit fluffy) interview with Obama. Still no one talks about her show. But the endless Last Week Tonight argument cycle continues. :smith:

Obama is finally doing Bill Maher's show this week too. His last few months are gettin' weird.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Majorian posted:

While her piece on Obama's deportation policy was fair, it seemed kind of, uh, illy-timed. I mean, the Obama White House deserves criticism in that regard, but with a week left, before President Mexiphobe comes in?

Majorian posted:

My point is, that faint praise is still 100% too much praise. I'm tired of the narrative that Conway is a good campaign strategist, because she really isn't. Trump's win was pretty independent of Conway, IMO.
I think you should stop worrying about the optics and "the narrative" so much, dude. None of it matters.

It's a comedy show (I know, I know) and it's all fair game. They shouldn't be going over every line of their pieces worried that people will misconstrue them as scoring points for The Other Guy or that they're misshaping the media narrative. That's not their burden, and don't put it on them. Both Bee and JOliver are foremost there to provide comedy and while they also hit you with fact-based, comedy-slanted mini-documentaries where they visit Syrian refugees - it's up to the actual news to provide journalism and not mishandle the narrative, even if they're failing at it miserably.

I could add caveats and clarifications to this originally small post all day, but to try and put it clearly: the comedians can provide useful information, but they don't shape elections and expecting them to do things like not criticise Hilary Clinton during an election because people are scared their jokes will tip all the undecideds into the Trump camp - is very unfair and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It was moving and I'm glad to have closure on it, but it honestly made me MORE angry and distressed that there was that much maddening work to get such a sensible thing done. So many needless layers of bullshit. And one terrible senator gets to block a thing the house passed like what.

Anyway, show is still great and tragically underrated.

• Locked thread