Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
A significant percentage of white Americans literally think that discrimination against white people is currently as bad as against black people, and this becomes a majority when you're talking about Republicans. When you hear a Fox News talking head say "All Lives Matter", they're doing so as an attack generally on race-based social justice politics. The idea that white supremacy and anti-black prejudice is no longer an issue worth tackling politically is a mainstream part of Republican politics.

"All Lives Matter" is an effective political statement to the conservative movement because it alludes to the mainstream "post-racial" position of GOP politics. It's not intended to be coherent as a rebuttal to BLM's concerns as we understand them, it's intended to be a good-sounding way of affirming your belief in this post-racial reality, in which all people are essentially treated equally.

The GOP believes the concerns of BLM to be petty, so when they say "All Lives Matter", it's a coded way to say "we all are having a tough time, stop asking for special treatment", an incredibly popular sentiment among white conservatives. On the surface it's a feel-good, basically meaningless pro-social mantra. Dig a little deeper, and it becomes "If You Don't Want To Be Shot By Police, Stop Stealing Things, Blacks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I guess I'm jaded (hi, I turned 18 during Bill Clinton's first campaign), but the mere fact that there are excited young people with relatively uninformed support for their candidate is never news. Those panels were never my favorite bit on TDS, either, though.

But they didn't have uninformed support, a lot of them were clearly informed, that was the point of the segment. It was about the appeal of Trump amongst the relatively informed.

• Locked thread