Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
This show is great. It's ridiculous she wasn't approached about hosting TDS, but I'm also glad she got this opportunity to do her own thing without being chained to a pre-existing format.

Restricting streaming to people with cable logins is the worst, though. The stream also looks terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I might pay the $20 for the season pass. If they follow a similar schedule to Last Week Tonight that comes out to less than a dollar per episode, which isn't crazy.

Have they said how many episodes there will be in season 1?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Episode is not up yet on the season pass and the tbs stream is soooo bad arghh

Disappointed to learn there are only 13 episodes scheduled, but it seems like they could choose to keep going if the show does well, hopefully without too long of a break in between?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

I like what I've seen of this show (just the second episode but still). It's like The Daily Show before Jon Stewart got less funny and more angry, although watching so much horrible crap for a show that aired four days a week most weeks will grind on anyone. I think the once-a-week format is better at preventing outrage fatigue.

Every progressive-sounding thing that Donald Trump believes in will be thrown out the window come the general election and you'd be a fool to think otherwise. Yes, that includes his belief that Canada might have a point with this whole single-payer healthcare thing. Not long ago he was saying that the rich need to pay more in taxes, but then he came up with a tax plan that would hilariously benefit the rich and add trillions to the deficit.

Where the gently caress is Sirhan Sirhan when you need him?

It sort of seems like it would go the other way, wouldn't it? In the general he'll try to appear more moderate, not less.

I feel like he gets away with saying semi-progressive things because people really aren't as conservative as they think they are. He knows how to frame things so that the emotional appeal is still there. Like, he can get away with calling the Iraq War a mistake because he also has that godawful "ban all Muslims.... temporarily" plan.

Basically, he can use technical details (PP does more than abortion) to distance himself from the establishment, while still saying awful poo poo (his frequent misogyny) and attract the same audience the GOP usually does.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

A mod needs to do it.

I think you can PM them a request, though.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Racists actually understand systemic racism very well, they just think it's a thing that targets white people. They have it backwards.

The concept is not "too complicated" for them, it's basically the cornerstone of their world view.

Willful ignorance is a harsh phrase, I think. These people are racist, but I think they honestly believe their racist ideals. That's why they can't see systemic racism for what it is, and that's why education is the way forward. Shove reality down their throats until they understand the logic of why they're wrong, and they WILL change their minds. No one wants to be wrong.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Pillow Hat posted:

I'm not disagreeing, but can you explain a little more what you mean by this? Are you referring, for example, to white people who think Affirmative Action has cost them success?

Yes. They think affirmative action costs them success, they think "PC culture" unfairly silences white voices, they think BLM causes a dehumanization of police, leading to a reckless disregard for their safety.

It's silly to say these concepts are too nuanced or complex for them to understand. They demonstrate over and over again that they not only understand them, they believe in them. They just have it backwards.

Still, I don't like the "willful ignorance" label. I think these beliefs, though wrong, are held earnestly.

I mean, I get it. If you handed someone an informative pamphlet clearly explaining the facts that white people are not disadvantaged, you wouldn't instantly change their mind. Their reaction would probably be emotional rejection, and that's frustrating. But people aren't robots, they aren't perfect rational beings, and they aren't 100% in control of their emotions.

This is the part where my argument gets dangerously close to tone-policing, but that's not what I'm trying to say. Well, okay, maybe it is, a little bit. You catch more flies with honey, etc. But whatever approach you want to use, I think the reality is that racists are absolutely capable of understanding systemic racism, because they already do. This is, in a weird way, good news, because it means there is hope!! (I think.)

I am, like you, a white person who can never fully understand what it's like to be the victim of racism, though. But I try my best to, and this is where I'm at right now with it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I like the acidic tone. I love deadpan, but this isn't a fake news show. It's a straight-up editorial piece, and the aggression sells the humor.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Honestly I like the slightly different tones each Stewart alumni has brought. Oliver is basically one step away from journalism, with well reasoned and well researched think pieces. Sam Bee brings the righteous anger and the CAN YOU FCKING BELIEVE OUR COUNTRY tone that Stewart honed over the years. And Noah has done an amiable job of giving me four shows a week, with a nascent comedic voice that I hope grows into something special.

Colbert's show is still aggressively apolitical, which saddens me so very much.

I've recently gone back to TDS and I think Trevor Noah is already finding his voice. They lost my interest for a while there, but the recent episodes I watched were all really good!

But yeah, Colbert's show is the most disappointing. I don't even watch YouTube clips anymore. The classic late night format bores the crap out of me.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

A lot of people have latched on to the "finger wag" moment. It seems to have seriously struck a nerve. I can't speak for Sam Bee but I'm pretty sure it wasn't throw-away joke fodder to her.

Watching liberal hero Bernie get called out for it, and Bernie-loving liberal men try to hand-wave it away, is very interesting. His comment on race was another moment like this that's getting a similar reaction.

I mean, as a white male who voted for Bernie, I was also really annoyed about the finger wag controversy at first. "Oh, she got interrupted? At a debate!!??? That's never happened to anyone before, especially never to any MALE candidates!!"

But it's stupid to dismiss something that has struck a nerve the way this did. Like, yeah, interrupting people at debates is how things go, but when Bernie does it to Hillary it has an extra meaning layered on top of it. You can't just stick your head in the sand and ignore that.

It's always weird to catch yourself doing something that you're constantly attacking others for.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

IRQ posted:

She didn't get interrupted, she got asked to wait her turn, just like she would do if Sanders started trying to steamroll her during her time (which Hillary was doing repeatedly). I don't get it, he did what any politician at a debate would do to any other that tried to jack their time. I understand the lens this show is making jokes through, but I can't figure out how you frame this as anything other than, you know, poo poo that happens in a debate.

Well the specific imagery of the finger wag and the phrasing (EXCUSE ME, I'M TALKING) is pretty condescending, especially coming from a man to a woman. It's also apparently a very common thing for women to hear, which is why it struck a nerve.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

But they are objectively wrong, is the thing. It was not Hillary's turn to speak, and debates are a fight for time as much as anything else. I'm all for taking this poo poo into account in most situations, but when the actual facts and context of the matter don't support the reaction in the least then no poo poo folks are going to have a hard time taking it seriously and little gut reactions shouldn't trump the actual reality of the situation - Hillary was trying to steamroll him, and Sanders put a stop to it in the same way he would have done to basically anyone.

Also, frankly, a lot of folks remember the 2008 primaries, and a lot of what rubbed people the wrong way with HRC back then has reappeared this year. Hillary's pretty much allowed to smear the poo poo out of her opponent, and if they respond with anything other than the most demure reaction possible, the "sexist" label starts getting doled out. It's grating and largely disingenuous, with legitimate feelings being latched onto and co-opted to push a political narrative. Hell, this same poo poo happened with the last debate as well, with Sanders responding to yet another smear with an annoyed voice tone and folks were gnashing their loving teeth over it and telling him to watch his tone. It was ridiculous.

I'd honestly be curious as to what a lot of Bernie's female supporters thought of it, without the lens of "he's attacking my candidate! and thus attacking me!"

Let's not pretend Hillary isn't constantly smeared for benign "mannerism" stuff, especially with regard to her gender. Claiming that she has the REAL privilege is some "all lives matter" BS.

It also seems really silly for people in this thread to try and write-off this joke as filler. Regardless of whether you agree with the message, it seemed pretty clear (though I could be wrong, obviously) that Sam Bee feels very strongly about this.

The punchline had a photoshop AND an f bomb you guys............

Admit that you disagree with the Bee, don't try to handwave her message as "filler."

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 9, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is exceptionally silly and a ridiculous loving bar to set. The fact of the matter is that no part of the actual context of the situation - again: Clinton smearing Sanders during her allotted time, him rebuking it during his time and then stopping her from taking over and dictating the remainder of that time as she attempted to do - points to sexism. There is 0 reason whatsoever to believe that Bernie would not have responded in the exact same way to, say, O'Malley using the same tactics, or that a woman trying to steamroll him is the straw that broke the camel's back, but that seems to be the implication at work.

You're right that he would have responded to O'Malley the same way, but it doesn't matter.

"Excuse me, a man is talking" is an old trope. Bernie doesn't have to be intentionally invoking it to benefit from the privilege of it. The narrative exists in people's minds that a woman interrupting a man makes her a bitch, and his phrasing played right into it, intentional or not. (Probably not intentional, obviously.)

He could have tried to be the bigger person and let her finish all of her sentences, then made his point. Pivot to make the moderators be the bad guys if they wouldn't let him finish.

Yeah, maybe that's unfair. Maybe that would make him look weak. Maybe he wouldn't get to make his points fully. But the playing field has never been equal, and reverting to the status quo is always the favored tactic of the privileged.

EDIT: Just looked in the mirror and saw a Doctor Who gif. Am I....... Tumblr?????

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 9, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Mane I'm not tumblr, maybe I'm Doctor Who!!!!!!!! 🙊🙉

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I'm glad queen bey brought you and your wife closer together pillow hat

But don't tell her you were driving around with your girlfriend when you heard it

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I think it's because he brings up Wall Street EVERY 5 SECONDS. No matter how irrelevant it is, or what question he's asked, he'll take a hard turn halfway through and yell "WALL STREET" really loud!!!

I like Bernie but as far as politicians with talking points go.... Bro, you're supposed to have more than one!!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Mo0 posted:

According to the page to get audience tickets, Full Frontal is picked up through January! Yay!

It's also off a couple weeks for Easter and the week after. Boo!

Oh, nice. That seems like a lot of episodes!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I thought that was one of the weakest segments on the show so far. Why the German gimmick? What was that about? And the whole thing was kind of slow and dull and not very funny.

I thought it was better than the first time when they did it for Jeb Bush, but I don't totally understand the German gimmick, either.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Trump is a compelling argument for super delegates.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I have absolutely no idea why they do.

It's funny because I have no idea why they don't!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

She didn't go for the low hanging fruit with the bro angle.

I'm not sure if we were supposed to laugh with or at the supporters. Or if the comedy angle was that those supporters were frustratingly not as unsympathetic as her persona wished they were. Or were they? I guess saying Hillary Clinton is corrupt or untrustworthy could be read as subtle sexism, but they seemed more pro-Bernie than anti-Hillary. Was the supporters uncritically repeating many of Sanders' talking points supposed to reveal something about them?

Whatever. I didn't feel to strongly about it. Like, we knew what we were supposed to get out of Sam's talk with the educated Trump supporters. Seems like they were still trying to figure out the Sanders bit was both while filming it and editing it.

It was endearment-condescension. She wasn't trying to wreck them like the Trump supporters, just tease them a bit for being naive. You were supposed to laugh at their obliviousness while also finding it cute.

You could tell she still liked them because the clip ended with one of the supporters making a joke at their own expense.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

They're a filthy scammer that's why

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Did this show air tonight?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Why the heck is this not on tbs.com yet

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Ausmund posted:

Stuff like the alt-right, third parties, and bernie or bust is the future, and traditional RNC and eventually DNC are on their way out

Good lord I hope not

All of those things are extremely stupid

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/02/russia-to-drop-microsoft-software/

This article popped up today, and now looking at the comments, all I can think about are those two Russian trollls.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Sam and John aren't saying anything untrue. I'm not sure what your problem with them is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Yikes this thread

• Locked thread