Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

last night i was working on a project for a client and MY GIRLFRIEND CALLED, i took the call and came back and my screen was locked (NORMAL) BUT my iCloud password WOULDNT LET ME LOG BACK IN TO MY MAC. no one had changed my password, the password worked on another device.

the next few hours involved me resetting my apple id password, my keychain being completely broken and unrecoverable, a time machine restore, and countless other attempts at recovering precious passwords over years of my keychain growing.

i had to settle for following a ton of steps to get my icloud keychain back, which is only a partial list of passwords i needed.

now i've always defended apple like a drooling loving retard but this really pissed me off. one minute i was working, next i was metaphorically crawling on my knees CJing my computer. WHY???

i am on a deadline with this project and i can't loving believe this happened. now all of my IDevices are in weird states of not being logged into iCloud and i have tofix each one individually gently caress icloud

tim, why? why is this so hard? figure out the loving INTERNET TIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

use 1password like an adult

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does 1password autofill/remember passwords for Mac apps other than browsers?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i think so? it has a separate app that ties in with the browser extensions

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nope, not mac apps at least. looks like some ios apps use the 1pass extension api, but not mac apps.

thanks for the suggestion though

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

it looks like no third party apps can do that due to sandboxing, so you're sol on that unless u use keychain

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
since this appears to be a contiuation of the password/icloud/bullshit discussion out of the NOTROLL zone, I've never personally had these problems on my ipad/rmbp

my dad does, he's fully apple'd, last-gen macbook air, iphone 6s mega, ipad mini 4

it's annoying as gently caress

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lol forever of remote authentation of your login credentials on a personal machine

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i mean, i just copy paste app logins from 1password, its not that hard

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when are they finally going to put touchid on a macintosh

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Glad to see your AIDS is in remission OP.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i log into my windows 8 computer with my microsoft account... but i never have to type a password, because i just use the convenient touchscreen to enter my Picture Password.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
backup your keychain i mean cmon.

make ~/Library/Keychains/ sync with drop box or something idk. That way when it happens again you just have to reimport it and maybe rename it at the most.

This happens to me all of the time; I learned very quickly that associating your login account to iCloud forces you to enter a world of pain when things don't work right. The argument against storing your keychain in multiple (offsite) locations is probably Bad Security. idc beats losing all my passwords.

ever get locked out because you only have one apple device and now its not authorized anymore and you cant get into your account because what you need to do is only allowed from authorized devices and you just say gently caress it and do a time machine backup and oh hey its trying to login to icloud again now im still locked out and eventually you just reformat and consider ending it all

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I also like how if you arent logged into icloud it will incessantly try to reconnect every couple minutes as well as if you try to use any kind of stock apple application. Each time prompting a always-on-top login box that steals focus. I hate the gosh dang cloud so much

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lysidas posted:

lol forever of remote authentation of your login credentials on a personal machine

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Incomplete Fish posted:

backup your keychain i mean cmon.

make ~/Library/Keychains/ sync with drop box or something idk. That way when it happens again you just have to reimport it and maybe rename it at the most.

This happens to me all of the time; I learned very quickly that associating your login account to iCloud forces you to enter a world of pain when things don't work right. The argument against storing your keychain in multiple (offsite) locations is probably Bad Security. idc beats losing all my passwords.

the keychain file was backed up with time machine. i restored it from the other day but somehow, some MAGICAL loving APPLE WAY, my icloud password retroactively no longer works for it. i tried restoring it from a few days back. no go.

DO NOT USE YOUR APPLE ID TO SIGN INTO YOUR MAC. EVER. Learned my lesson.

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

Incomplete Fish posted:

make ~/Library/Keychains/ sync with drop box or something idk

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Lysidas posted:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Lysidas posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
on the mac the iCloud Drive is called whatever but on the PC there is whatever and whatever(1) and the Mac uses the (1) but doesn't say it is

it's ducked

I should just use Dropbox
is that in Mac?

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Lysidas posted:

i could even log into my dumb windows 7 work computer when not connected to the work network

ms wins

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
are iCloud logins just like signing into iCloud or is it like windows 10 where you can sign into a user account using your apple id

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
i wish i could gently caress ibutts but no woman will come near me :(

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

echinopsis posted:

on the mac the iCloud Drive is called whatever but on the PC there is whatever and whatever(1) and the Mac uses the (1) but doesn't say it is

it's ducked

is that in Mac?

this is hwo mac users communicate?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

computer parts posted:

are iCloud logins just like signing into iCloud or is it like windows 10 where you can sign into a user account using your apple id

yeah i hosed it up, it's like win 10 but logging in with apple id, in fact i wonder where ms got the idea...

craisins posted:

i could even log into my dumb windows 7 work computer when not connected to the work network

ms wins
USUALLY if things are working fine, you can login with your apple id even if your mac is offline. it definitely caches your poo poo. that cache is what im guessing hosed up for me big time.

echinopsis posted:

it's ducked

is that in Mac?

?

but yes dropbox works fine on mac like it has for almost ten years.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use onedrive, op.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Last Chance posted:

yeah i hosed it up, it's like win 10 but logging in with apple id, in fact i wonder where ms got the idea...

from their own product which does the same thing is my wild guess

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

use onedrive, op.

extremely do not, after restoring my os it turned every file into a 58 byte stub. it's a travesty they don't have versioning on all files

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
there's a known bug where icloud won't accept the correct password if you change it on another device while logged out or something, it happened to my ipad and it was a loving pain in the rear end

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

DO NOT USE YOUR APPLE ID TO SIGN INTO YOUR MAC. EVER. Learned my lesson.
well, yeah, like no poo poo. why would you ever do that?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

quote:

NEVER USE ... MAC

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Last Chance posted:

last night i was working on a project for a client and MY GIRLFRIEND CALLED, i took the call and came back and my screen was locked (NORMAL) BUT my iCloud password WOULDNT LET ME LOG BACK IN TO MY MAC. no one had changed my password, the password worked on another device.

the next few hours involved me resetting my apple id password, my keychain being completely broken and unrecoverable, a time machine restore, and countless other attempts at recovering precious passwords over years of my keychain growing.

i had to settle for following a ton of steps to get my icloud keychain back, which is only a partial list of passwords i needed.

now i've always defended apple like a drooling loving retard but this really pissed me off. one minute i was working, next i was metaphorically crawling on my knees CJing my computer. WHY???

i am on a deadline with this project and i can't loving believe this happened. now all of my IDevices are in weird states of not being logged into iCloud and i have tofix each one individually gently caress icloud

turn off caps lock.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i fiexed my girlfriend's macbook keychain over christmas because her it department couldn't figure out how to temporarily rename the password store to make it generate a new one, i guess

ok well that's the only story i have about this stuff, k, bye

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
icloud suxors and im glad u got pwned big time

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

lol

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
i'm signed into icloud on my mac for notes and maybe a couple other things

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Last Chance posted:

i had a similar issue. basically both my Mac and iPhone decided to unauthorized iCloud Keychain at once, and since neither were authorized, neither could be used to authorize the other.

thankfully, the passwords are still there on the Mac, so it can be fixed.

i did a bunch of random crap, but i'm not sure anything i did actually fixed it and hitting "reset keychain" may have just worked without really resetting the keychain.

anyway take a breather, everything works. it sucks but it's not as bad as using windows everyday trust me.

but yeah timb needs to fix it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

anyway take a breather, everything works. it sucks but it's not as bad as using windows everyday trust me.

actually windows works great and has the best software library and drivers. everything works, and works better on Windows. CJs that CJ themselves into oblivion notwithstanding.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey i might need to use a usb to ethernet dongle on my mac laptop, will any suffice or will I need an aplpe one? or is apple on ehtr eonly optn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
use thunderbolt if you need to do fast file transfer through gigabit

the apple usb ethernet adapter is nice if you want ethernet right now on your macbook, iphone or ipad and dont want to bother with any drivers in osx or ios

• Locked thread