Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Last Chance posted:

last night i was working on a project for a client and MY GIRLFRIEND CALLED, i took the call and came back and my screen was locked (NORMAL) BUT my iCloud password WOULDNT LET ME LOG BACK IN TO MY MAC. no one had changed my password, the password worked on another device.

the next few hours involved me resetting my apple id password, my keychain being completely broken and unrecoverable, a time machine restore, and countless other attempts at recovering precious passwords over years of my keychain growing.

i had to settle for following a ton of steps to get my icloud keychain back, which is only a partial list of passwords i needed.

now i've always defended apple like a drooling loving retard but this really pissed me off. one minute i was working, next i was metaphorically crawling on my knees CJing my computer. WHY???

i am on a deadline with this project and i can't loving believe this happened. now all of my IDevices are in weird states of not being logged into iCloud and i have tofix each one individually gently caress icloud

tim, why? why is this so hard? figure out the loving INTERNET TIM.

i had a similar issue. basically both my Mac and iPhone decided to unauthorized iCloud Keychain at once, and since neither were authorized, neither could be used to authorize the other.

thankfully, the passwords are still there on the Mac, so it can be fixed.

i did a bunch of random crap, but i'm not sure anything i did actually fixed it and hitting "reset keychain" may have just worked without really resetting the keychain.

anyway take a breather, everything works. it sucks but it's not as bad as using windows everyday trust me.

but yeah timb needs to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Smythe posted:

actually windows works great and has the best software library and drivers. everything works, and works better on Windows. CJs that CJ themselves into oblivion notwithstanding.

i have strong reservations about your judgement. unless, of course, you're doing "trolling"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i have signifincatly less success with getting thigs to work on osx, whereas on windows I can almost always find a fast solution

if you have created a mental map of what setting is in what control panel, then god bless you

echinopsis posted:

STILL can't get wifi access to my printer on osx reliable and hae to go plug that poo poo in everytime, where as windows has no problem

i would imagine it's an old printer? look for the "made for iPhone" or "AirPrint" logo when you get a printer. I got one for under $100 canadian earth dollars. i think the majority have this now. but check to be sure.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Last Chance posted:

yeah everything's back to normal now i think, except my airport password was stored in the lost keychain so i recently had to hard reset the airport because i didnt have admin access to it anymore.

i thought that was gonna be a pain in the rear end though because it was annoying setting up airport to use PPoE initially, but i was able to just "restore previous airport settings" and reset the password no prob. at least tim made that part easy on me.

still though, i'm never using my appleid to login to my machine EVER AGAIN.

i think this is a slightly different problem that i had. apple signed me out for security reasons. that's actually pretty cool that they could detect (falsely) a security breach and lock me out of my laptop. i think i reset my password with my phone and kept on trucking with no problem.

if i'm ever murdered i can RIP knowing no one will find my hentai.

• Locked thread